Safety cables for a trailer (1 Viewer)

Bryan

Free Member
Jul 19, 2007
Funster No
Hi,

Is it a legal requirement to use safety cables when towing a trailer? The type that keep the trailer attached to the Towing Vehicle (TV) in the event of the trailer becoming unhitched?

What about breakaway braking? The type that applies the breaks automatically in the event of the trailer becoming detached from the TV.

Thanks
Bryan

dazzer

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
In my house
Funster No
MH
Virtual RV!!
Exp
10 Years
Hi Bryan

Your brake buddy should have a breakaway connection that slams on the brakes when activated :thumb:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
hi bryan,

if its under 750kg it must now have a secondery cable or chain.....to stop it running away from the towcar if it comes undone.
imagine the mess thats gonna make at the back end.

if its over 750kg it must have a breakaway cable to apply the brakes if it comes undone. it doesnt need a secondery cable.

john.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
the trailer must also have a skid of some sort to stop the hitch hitting the road if it breaks away. suppose the jockey wheel takes care of that though.

OP
OP
Bryan

Bryan

Free Member
Jul 19, 2007
Funster No
Hi Bryan

Your brake buddy should have a breakaway connection that slams on the brakes when activated :thumb:

It does, Darren. But is it a legal requirement?

hi bryan,

if its under 750kg it must now have a secondery cable or chain.....to stop it running away from the towcar if it comes undone.
imagine the mess thats gonna make at the back end.

if its over 750kg it must have a breakaway cable to apply the brakes if it comes undone. it doesnt need a secondery cable.

john.

So in the example of a toad, John, a breakaway cable that applies the toads brakes in the event of a detachment is required by law? Cables that keep the trailer attached in the event of a detachment form the TV are only required by law if the trailer is under 750 kgs?

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
got it in one Bryan...:thumb:

your brakebuddy will do the same as a breakaway cable anyway.
if it becomes unhooked it will apply the stoppers.

if a <750kg comes off it will keep going til it hits something or stops naturally. hence the chain/cable to keep it with you even if its not under controll.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Bryan

Bryan

Free Member
Jul 19, 2007
Funster No
Thanks John.

In the states they MUST have the safety cables :Eeek::whatthe:

I'm glad I can make do with just the trailer coming to a stop whilst I drive off into the distance :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
before the cable rule was introduced i lost my 6 x 4 box trailer at the end of our drive.....luckily the lane is only used by us and one other house.

turned out the drive and the trailer went straight on into a wooden fence...putting a large hole in it. only doing about 5/10mph down hill.

the trailer weighs around 100kg:whatthe:

my fault for not checking the hitch was hooked on properly.:Doh:

imagine the damage at 50mph+:Eeek:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Thanks John.

In the states they MUST have the safety cables :Eeek::whatthe:

I'm glad I can make do with just the trailer coming to a stop whilst I drive off into the distance :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

you need one of those stickers on the back of your RV......

if you can read this sticker....wheres my toad!

i suppose if you had a regular brake system ie: an A frame, it would be a good idea to have a chain anyway at least you wouldnt have to go back for the toad...::bigsmile:

Last edited:

takeaflight

Free Member
Sep 4, 2007
Stratford-upon-Avon
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
Trailer brake requirements Link Removed

Don't wish to start anything but should the braking system on a trailer under 3500kg be mechanical as opposed to electrical.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Trailer brake requirements Link Removed

Don't wish to start anything but should the braking system on a trailer under 3500kg be mechanical as opposed to electrical.

item G.....

1. Braked trailers must be fitted with a parking brake that operates on at least two road wheels on the same axle. At all times it must be capable of being maintained in operation by direct mechanical action without the use of hydraulic, electric or pneumatic systems – i.e. Operated by rod or cable action. The efficiency of the handbrake must also comply with EEC Directive 71/320/EEC; i.e. It must be capable of holding a stationary trailer on a gradient of at least 16% (1 in 6.25)
i think this will be covered by the hand brake on the toad. no didferent to a hand brake on a trailer.

this will also be covered by the hand brake cable on the toad

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
this item could be a major stumbling block in the A frame legality debate though.

item D.

1. Any braked trailers manufactured after April 1989 must be fitted with a hydraulically damped coupling and auto reverse brakes to give braking efficiencies required by EEC Directive 71/320 (ECE13).
i'll be bringing this up in any future A frame debates......:winky:

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back