Which inverter? (1 Viewer)

Nov 14, 2009
normandy
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
16 years
I have a new satelite reciever and its mains powered so i need to run it through one my inverters. The box is rated at 30 watts. I have a cheap 300 watt inverter and a 600watt sterling pure sine wave inverter , which one would do the job more efficiently? Or should i buy an even smaller one? Cheers sean

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Fair chance that the 300 watt will be the best suited, but it depends on he efficiency figures for each.

Oops sorry, missed the two different types, thought it was just a size thing, I would go with the pure sine as well.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
seanoo
Nov 14, 2009
normandy
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
16 years
I would have bought a 12v sat receiver....no need to weigh up the best inverter then.
they dont make a quality 12v receiver capable of picking up the bbcs , itv and ch4 down here in almeria. with this box i have all these channels on my oyster .

OP
OP
seanoo
Nov 14, 2009
normandy
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
16 years
Fair chance that the 300 watt will be the best suited, but it depends on he efficiency figures for each.

Oops sorry, missed the two different types, thought it was just a size thing, I would go with the pure sine as well.
thats what i thought , surely the smaller inverter would take a bit less from my batterys to do the same job.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
thats what i thought , surely the smaller inverter would take a bit less from my batterys to do the same job.

Hi Sean

If the smaller one is not sine wave it might fry the circuits in your box, or at least not work. what they take out depends on the efficiency.

I had a non sine wave 2kw and it was B useless it would have taken about 15 minutes do do a 2 minute job in the microwave, I know that is different to a sat box but some things especially with circuits in dont like the non sine wave jobbies, our Nespresso machine just would not work.

OP
OP
seanoo
Nov 14, 2009
normandy
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
16 years
Hi Sean

If the smaller one is not sine wave it might fry the circuits in your box, or at least not work. what they take out depends on the efficiency.

I had a non sine wave 2kw and it was B useless it would have taken about 15 minutes do do a 2 minute job in the microwave, I know that is different to a sat box but some things especially with circuits in dont like the non sine wave jobbies, our Nespresso machine just would not work.
hi martin , i tried it last night on the 300 watt jobbie and it appeared to work fine for a couple of hours , not too hot or anything. just a shame i cant get a 12v sat box to do the job as i like to keep everything 12v in the van.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Pure sine, always best.

not always.. if you are only planning to run resistive or induction loads then a modified sine wave inverter is more efficient, cheaper and less to go wrong ..

if you need to run more sensitive electronic equipment Pure Sine Wave are recommended.
For a sat box best to use a pure sine wave.. quasi may work but it can introduce noise and may affect signal quality..

If unsure or don't understand then buy a Pure Sine wave.. but it's important to size correctly..

Try not to run a small load on a big inverter, that is inefficient, ideally the load should be about 80% of the inverter full load rating..

so to run the OPs sat box, which is only 30watt, a 1o0watt pure sine wave would be best ,

running on a 600watt is inefficient.

edit.. smallest pure sine wave I can find is 200watt

Last edited:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Looks like I'm out of date, comes as a surprise to me, not others. From a well reputed manufacturer...

General opinion over the last few years was that the quasi-sine wave inverter was dead and the pure sine-wave inverter would rule the world (an opinion not shared by Sterling). Sales of quasi-sine wave inverters have continued to out-grow sales of pure sine-wave, proving that there is plenty of life left in this technology. The principle reason is that most of the equipment such as mobile phones, TVs, drill chargers and all that type of equipment which used to have a problem working with quasi-sine wave tends to now work fine on quasi-sine as the effected equipment tends to use a switch mode power supplies in the design which works fine with quasi sine wave. This meant that rather than the problems getting worse over the years the problems have diminished, however, this is not to say that the odd microwave, drill, vacuum cleaner would not work (if there is a thyristor control circuit employed then this can still be an issue) but there is no question this is becoming more rare as the years go past, plus, it usually is a lot cheaper to replace a £35 microwave to a different model which will work rather than spend £700 on a sine wave model to make it work .

Sterling has invested in a new range of quasi-sine inverters because they are smaller, lower cost, offer better performance, are more efficient and more reliable than sine-wave. We, at Sterling, have always found the quasi-sine wave inverter more than adequate for general requirements in boats and vehicles. There is still the odd appliance, such as washing machines, where quasi-sine wave inverters simply do not work but all in all they do a great job - especially considering their cost.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back