Elddis Autoquest"SoLid" Construction. (1 Viewer)

May 7, 2013
RUK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On our 2nd MH now a AutoTrail Savannah which we're absolutely delighted with
Just one final request.
We are about to purchase from a dealer a relatively new Autoquest 195.(2013) .
I am fully aware that this new form of construction only commenced in Jan 13, but wondered if the Funsters had any experience of this, which I really should know about.
Thanks in advance
Ian

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
It no doubt works but don't believe the ads!
If there is anything in common in with F1 car contruction, it will be from a few decades ago!

Incidentally, many of these new construction methods the manufacturers crow on about have been used by some continental manufacturers for decades too!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
IanF
May 7, 2013
RUK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Have a look at a recent post on the caravan talk forum as Elddis use the same method for caravans and MHs
http://www.caravantalk.co.uk/community/topic/101287-98-damp/

Having said that we have a 2014 Aspire and are delighted with it. I have a damp meter and have so far seen no evidence of damp.
Thank you for this link. I'm delighted you're having no problems but given the additional links I found and the damning info contained therein I might be having second thoughts.

Upvote 0

wingman

Free Member
Feb 10, 2013
Romford, Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Lo-Profile
Exp
Since 2012
If you've got two motorhomers, or reviews - you've got a disagreement !!!

All I can say is, I've got an Autoquest 'Majestic' 165 (2014) model out of the Marquis dealership. I was attracted by the SoLiD construction because of the strength, fewer joints and guarantees about water ingress.

I know a few people (both Caravanners and Motorhomers) who are quite happy? Proof of the pudding I guess? I've had no problems and don't envisage any.

Hope this helps
James

Upvote 0

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Sorry but historically about as poor as a camper gets! "IMO"......Buy german, import, and save a bundle:coffee:

Upvote 0

RowleyBirkinQC

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 20, 2014
Dazed & Confused
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
My parents downsized to the Accordo 105 last year and are very happy with it so far (slight issue with bed mechanism failing early on, since fixed).

They are currently wintering in said van somewhere in down in Spain, mocking my plight in this Gulag via SMS text messages with reports of drinking wine under blue skies in temperatures of 20-25c etc etc....

I'm not jealous at all.

Much.

Upvote 0

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
I would like to hope that a 2014 or even a 2013 van has no signs of water ingress (yet).
I have to say there is very little "new" in these methods that Elddis are proclaiming.

Having owned both an Elddis Autoquest prior to our current "continental" van I have no doubt
which one I feel has the better overall build quality throughout all aspects of the van, and it's not the Elddis.

Upvote 0

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Historically, perhaps, but newer ones seem to be well thought of.

dont care to be honest!lol why risk it when manufacturers with good reputation & providence around. makes little sense to me anyway, as would not touch a UK manufactured van anyway....

Upvote 0

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
dont care to be honest!lol why risk it when manufacturers with good reputation & providence around. makes little sense to me anyway, as would not touch a UK manufactured van anyway....
Fair enough - sometimes a bad reputation can be hard to shake off. We are pleased with our Pilote but although better in almost every way some corners have been cut compared with the AutoSleeper Broadway we had previously

Upvote 0

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Hmmm......pilote v elddis.....Let me think about that for one second?!?! :)
To be honest, an Elddis is one brand we never considered. Mainly for the reasons you outlined, at least probably subconsciously. Finding a continental 7 metre van with a huge lounge, proper kitchen and a full width bathroom, it just sold itself

Upvote 0

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
irrespective of layout you're bought a respected quality product that must give an element of peace of mind....

Upvote 0

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
irrespective of layout you're bought a respected quality product that must give an element of peace of mind....
Well, we did Google both the brand and the dealer reputation before we went ahead....... always worth doing, of course and basically what the OP has done here. I don't think there is much wrong with their new vans at all - just not for us. It is a big market with loads of choice. Good luck to the OP (y)

Upvote 0

WAG2CRU

Free Member
May 31, 2012
Argyll
Funster No
MH
Hymer B654SL Star Edition
Exp
since2012
A simple google search will tell you all you need to know.

If you are still unsure, ask someone who has attended the relevant training course and then attempted to repair one what they think.

barge and pole are two words that spring to mind.;-)

Upvote 0
Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
I liked the reply in the first link;

" wonder what SOLID really means? Soggy Or Lets In Damp? Still Only Lucky If Dry? ":LOL:

Upvote 0

wingman

Free Member
Feb 10, 2013
Romford, Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Lo-Profile
Exp
Since 2012
Oi! You Elddis-bashing lot :D

Sure, I'd fancy an A-class German van, but it was just a question of dosh. One knows that Elddis and the like aren't top o' the range when we buy one BUT, IMO they offer value. For a start, I've got more 240v socket outlets than German vans that cost 80k! Got loads of skylights, extractor fan, cab air-con, microwave, cooker with hot plate, 4m awning, TV signal amp'.......... The list is endless and all for a tad over 40k.

The van looks great in and out. Do I want leather seats and an over-engineered designer interior? Nah.

I had an Autoquest on an '04 plate before this one - great little van.
Functional is the word. AND judging by the comments on here, the expensive MH's aren't without faults either!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
IanF
May 7, 2013
RUK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
A simple google search will tell you all you need to know.

If you are still unsure, ask someone who has attended the relevant training course and then attempted to repair one what they think.

barge and pole are two words that spring to mind.;-)
May be being extraordinary thick but I can't find anything on a Google search relating to problems with SoLid Elddis MHs at all -can you advise please
Ian

Upvote 0

WAG2CRU

Free Member
May 31, 2012
Argyll
Funster No
MH
Hymer B654SL Star Edition
Exp
since2012
enter Elddis Solid construction, plenty of comments about the bonded construction which is I understand common to both caravans and motorhomes. Though the caravans have been around longer.

Upvote 0

westy77

Free Member
Feb 17, 2014
Essex
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
May be being extraordinary thick but I can't find anything on a Google search relating to problems with SoLid Elddis MHs at all -can you advise please
Ian

On an iPad i typed "SoLiD Elddis" into the search bar up top, the third hit links to post about problems.

Upvote 0
May 16, 2014
Ammanford
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend
Exp
since May 2014
Very, very satisfied with our 2014 Aspire. yes, there are better vans on the market, a few offer more facilities (not many though) a few are undoubtedly better quality but almost all of them are also considerable more expensive.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
IanF
May 7, 2013
RUK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Very, very satisfied with our 2014 Aspire. yes, there are better vans on the market, a few offer more facilities (not many though) a few are undoubtedly better quality but almost all of them are also considerable more expensive.
Can I ask and assume you've had no water ingress problems at all

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back