Free Member
Nov 27, 2014
Lower Froyle, Alton, Hampshire Surrey borders
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since March 2014
We bought a new Motorhome this year (Our first!) and went for an extended break around France, Portugal & Spain. We wern't sure how long we would be gone but looking at our various insurances - House, cars, pet etc found that most had restrictions beyond 30 days.
I managed to get our householders insurance to extend the period the property could be left unoccupied to 60 days but no more. I had to cancel pet insurance and take out a fresh pokicy but cover not so good. Our car insurance was due to expire whilst we were away but no insurer would quote for a renewal that was more than 30 days away.
How do you all manage when away for say, 3 months or more?

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Pet insurance: haven't got any we have a sink fund instead
House Insurance: got a family member to stay at home for us
Vehicle insurance: use Safeguard unlimited european cover.
As for the car put it in the garage and sorned it the insurance won't be due till we return.
Bobs your uncle all sorted and enjoying the sunshine in Spain now.

OP
OP
Norm

Norm

Free Member
Nov 27, 2014
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since March 2014
Thanks for that.
Pet Insurance. We take our dog with us but due to restrictions changed insurers to PETPROTECT who provide unlimited travel cover although restricted max pay out.
House. We don't have anybody to housesit.
Motorhome Insurance no problem. We are with Comfort.
Cars. Left them in garage but if not insured there is still a risk of Fire or Theft. Hadn't thought of SORN. Good point.
What about Health Insurance ? That also has restrictions on amount of time away. Even with annual policies.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
What about Health Insurance ? That also has restrictions on amount of time away. Even with annual policies.

no need if you have your EHIC card .. covers you in all EU countries http://www.nhs.uk/NHSEngland/Healthcareabroad/EHIC/Pages/about-the-ehic.aspx

IMO private medical insurance is a con.. the only extra cover it provides is the cost of repatriating a corpse

we traveled for three years abroad with two kids and used the EHIC several times for minor injuries and ailments in both Spain and France.. service and treatment was great ..

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Thanks for that.
Pet Insurance. We take our dog with us but due to restrictions changed insurers to PETPROTECT who provide unlimited travel cover although restricted max pay out.
House. We don't have anybody to housesit.
Motorhome Insurance no problem. We are with Comfort.
Cars. Left them in garage but if not insured there is still a risk of Fire or Theft. Hadn't thought of SORN. Good point.
We just take out travel insurance with Insure & go backpackers bronze £132 with med screening covers both of us.

Sep 16, 2010
Bungay Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TrackerEKS
Exp
Since 2010
No pet insurance for our dog..
A kindly neighbour to pop into our house regularly.
ADAC plus for breakdowns and some medi care.
EHIC card.
Sorted.
Have a great trip.
Mitch.

OP
OP
Norm

Norm

Free Member
Nov 27, 2014
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since March 2014
Unfortunately a neighbour popping in doesn't count with Insurers as property "Occupied" in accordance with standard policy wording. Most Insurers restrict period to when "unoccupied" to 30 days. More than that and insurance nul and void.
Breakdown & repatriation we see as essential and we have that with Comfort Insurance.
Dog always insured for health/injury at home. Wouldn't want to be uninsured abroad
Have EHIC but it is very restricting and won't get you home!
Norm

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
Camping and Caravanning Club for house insurance, can't remember what the limit is but we are in Spain for 5 months and it covers that.
ADAC for breakdown cover and I renewed my car insurance which is parked up at home over the internet.
No travel insurance but have used the EHIC card and we pay for the vet as required.

Mike

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Vehicle insurance.....do it online when its due
and if the road tax becomes due do that online also.

The magic of the internet.

OP
OP
Norm

Norm

Free Member
Nov 27, 2014
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since March 2014
Yes, I ended up renewing car insurance on the internet - when we had wifi - but it was not so easy to research it as I would have done at home. As a result I paid more than I would have done!
I'll try camping & caravan club although I thought they had same restrictions. If I am right Mike, you could find you arn't insured for your house at all!
Norm

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
We bought a new Motorhome this year (Our first!) and went for an extended break around France, Portugal & Spain. We wern't sure how long we would be gone but looking at our various insurances - House, cars, pet etc found that most had restrictions beyond 30 days.
I managed to get our householders insurance to extend the period the property could be left unoccupied to 60 days but no more. I had to cancel pet insurance and take out a fresh pokicy but cover not so good. Our car insurance was due to expire whilst we were away but no insurer would quote for a renewal that was more than 30 days away.
How do you all manage when away for say, 3 months or more?

Car insurance easy,,,do it on line whilst away. House insurance,,get offspring or friend to sleep in it a couple of times a month...BUSBY.

Mar 21, 2010
Funster No
NORM. Yes the CCC do insure households and we have a excellent quote from them.

colyboy

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
On the subject of pet insurance my daughter's dog insurer took her money for years and then refused to renew when the dog got to a particular age which was under 10! Can't remember the company. Nowadays vets bills seem to be very OTT and there seem to be some who play on the emotional stress.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
On the subject of pet insurance my daughter's dog insurer took her money for years and then refused to renew when the dog got to a particular age which was under 10! Can't remember the company. Nowadays vets bills seem to be very OTT and there seem to be some who play on the emotional stress.

Think vets bills increased as Pet insurance became popular. BUSBY.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Have EHIC but it is very restricting and won't get you home!

Correct, it won't pay to have you brought home, but if I were ill in hospital I wouldn't worry about getting home until I were fit enough.. besides, where would you rather be treated.. France or the UK.. ?
Other than that I see no other restrictions unless you are going mountaineering ..

As it says, it is not travel insurance, but that is generally covered in your motorhome breakdown insurance.. Travel insurance is generally taken out by people who are flying or going by other public transport.

Each country's health system is different, and might not include all the things you would expect to get free of charge from the NHS. This means you may have to make a patient contribution to the cost of your care. For more information, see our county-by-country guide.

The EHIC will cover any medical treatment that becomes necessary during your trip, such as an illness or accident.
Tip_C.jpg

In an emergency, you can dial the European emergency number 112 from any telephone or mobile phone.

• The card gives access to reduced-cost or free medical treatment from state healthcare providers. This includes treatment of a chronic or pre-existing medical condition that becomes necessary during your visit.
  • It includes routine maternity care (not only because of illness or an accident), as long as you're not going abroad to give birth. However, if the birth happens unexpectedly, the card will cover the cost of all medical treatment for mother and baby that is linked to the birth.
  • The card covers the provision of oxygen and kidney dialysis, although you will have to arrange and pre-book these treatments before you go on holiday. You can ask your GP or hospital for advice, but make sure you are not booked with a private healthcare provider, as these are not covered by the EHIC.
  • The card also covers routine medical care for people with pre-existing conditions that need monitoring.
CSE_45x45_183286803.jpg
The EHIC is not an alternative to travel insurance. It will not cover any private medical healthcare or costs, such as mountain rescue in ski resorts, being flown back to the UK, or lost or stolen property. Therefore, it is important to have both an EHIC and a valid private travel insurance policy. Some insurers now insist you hold an EHIC, and many will waive the excess if you have one.

The EHIC will not cover your medical expenses if you are going abroad specifically to have treatment (including giving birth). Read more about planned treatment abroad.

You may not be able to use the card in some parts of the EEA, as state-provided healthcare may not be available.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back