Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
Since 2011, previously a tugger
Hi all

I've always managed to avoid having to hump the slow cooker about until now! Just replaced our old heavy one with a Morphy Richards model that weighs in at about a kilo due to having an alloy crock pot. So I've now given in under pressure to let it have a place in the motorhome next trip.

I then got thinking... :rolleyes:

I have an inverter that I normally only use to charge things up, it's just 200w, the slow cooker is 163w , would still drain battery if not on hook up :cautious: but, hows about using it whilst mobile, say on one of those wintery 4 or 5 hour drives down through France :).

It goes without saying it would need to not be overfull and placed low down and secured.

Am I daft, probably :D, but anyone done anything as silly ? Dave

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
:Eeek:
my wife once made a suggestion that she could put the kettle on and bungee it to the cooker :Eeek:
I wont repeat my answer
but if you want to have a pot of boiling hot scalding food flying around if something go's wrong with all the tins cups plates that's your risk
o I forgot it's a murphy Richard's it should be fine :rofl:
bill

OP
OP
Dave and Ginny

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
:Eeek:
but if you want to have a pot of boiling hot scalding food flying around if something go's wrong with all the tins cups plates that's your risk :rofl:
bill

That's a very good point Bill, there would be enough rubbish flying around in the even of 'heavy braking' without being whacked on the side of the face by a hot port chop carrots and potatoes :happy:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
I think the operative word here is 'secure' .. and using a bit of common sense..

for example, it could be strapped down in a locker or garage floor .. in a cupboard or under a seat ... and the lid would need to be held on tight.

certainly don't want flying pork chops :LOL:

IIRC Bob and Jane tried this out , they put it in the kitchen sink..

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

BwB

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 3, 2011
Suffolk UK
Funster No
MH
Resting b'twix vans
Exp
Since 1990
Deadly flying pork chops aside, make sure your slow cooker works with your type of inverter - the wattage you have sounds good enough (the cooker clicks on and off when up to temp so should not overload the inverter).

My cooker has a bit of computer gubbins in it and wouldn't turn on properly with my first inverter despite plenty of wattage. When I later replaced with a full sine-wave inverter it worked a treat. I've got a Tefal slow cooker with a locking lid and this stands secure in a locker when on the road.

BwB

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 3, 2011
Suffolk UK
Funster No
MH
Resting b'twix vans
Exp
Since 1990
Do you lot have a celebration every time you complete a trip without crashing or heavy braking??
Nope. Neither do I have a celebration when I complete a trip without the cooker on, despite the fact that I could have gallons of diesel flooding the road, gas bottles shooting past my ears or being hit the back of the head with a water tank. Because... they're all secured. Simples :)

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
We regularly cook on long journeys using the Remoska or Slow Cooker nothing better than a meal simmering away ready for when you stop. We have a socket above the sink from the inverter so cooking item is secured in the sink and off we go.:)
You wont believe it but we've been doing it for years and years and we're still alive. :eek::eek:
Shock horror we have the hab heating on as well if its cold.:whistle::whistle:

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Our MH cuts the power to the sockets when the engine's on, so I'm thinking about a Mr D's to do the same thing, more places to secure it I think as it doesn't need to be near a socket.

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
We have a small inverter which plugs into a cigarette lighter socket which powers our slow cooker when travelling
The slow cooker stands in the sink with a damp dish cloth on the top to recuce rattles and catch any splashes
Works a treat !

OP
OP
Dave and Ginny

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
Thanks for all the comments, I'm quite sold on the idea and Ginny is positively thrilled, not only does she get to take the slow cooker, but it looks like it will do it's magic whilst travelling! I don't think the model we have has any fancy electronics, just a low, med and high selector dial so hopefully it will work ok from our basic inverter. Cheers again (y)

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
If you open the rooflight a tadge and make sure you strap it down, excellent results can be had with a barbeque on the move too!

Another shrimp anyone?::bigsmile:
We tried BBQing with the roof light open but Mrs C tripped over it and almost fell off, thankfully no food was spilled

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
We have the slow cooker doing it's thing quite often when we are driving. We've cooked on the move for at least 30 years and we are still alive :)

This is the way we do it - slow cooker in the washing up bowl on the floor at the back of the MH just in front of our fixed bed - with the washing up bowl held in place with the long hard cushion we have never used elsewhere plus a few other small soft cushions to stop any movement.

I have a plan to put a strap in that will go round the washing up bowl and hold it even more securely.

Jan 13, 2014
Leeds - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
40+
I think the operative word here is 'secure' .. and using a bit of common sense..

for example, it could be strapped down in a locker or garage floor .. in a cupboard or under a seat ... and the lid would need to be held on tight.

certainly don't want flying pork chops :LOL:

IIRC Bob and Jane tried this out , they put it in the kitchen sink..

"Common Sense" didn't that used to be normal! Be careful you might get taken to task on such a statement.(n)

Jan 24, 2010
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 2007
We regularly cook on long journeys using the Remoska or Slow Cooker nothing better than a meal simmering away ready for when you stop. We have a socket above the sink from the inverter so cooking item is secured in the sink and off we go.:)
You wont believe it but we've been doing it for years and years and we're still alive. :eek::eek:
Shock horror we have the hab heating on as well if its cold.:whistle::whistle:
Tell 'em about that incredible piece of engineering you did to secure the remoska on the move...go one...make them all marvel at you skills:ROFLMAO:

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Hi.
Do not be surprised,when you see me on,"Dragons den". Asking for their backing for my plan to market signs that say... " Beware this vehicle is carrying an "Active Slow cooker/Ramoska ?/Deep Fat Fryer" etc. It will make a change from,"Show dogs/little Princess/Mums taxi etc".
Do you think this will be approved and get their backing ? Can i order a New Vauxhall Cresta ?
Tea Bag

bernardfeay

Free Member
Nov 18, 2009
Bolton
Funster No
MH
hymer exsis
Exp
10 years
I know people, not me of course, who cook supper in the gas oven while driving. I also understand the wife boils the kettle and makes a cup of tea. And a very welcome cup of tea it is.... so I'm told.

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Thanks for all the comments, I'm quite sold on the idea and Ginny is positively thrilled, not only does she get to take the slow cooker, but it looks like it will do it's magic whilst travelling! I don't think the model we have has any fancy electronics, just a low, med and high selector dial so hopefully it will work ok from our basic inverter. Cheers again (y)

Remember to keep below 40mph :rolleyes:

Sep 10, 2013
Chelmsford Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Getting better
The smell of cooking food would drive me crazy, I would want to eat it NOW! I have low ability to resist food especially when peckish!

joncris

Free Member
Jan 11, 2011
Where it matters
Funster No
MH
Rimor Katamarano 12p +
Exp
As I understand it the inverter needs to be 3 times the wattage of the item you intend to power up So im your case that suggests an inverter of at least 400w

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back