Santander to Foz do Arehlo at Easter (1 Viewer)

May 8, 2010
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2010
I'm looking for advice re the journey from Santander to Foz do Arehlo at Easter. We're taking the ferry which lands in Santander on Weds afternoon 1st April - two days before Good Friday.

We intend to spend the first night at Cabarceno. We will be spending about six weeks away, but want to meet friends in Foz towards the end of the following week.

Via Michelin is showing three different routes - all of them mostly motorway, and never having been to inland Portugal, we've no idea which one to take.

The routes are E70-E80 via Salamanca, Guarda and Coimbra; E70, A52 via Leon, Chaves and Aveiro; andE70, A 66 via Salamaca and Caceres.

We don't mind travelling on motorways to get there, but we do want to see some of the country as well.

We like to take things fairly easily, preferring to drive for no more than 4 hours per day - preferably much less.

Looking at the map, some of the roads look frighteningly hilly! I'm very nervous of heights!

All and any advice about routes and potential stop-overs gratefully accepted.

Many thanks
Chris

makems

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2011
Ingleby Barwick,,Teesside
Funster No
MH
Sadly had to give up
Exp
2010-2017
The route via Salamanca and Caceres is a good route. Have done that before. Are you using campsites or aires/wilding?
I can't help with campsite but can recommend some free spots on the way down if that's what you are interested in.

OP
OP
bellabee
May 8, 2010
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2010
Thanks Makems. I suspected that this might be the best route, although slightly longer than the other two. It looks to be the least hilly! I'm interested in both free spots and camp sites. Forgot to say - we'll most likely have the dog with us.
Many thanks
Chris

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
Just a warning about Spain at Easter Week. It will be vary busy (I think they call it Sama Santa) and many places will be full to bursting.

Have a look on this web page, they will be celebrating all that week.

OP
OP
bellabee
May 8, 2010
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2010
Just a warning about Spain at Easter Week. It will be vary busy (I think they call it Sama Santa) and many places will be full to bursting.

Have a look on this web page, they will be celebrating all that week.
Thanks for the heads-up Keith. Yes, that's been concerning me, but we're constrained for dates because the friends we are meeting in Portugal are teachers, and can only have the Easter weeks off!
I've more or less worked out an itinerary now, and intend to book ahead, and map out some aires as well.
many thanks
Chris

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Stayed at the aire in Caceres twice, really handy for the town - though it's an uphill walk going LOL Not a huge town, but very pleasant.

Somewhere near Caceres there's a campsite which has a bathroom cabin on each pitch! I know it's one of the ones the C&CC suggest to use for people on the way to the rally at Camping Albufeira - but no personal experience.

Oh PS Semana Santa !

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
bellabee
May 8, 2010
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2010
By way of info., after a lot of research (including looking at videos of some of the roads on you tube), the route we're planning to take is Santander, Tordesillas, Cuidad Rodrigo, Almeida, Tomar, Foz do Arelho. We hope to spend at least one night at each of these places and break the journey into easy chunks.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back