Free Member
Jan 11, 2015
Australia
Funster No
MH
Dont own one yet
Exp
Im a newbie
I am in the process of buying my first motorhome and have about 10K to spend.

I would love to see pics of what people have bought for round the same price.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Have you a rough idea what size you are after, number of berths?

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Broken Link Removed

then this

images

Not our actual vehicles but similar.

The Hi-Ace cost £6K in the min-bus configuration and we built the kitchen unit that fitted into the back. We had her for many years and she was scrapped when parts were no longer available. The kitchen area just lifted out when we needed to use it as a mini-bus. No loo in the Hi-Ace :)

The Hymer cost £8K ish and sold for slightly more when we had to sell it due to a house move and nowhere to store it. Last time I checked she was SORNed so is still around.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Aussietraveller

Aussietraveller

Free Member
Jan 11, 2015
Australia
Funster No
MH
Dont own one yet
Exp
Im a newbie
I like the Hymer did you do much travelling in it?

how did you find it for day to day use when away ?

We are after at least a 4berth as we wont to do about 6 months around Europe in it with my wife and 2yr son , so a little bit more room the better , but also would like to keep under 6 metres as a lot of people have said it would cut costs when travelling.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
The Hymer was wonderful. It was petrol so a bit expensive to run at 20 mpg on a good day. Once on site it tended to stay there as it wasn't easy to take for a jaunt to the supermarket.

We used it as a base when one of our children was kayaking at international level so it went round France quite a few times as well as the UK :) That (now grown up) child no longer kayaks although the others do.

It was great to drive even though it was long - but it slept 6 with ease and in great comfort.

Our current van is much shorter and also has a fixed bed. I'm not sure which layout I prefer to be honest. The overcab drop down bed on the Hymer I found difficult to push up, I never did acquire the knack of doing it. The rear lounge was huge and very sociable and I miss it - but I would also miss the garage on our present van if we did have a rear lounge. It's always a compromise.

We bought the Hymer in about 1997 or 1998 (??) from memory. We did do a lot of work on the engine. The original invoice for it when new was with the documentation and it had cost the original owners over £50,000 new in 1982.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
It's a dodgy price range, you can either get the bargain of a life time or one that's seriously over priced. There are loads about around the 5grand mark that are good enough for anything but then again lots of people with a dodgy one wanting 10 grand for the same thing. But on the other hand if you find someone who is desperate to sell a 15 grand one they may just take your ten.
I know it sounds vague but that's how the mh market is,it's definitely buyer beware.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
image.jpg
We paid three grand for this one , took us around france , pisa and down into spain, then sold it for the same money(y)

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Sorry, no pics that I can find, but we paid £8k for our second van ( the first was less but it was a real horror !)
It was a 1988/89 seven berth Hobby with 50k miles on her. A German import, fully decked out apart from a sat system.
Absolutely immaculate inside and out apart from some stone chips on the bonnet

There are LOADS of great bargains on older vans coming from Germany due to the cost of running them there ( something about higher road tax or some such.. canna remember though )

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
There is lots around at 10k -more a case of looking and making your mind up as in size and layout -My own van cost me a shade over 10k a good 8 yrs back -Still got and use her and come a couple of mths she will be advertised for sale (for sale now but not advertised) and I hope to get close-ish to the 10k I paid -of course what I hope for and actually get may well be two different things :D
terry
upload_2015-1-12_11-11-24.png
upload_2015-1-12_11-11-24.png

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Hi Aussietraveller... Terry who posted his 10k-sh van, is a well known chap on this site, so
is reliable.
How much did he slip you then Mitch ?
I got offered a tenner and a half used tube of sikaflex to say nice things.. ;)

Seriously though, if Terry has something for sale you can bet it will be top notch kit

Daifuse

Free Member
Feb 20, 2013
Milford Haven
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Since 2011
I bought an F plate Merc based Autotrail Chieftain, 7 berth for £4K four years ago. Used it for a couple of years touring the UK - it was rather slow but it helped us decide exactly what we wanted in a M/H. It was lots of fun and did what was required until we found our present Cheyenne.

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
You may have noticed it's hard to keep things on topic round here...

I looked extensively for a new motorhome last year and had arranged finance for 8k (so admittedly a little less)

Everything I looked at was either on its last legs or so old the spec was diabolical.

I actually did better by not using the finance and going for a much lower budget.

Dealers round here seem to be uninterested in having anything on their forecourts under 12k. Private sellers have very unrealistic expectations of what value their beloved motorhomes have.

I used Ebay and Autotrader to hunt down the deals. I wasn't a member of FUN then but if I was I would have posted my findings on here for advice.

Mind you I think the advice would have been to steer clear due to the issues with registration and insurance but that's a different story :)

Apr 18, 2009
Englishman in Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584, A Class
Exp
Not long enough!
You may have noticed it's hard to keep things on topic round here...

I looked extensively for a new motorhome last year and had arranged finance for 8k (so admittedly a little less)

Everything I looked at was either on its last legs or so old the spec was diabolical.

I actually did better by not using the finance and going for a much lower budget.

Dealers round here seem to be uninterested in having anything on their forecourts under 12k. Private sellers have very unrealistic expectations of what value their beloved motorhomes have.

I used Ebay and Autotrader to hunt down the deals. I wasn't a member of FUN then but if I was I would have posted my findings on here for advice.

Mind you I think the advice would have been to steer clear due to the issues with registration and insurance but that's a different story :)

Go on then start a new thread on your van and we will let you know if its a minger or not::bigsmile:::bigsmile::doh:

ponyboy

Free Member
Dec 19, 2012
Tasmania
Funster No
MH
Hobbyvan AKA Jinks
Exp
April 2012

I'm also an Aussie who's bought a camper in the UK. I don't doubt that you'll find what you're looking for, especially if you keep up the chat with the members here, they won't let you go too far wrong. Just be aware that you will probably have to waste about 1400 pounds - yep 1400 quid on insurance because of being an Aussie.
The only company that will insure Aussies is Down Under Insurance. Mine is a new camper but I have an idea that they may have an age limit on what they insure. Have a look into it
Cheers
Ponyboy

westy77

Free Member
Feb 17, 2014
Essex
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
At that money I would be looking at older Karmann's which are based on VW chassis. They will be LHD but for well under budget you can get the T3 Gypsy/Cheetah, most had the 1.6td engines (will never set any speed records), some were 2.1 petrols. As this is well under budget they can have the later TDi 1.9 engines fitted. Which a bit more work the Subaru flat four engines fit (there are companies that make the parts like gearbox adapter etc). If van is good (check for damp, they can leak) if you get a dry one they are great vans. All are four berth with C shape lounge.

Broken Link Removed

At around budget you can pick up the T4 based vans, (Cheetah) these have GRP bodies and the 2.4td engines, a bit over budget might find a 2.5tdi Colorado which are a nicer drive.

Broken Link Removed

Or for a bit over this is the cheapest LT35 (2.5tdi 102ps) based Missouri. 4 berth, should have 6 or at least 4 3 point seat belts, this is rear end bath/kitchen, with cab bed and middle area lounge/bed.

Broken Link Removed

OP
OP
Aussietraveller

Aussietraveller

Free Member
Jan 11, 2015
Australia
Funster No
MH
Dont own one yet
Exp
Im a newbie
I do like that Irish rover. Did it take you a while to find it ?(y)

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
A couple that I have bought in for much less than 10K.
A VW LT 28, built by a Dutch boatbuilder 4K.
A Tiffin Allegro with Cummins diesel 8K
They are out there, but you will have to kiss a lot of toads before you find your princess.
S6000253.JPG
_Digimax S600 _ Kenox S600 _ Digimax Cyber 630__40.jpg

Tombo

Free Member
Nov 1, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
Since 2000

I have just bought a 1994 Hymer B544, 43,000 genuine miles in mint 1 owner condition. £11,000. OK a little over your budget but keep looking they do come up. Look for up to £12.000 and bargain them down.
I like old Hymers but there are plenty of others around. Look on all the sites and be prepared to travel.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back