Free Member
Dec 5, 2011
norfolk
Funster No
MH
Low profile C Class
Exp
Since 1997
We are currently in Beni for our first ever visit, staying at the Presidente Hotel, no complaints about the hotel, apart from the tired bathroom, but as for Beni itself, well, not for us I'm afraid, got neck ache looking up at all those hotels, nice beach, plenty of places to eat, weather in the 20's, but cold at night, still warmer than the UK I guess.
But we don't like it, we prefer smaller resorts, with a more Spanish feel, never seen so many Zimmer frames, mobility scooters or walking sticks in one place, hordes of people walking! along the seafront.
The weather and the low cost of eating out are the main benefits, but I doubt if we will be returning to stay in the resort.

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Benidorm is like Marmite.. Love or hate it....
More room for the Beni lovers and there are plenty of them.. (y)

But your comments are very fair... If it's not for you then people should just say so and move on.
It's when you get these "bashers" who think just because they like tea, books, no kids, little chains around their patch of caravan area etc no one else should like something different...

Get out of town if you can, lots of nice areas away for the build up..
No10 bus to altea or the train to Alicante etc...

oh.. And leave by the 25th as the wife and my sister are on their way !!!! :doh:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Benidorm is like Marmite.. Love or hate it....
More room for the Beni lovers and there are plenty of them.. (y)

But your comments are very fair... If it's not for you then people should just say so and move on.
It's when you get these "bashers" who think just because they like tea, books, no kids, little chains around their patch of caravan area etc no one else should like something different...

Get out of town if you can, lots of nice areas away for the build up..
No10 bus to altea or the train to Alicante etc...

oh.. And leave by the 25th as the wife and my sister are on their way !!!! :doh:

ps... I love tea, books are ok, kids are so-so... Little chains.. ARGGHHHH !!

Billy23

Free Member
Feb 10, 2012
On a planet...far, ....far away.
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On and off 1995
Very Spanish over this way, sometimes you have the beach at Matalascanas (Huelva province) to yourself.
IMG_20141230_153900.jpg

That's my wife (Judy) on that very beach 3 days ago, campsite just at the top of the beach cliff, not that we are on it as our house is not far away. Some people like Beni. others like myself like Spanish Spain. As it has been said, horses courses.

LAM

Apr 23, 2014
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Chausson 640 Welcome
Exp
Began with the purchase of our first, ever MH in 2014
The Old Town is lovely but busy at any time of the year. Take a look at Finnestrat (Gran Bali and down the hill) it's a lovely cove with lots of places to eat and as said, there are some great places out and around Benidorm :coolest::coolest::coolest::coolest:

OP
OP
injebreck99

injebreck99

Free Member
Dec 5, 2011
norfolk
Funster No
MH
Low profile C Class
Exp
Since 1997
We went to Finnestrat today on the No2 bus, nice place, but not like old Spain for us, we usually hire a car and explore inland, but had decided not to bother this week, maybe next tome from a different location
We had a fair idea what it would be like before we came, but decided to see if it was for us, now we know.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
I agree, far to many pedestrians clogging up the footpaths. Am of the opinion that if they cant walk faster than 8 MPH then they should be forced to purchase a mobility scooter. Benidorm would be a fantastic place if it wasn't for all those damned pedestrians on the footpath.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
We went to Finnestrat today on the No2 bus, nice place, but not like old Spain for us, we usually hire a car and explore inland, but had decided not to bother this week, maybe next tome from a different location
We had a fair idea what it would be like before we came, but decided to see if it was for us, now we know.

But old Spain has gone,,,its 2015 and Spain has moved with the times. In the old Spain forty years ago the food was rubbish as were the roads and toilets etc. Would not like to go back to that. BUSBY.

OP
OP
injebreck99

injebreck99

Free Member
Dec 5, 2011
norfolk
Funster No
MH
Low profile C Class
Exp
Since 1997
I agree, far to many pedestrians clogging up the footpaths. Am of the opinion that if they cant walk faster than 8 MPH then they should be forced to purchase a mobility scooter. Benidorm would be a fantastic place if it wasn't for all those damned pedestrians on the footpath.

We particularly like the 2 seater LWB versions, now with a Fireblade engine in.......!

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Benidorm is still a very popular Spanish town..easy to ignore the holligan type bars all in a small ghetto:giggle: who wwouldn't prefer the proper spain but its shut up out of season and you don't find a cheaper long stay winter destination than this....

Go there at easter! lovely weather, real nice by then even in the evenings, who likes skyscrapers for heavens sake....dont look up and ignore them:rolleyes:

to cold for me at this time of year..its the last place I would fly too..... but bet you paid peanuts:whistle:

Billy23

Free Member
Feb 10, 2012
On a planet...far, ....far away.
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On and off 1995
But old Spain has gone,,,its 2015 and Spain has moved with the times. In the old Spain forty years ago the food was rubbish as were the roads and toilets etc. Would not like to go back to that. BUSBY.

This area - Huelva province - is still like " old Spain" it is being dragged towards 2015......oh so slowly. Lovely!!(y)

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
hordes of people walking!.

They certainly are not here. Not safe to.

Get on the beach front at 11 tomorrow and do the coffee + brandy. Repeat until you like the place.

Folk don't go for the culture, they go for the microclimate and cheap good living.

The whole town changes dramatically south of the old town. More up market.

Sounds like you need Granada/Cordoba/Seville/Cadiz totally different.

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
never seen so many Zimmer frames, mobility scooters or walking sticks in one place, hordes of people walking! along the seafront.

"Disgusting" ....:Eeek:............. Having reached the ripe old age of 65.. all human`s should be put down... :giggler:

Humanely of course... :wink::rofl::rofl:

PORKSTER

Free Member
Sep 15, 2009
Sussex coast
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
learning
I totally get why people go this time of year some bits are horrid some bits are nice. Would I chose to go there for weekend with the bride no would I go with the boys ? Hell yeah if the bride allowed me.

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
Having just left there, it was much better than I expected. Perhaps as it was out of the busy season?
No hooligans or hen parties.
Lovely walk along the long beach.
This time of year, has to be better than the UK for a change.

Dec 20, 2010
birmingham
Funster No
MH
kon-tiki 669. mazda bongo
Exp
since2011
First went there in 1975 when I was in my 20s. I thought the same but have been back dozens of times in my 50s and 60s and love it. We get are new van April/ May and I hope to be there over the winter months.:Smile:

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs

I have reported that... :(

Rule 1 Be Nice.

This is a civilised place for public discussion. Help us make this a great place for conversation by always working to improve the discussion in some way, however small. If you are not sure your post adds to the conversation, think hard before posting. Be agreeable, even when you disagree..

Deleted User
Over the years we have visited every region of Spain either camping, vanning or on short cheap breaks and flights. We do not speak much Spanish but I have a better vocabulary for Spanish food and cuisine than some fluent Spanish speakers that we know, we love doing things the Spanish way.

Having said that we have also been to Benidorm many times, usually on a cheap short winter break which is enough for us, in our opinion there is enough variety there for most, lots of Spanish visitors in the winter.

For a bit of real Spain we have used the train into Alicante, stopped the night in a cheap hostal and done the Tapas thing. Hired a car and drove to Valencia and done the same, the hostal there was interesting, near the docks before the area was done up for the Americas Cup, turned out to have rooms to let by the hour!!:)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back