Backup and re-install - Help please (1 Viewer)

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Help please. :)

I have an HP Compaq 320 laptop, which I am having issues with, in the way of programs not responding and everything freezing up for ages at a time. For some time now the laptop has been getting slower and slower, and takes an age to complete the start up process (a few minutes, rather than the seconds it used to take).
So, I thought I'd do a complete backup to an external HD, and do a clean install using the built in recovery tool/disc. Although I can see the recovery disc in disc management, (7.5Gb out of 15Gb of space available), Windows does not recognise it due to !software being unavailable", and asks me to insert the installation disc and follow instructions from there. :(

I don't have any installation or repair discs, and never received any from the seller. :cry:

How can I do a clean install, using the recovery tools/disc already available please?

Thanks in advance,

Jock.

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
What operating system is it? XP, Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8?

Before opting for OS Armageddon, consider running a complete virus scan, an anti-malware scan (malwarebytes is free) and using a registry cleaner like Broken Link Removed.

You can also use AML to clear out your temporary files folder and remove unnecessary items from your Startup routine.

BwB

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 3, 2011
Suffolk UK
Funster No
MH
Resting b'twix vans
Exp
Since 1990
Lots of reasons why your computer might be running slow(er) but a format/reinstall will at least get you back to factory clean and may be quicker in the long run (thank tracking down the problem) - providing you have all the install disks for all the other programmes you use.

To answer your question, I expect the install software you speak of need to be written to a CD or DVD so the computer can boot from that. These files are often called ISO and need a utility to write it to the CD/DVD. Either a stand alone utility or most general CD burners will do the job. Just fire up your CD DVD burning software and choose the ISO file from the recovery partition.

I guess you may have uninstalled the ISOsoftware it's looking for to do it automatically. But any ISO burner will do.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
JockandRita

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
What operating system is it? XP, Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8?

Before opting for OS Armageddon, consider running a complete virus scan, an anti-malware scan (malwarebytes is free) and using a registry cleaner like Broken Link Removed.

You can also use AML to clear out your temporary files folder and remove unnecessary items from your Startup routine.
Sorry, I should have posted that info earlier. It's Windows 7 Home Premium, running MS Essentials security with daily updates and regular scans, and Crap Cleaner and Malwarebytes now and then.

To answer your question, I expect the install software you speak of need to be written to a CD or DVD so the computer can boot from that. These files are often called ISO and need a utility to write it to the CD/DVD. Either a stand alone utility or most general CD burners will do the job. Just fire up your CD DVD burning software and choose the ISO file from the recovery partition.

I guess you may have uninstalled the ISOsoftware it's looking for to do it automatically. But any ISO burner will do.
Thanks for that BwB. I'm going to have to ponder over that lot, and try to get to grips with it. :eek:

Cheers,

Jock.

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Sorry, I should have posted that info earlier. It's Windows 7 Home Premium, running MS Essentials security with daily updates and regular scans, and Crap Cleaner and Malwarebytes now and then.

I'd still say try a registry cleaner before reinstalling the OS. You'd have a lot of driver, software, and e-mail re-installing to do afterwards if you go back to the factory settings. Registry cleaner's worked for me on a number of occasions and I was on bloody bleeding sodding Windows Vista until about a month ago.

OP
OP
JockandRita

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Try searching for "recovery"
That was the first thing I did Ken. Under "disc management" it is clearly identifiable, and the handbook tells me it should all come about after a restart, press Esc, then F11, but no joy. :(
I'd still say try a registry cleaner before reinstalling the OS. You'd have a lot of driver, software, and e-mail re-installing to do afterwards if you go back to the factory settings. Registry cleaner's worked for me on a number of occasions and I was on bloody bleeding sodding Windows Vista until about a month ago.
Yep, will do before anything else.
Thanks. (y)

Cheers,

Jock.

dna

Jan 17, 2010
Llandudno
Funster No
MH
AT Tribute 680 pvc
Exp
since 2009
I think the press "escape" and "F11" refers to when you turn the machine on and before it boots into Windows. There should be a short time where the display is on and displaying some basic information in character form including a message "press escape to enter setup". If you keep pressing escape at that point it should come up with a different HP branded menu which will include an option to recover the hard drive back to factory settings.
As others have said this is a pretty drastic step as it will completely wipe the disk obliterating everything you have installed since the machine was new.
Before doing anything I would recommend you install and run a free program called Belarc Advisor and print out the report it produces. This report include the registration keys for all programs (including Windows) which are vital when reinstalling your software.

OP
OP
JockandRita

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
I think the press "escape" and "F11" refers to when you turn the machine on and before it boots into Windows. There should be a short time where the display is on and displaying some basic information in character form including a message "press escape to enter setup".
Yes, those are the instructions in the Compaq guide for recovering.
If you keep pressing escape at that point it should come up with a different HP branded menu which will include an option to recover the hard drive back to factory settings.
That process wasn't listed in the guide though. Thanks. (y)

I did download and run Magicsurfbus's recommended registry cleaner, but haven't seen any results after analysing and defragging, so I rebooted, but not noticed any difference yet.

I'll see how things run over the next couple of days, before I delve any further.

Thanks to all so far, for their input and help. (y)

Cheers,

Jock.

OP
OP
JockandRita

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Before doing anything I would recommend you install and run a free program called Belarc Advisor and print out the report it produces. This report include the registration keys for all programs (including Windows) which are vital when reinstalling your software.
I forgot to say, that does sound a bit daunting for my level of computer skills, ie, if I then had to enter lots of registry keys for the re install. :eek: Not sure I'm up to that without making mistakes. :(

Cheers,

Jock.

Jan 24, 2010
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 2007
Hi jock

How much memory does your one have and how much spare capacity on the hardrive?

OP
OP
JockandRita

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Hi jock

How much memory does your one have and how much spare capacity on the hardrive?
2Gb memory Darryl, and 156Gb free space, of 280Gb. :)

Do you want remote access? ;)

Cheers,

Jock.

Jan 24, 2010
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 2007
2Gb memory Darryl, and 156Gb free space, of 280Gb. :)

Do you want remote access? ;)

Cheers,

Jock.
Gawd no:eek:
Loads of stuff it could be...youve done a bunch of things already which are usual suspects, defrag, scans etc and have enough drive space and memory for win7

Worth checking the memory though with this http://www.memtest86.com...just incase

Btw...crap cleaner...have you run the registry cleaner in there?

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I think dna has identified the way to sort this. If pressing escape during startup doesn't get anywhere, turn off and try pressing f11 about once every second while it is booting up. This could take you to a screen where you have to confirm what keyboard you have, UK, US etc. Select the right one and the thing will restart, let it and then there will be a screen which will offer you a system recovery. This works for some compaq laptops and may for you. It is just a question of working out the initial key presses while it is booting up.

Alternatively, it may be possible to access the system recovery tool from within windows itself, as described here: Broken Link Removed

Check the option called recovery from the desktop, third one down.

OP
OP
JockandRita

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Just a quick question please, before I log off.

Should I have formatted the new external HD, before backing up my files on to it? :unsure:

Cheers,

Jock.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Just a quick question please, before I log off.

Should I have formatted the new external HD, before backing up my files on to it? :unsure:

Cheers,

Jock.
No, assuming the files have been copied across and there were no error messages.

But did you copy across just important files or do a full backup? If the latter when you restore later you risk returning the laptop back to the state it is in now. My advise would be to copy across your documents, images, music etc. But if you have other software, such as Word, these will need to be manually reinstalled and this will need the original disks and license numbers.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Factory reset....nightmare !

Bit like being reborn then trying to do everything you did in this life in the same order.

It will never be as familiar you had it...missing programs, missing icons.

Some programs/documents saved to seperate hard drive may not work if you cant remember what program created them.

Try every other avenue possible first.

And i should listen to my own advise....just reset my phone to factory, never,never again.

OP
OP
JockandRita

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Btw...crap cleaner...have you run the registry cleaner in there?
Just scanned and 36 items flagged up, :eek: mostly "invalid Firewall rule" and some others I can't remember.
All checked item fixed now. (y)

I'll see how it all runs tomorrow.

But did you copy across just important files or do a full backup?
No, no, a full back up.

Can I reiterate, that I am trying everything else, realising now, that a full clean install is a last resort.

Will do. (y)

Thanks again everyone. :)

Jock.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
OK, just be aware if you have done a full backup it will probably have taken a system image and if you restore from that you will probably be back where you started.

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
I think the press "escape" and "F11" refers to when you turn the machine on and before it boots into Windows. There should be a short time where the display is on and displaying some basic information in character form including a message "press escape to enter setup". If you keep pressing escape at that point it should come up with a different HP branded menu which will include an option to recover the hard drive back to factory settings.
As others have said this is a pretty drastic step as it will completely wipe the disk obliterating everything you have installed since the machine was new.

This is likely the right answer

When you are up and running, even though you did a full backup you can still be selective about what you restore.

System recovery works in more than one direction. If a full restore is no good you can restore to another point in time when all was well (if it was set up right in the first place) and before restoring you can manually create a restore point so that you can just put it back how it was if it doesn't work.

meanders

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Jun 28, 2008
Ipswich, Suffolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2004
Hi Jock.

I'm also in the don't factory reset unless you have to camp. It will take you ages to get back where you are.

It looks as though you may have tried many of the regular culprits, but some of the tools may well now be working against each other and causing difficulties. I suggest you look to uninstalling any of the tools you have tried that you don't actually rely on.

What anti-virus are you using. Some of those have become real bloatware recently.

Then start looking at things like star-up apps and services. A good guide can be found at http://www.howtogeek.com/173347/beg...-about-disabling-startup-programs-on-windows/.

The other tool I can't remember seeing mentioned here is Broken Link Removed. The free one should be quite adequate.

If that doesn't help then using you new disk, copy away anything that is taking up loads of space. That's usually video's and pictures. I'd also copy them off to CD/DVD storage or USB sticks if you can so you know you then have two safe copies. You can then delete them from the machine to make more space, but don't forget to empty your recycle bin afterwards.

Good luck.

Jan 24, 2010
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 2007
Lots of invalid firewall settings could be a clue..may not be but given youve got them try doing the following

Go to Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Windows firewall with advanced security.
On the right hand action pane, choose Restore default policy then reboot

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
Help please. :)

I have an HP Compaq 320 laptop, which I am having issues with, in the way of programs not responding and everything freezing up for ages at a time. For some time now the laptop has been getting slower and slower, and takes an age to complete the start up process (a few minutes, rather than the seconds it used to take).
So, I thought I'd do a complete backup to an external HD, and do a clean install using the built in recovery tool/disc. Although I can see the recovery disc in disc management, (7.5Gb out of 15Gb of space available), Windows does not recognise it due to !software being unavailable", and asks me to insert the installation disc and follow instructions from there. :(

I don't have any installation or repair discs, and never received any from the seller. :cry:

How can I do a clean install, using the recovery tools/disc already available please?

Thanks in advance,

Jock.

If you were closer ibqould be happy to give you a hand .

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
I'm in the other camp - factory reinstall (if properly actioned) gets you back to the cleanest state the machine has been in.

Having said that, prior to the factory reinstall make sure you have a list of all the software installed and latest valid versions downloaded from internet or install discs. Belarc (as previously mentioned) and Speccy are good tools to give software keys and machine specs.

Just finished factory reset on the nephews HP laptop after he had run a number of virus scans, registry cleaner runs, etc and it now runs significantly better. If you are well prepared a factory reset can take less time than trying to identify and rectify all current software glitches, etc.

Once you have done a factory reset you should clean out all the crapware \ trial version software supplied with the original build, eg Norton \ Macafee anti-virus, Adobe Reader, etc. When you've done this install a decent free firewall, eg ZoneAlarm and anti-virus, eg Avast. Reinstall the software you require and include Macrium Reflect Free. This software can be used to create a recovery image that can then be used in future to take you back your "vanilla" installation.

I know it may sound complex but it isn't that difficult, done four laptops \ desktops over the past 5 \ 6 months. Let me know if you decide to do a factory reset and we can go into a bit more detail of the process if you want.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back