May 23, 2008
Near Durham City
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since 1984
Hi All,
We are planning to tour America/Canada early in 2010 and am about to start organising.
Our plan is to hire a motorhome and spend three months touring and need your help.
Has anyone done a tour of either America (which region) or Canada??
If so could you please give us any pointers as to useful websites or RV Clubs that will help along with van hire etc. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Wiljoy

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Good luck with your planning however 3 months hire will almost pay for a motorhome, go out buy one and sell or abandon before coming home, could always get it shipped home. That way you don't have to return to your starting point either, can always leave it stored someplace and return next year again or sell to another funster wishing to tour.

Scotties

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
Since 2006
That sounds like a great idea, has anyone got one out there we can borrow?:Smile:

Riegards Richard

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
Hi
We have toured the states extensivley and there isnt any state in the union that I woudnt reccomend.

We hired from Cruise America and found them to be brilliant. They always provided us with a first class service. Any problems and you just pick up the phone and call them. They have franchises virtually everywhere.
They now have a scheme whereby you can buy a mh - rv and they will gaurantee to buy it back from you when you have finished with it.

The campsites are outstanding, there is one particular campsite company that have sites right throughout the states and the site fees reduce prorata wherever you stay, so if you stay on their sites as you tour the fees keep reducing. There must obviousley be a minimum.

Cant remeber the name but my missus will know. As far as reccomending where to go, how long have you got? it would take too long.

There is plenty of Wildcamping (Boondocking in the states

You will love it. Cheers Jim:thumb:

MicknPat

Free Member
Dec 16, 2007
Touring UK
Funster No
MH
39ft American A class RV
Exp
Since Oct 2007
Hi Wiljoy,

I hope the information on this RV proves useful?

We saw these RV's all over Canada during our journey from British Columbia to Ontario, we are currently in Florida.

We entered Canada from the USA in April and travelled west to east via the Trans-Canada Highway 1 and returned back into the US in Oct, during that time the weather was great.

You may pickup some useful tips on our blog Thiswilldous - GetJealous.com Travel Blogs

Wouldyourent.jpg
[/IMG]

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Hi Wiljoy
Jan and I are currently doing the same thing but we decided 3 months was no way near enough to see the real America. We went over bought a RV which we intended to keep for a minimum of 2 years and probably more, this works out much cheaper than renting, especially at the moment some great bargains for cash buyers.

We go over twice a year for max 3 months each trip under the Waiver Programme so no visas required. So far we have done 12000 miles in RV and tow car and only managed 7 states Florida, Georgia, Tennessee, Mississippi, Alabama, Louisiana and Texas. Back in the spring and heading West to California then up the coast to San Francisco.

We keep the RV and car in storage which works out about £600 a year under cover with 24hr security. We set up a LLC in Montana and bought both vehicles in the LLC name with me as sole user this saved us approx $8000 on purchase tax and the same with our insurance.
When we've had enough, and it'll be the frequent flying that stops us, we will sell the RV and car for whatever we can get and have saved a fortune plus its our home in the states.

If you decide to do it this way I have all the contact names and addresses and loads of contacts.

America is the ultimate destination for touring I think and Rvs are just so suited out there. The campsites are so good and so varied, city center one day beach side the next and high mountains the day after that it's just endless. Rvs are welcome most places you go in fact encouraged and Americans are just the friendliest people on earth especially to Brits.

Go for it you won't regret it :thumb:

T

Terry Nathan

Deleted User
Hi All,
We are planning to tour America/Canada early in 2010 and am about to start organising.
Our plan is to hire a motorhome and spend three months touring and need your help.
Has anyone done a tour of either America (which region) or Canada??
If so could you please give us any pointers as to useful websites or RV Clubs that will help along with van hire etc. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Wiljoy

Hi Wiljoy

I absolutely agree with the other posts - go for it. We left our motorhome with friends near Calgary in Canada last September and fly back in mid-April to head for the Maritimes and Newfoundland (for the third time). To buy really is the way to do it, and I agree with the Montana LLC recommendation - we did the same.

I think the name of the campground organisation a previous poster referred to in Kampgrounds of America (KOA); sites can be booked on line, discounts are available for multiu-use, and generally they are well run.

Terry

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
KOA is similar to our CCC. Sites are always a good standard but in popular areas can work out very very expensive. We tend to use them if we stay in large cities as they are usually well located.

nozzel

Free Member
Apr 6, 2008
Birmingham West Midlands
Funster No
MH
C Class & RV US
Exp
43 years
We have been visiting the US for the past twenty years, car & motel 5 years...2 motorhomes over 13 years (toured US/Canada and Mexico)....last 2 years static in Arizona with a car. (from where I'm having to endure sun and 70' every day) You can't beat it even with the pound @ $1.38.

My advice, buy from a private owner a used motorhome and small tow car (the price is at rock bottom at the moment. One car dealer is selling new cars 'Buy one at MRP and get one free') its so hard to sell a m/h that you can screw the asking price down by at least a third.......Get into the park system and camp $6 - $10 a night for upto 7 days at a time in any of the hundreds of the campsites all over the US/Canada or even camp overnight free at a Walmart store. Then store in AZ where its dry until your next trip. It worked very well for us .

Look up coast to coast on the internet to see how the park system works

If you do decide to buy let me know and I'll put you onto the right place to get memberships etc. I'm here until 15th April.

Nozzel

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back