LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
We're thinking of going to Legoland, Denmark over the summer. Has anyone been? How does it compare to the UK Legoland? How long would a normal visit last? What is the countryside in the surrounding area like? Is it worth going on to Copenhagen? If so, is there much to see in Malmo in Sweden?

We have 3 weeks over the summer and are planning our trip. Boy 1 would like to learn German so we thought that we would spend some of holiday in Germany with short excursions into Denmark, Poland & possibly the Czech republic, all depending on time and the weather; if the weather is good, we will staying the North including Legoland but want to see how worthwhile it is.

Cheers

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988
Legoland, no knowledge Matty, Copenhagen, Tivoli Gardens, brilliant, the ice cream shop near the entrance produces the best I have ever had anywhere. Your children, whatever age they may be are well catered for. Plenty of other touristy things to do and Tourist Info centres are superb with lots of info in English. Denmark is reputedly the happiest nation on Earth and it shows. Malmo is not a bad city, and the Denmark/Sweden bridge/tunnel is not cheap but worth doing once each way imo.
Czech Republic, Prague a bit too touristy (still lots of noisy Brit hen and stag parties on weekends) now but still much to see and do but how long your children would remain happy only you know. Germany...anywhere is good but Bavaria is brilliant in many different ways. Loved living in Germany.

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
Take plenty cash.

Legoland is awesome but I was there over 25 years ago so might be out of date.

I do remember being too old to go on some of the activities and having to stand and watch my brother have all the fun..

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
MattR

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
Boy 1 is 12, boy 2 is 5. I believe that it will cost around £100 for the admission. I'm wondering how ling boy 1 would continue to enjoy lego and, therefore, how soon we need to get there. If the weather is good, I think that I would like to go further into Sweden but if it is poor, we may save it for next year. How do costs in Denmark compare to the UK?

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988
Boy 1 is 12, boy 2 is 5. I believe that it will cost around £100 for the admission. I'm wondering how ling boy 1 would continue to enjoy lego and, therefore, how soon we need to get there. If the weather is good, I think that I would like to go further into Sweden but if it is poor, we may save it for next year. How do costs in Denmark compare to the UK?

It's currently about 9.50 Dkr to the £ which is an extra kronk from last year, so far so good, normal Scandinavian things, alcohol expensive, I don't suppose your little'uns would fancy a trip round the Carlsberg Brewery, shame the tasting's well worth it. Meals out not cheap but it depends on what and where, fish dishes always better priced than meat.
Still to stop we wibbling on Matty try this link.

http://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/city_result.jsp?country=Denmark&city=Copenhagen

scousebird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 18, 2012
South East Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey
Exp
March 2012
Went to Legoland 15 years ago & stayed on a campsite opposite. Denmark was very expensive but we didn't stay there long (4 nights if I remember) cos the weather was pants. We came back into Germany & the weather improved, went to Warner Brothers Movie World near Essen (I think) , then back into Holland to De Efteling not far from Eindhoven. Turned into an expensive holiday but one the kids still remember greatly - they called it our Theme Park holiday!

OP
OP
MattR

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
We will stock up on food and drink before entering Denmark and this would be the second theme park that we've been to - hoping that it will be worthwhile. I would prefer the countryside but swmbo is a lego fan so I'll go along in sufferance. I feel a bit guilty about just going to Denmark to see legoland but haven't found any main attractions away from the plastic toys and peeing boy.

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988
We will stock up on food and drink before entering Denmark and this would be the second theme park that we've been to - hoping that it will be worthwhile. I would prefer the countryside but swmbo is a lego fan so I'll go along in sufferance. I feel a bit guilty about just going to Denmark to see legoland but haven't found any main attractions away from the plastic toys and peeing boy.
Wonderful beaches empty on weekdays too.

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
Hi Matty,

Denmark is beautiful, clean and very flat. Lots of lovely little towns and villages, beautiful beaches, LOADS of cycle paths. I think the problem for you will be keeping your two boys entertained! We did not go to Legoland or Copenhagen and from memory I believe Malmo won't hold up much promise.

The bridge is AWESOME but expensive (£37 under 6 metres, double this over 6 metres).

If your boys are into fishing and /or boats then plenty to see and do especially in Sweden.

On the way to Denmark Flensburg in Germany on the border is very nice.

Oh and when buying diesel keep an eye out on the prices..... they go UP and DOWN throughout the day by as much as 10% :eek:

If it helps in anyway have a look at my Scandinavia Blog

OP
OP
MattR

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
Hi Matty,

Denmark is beautiful, clean and very flat. Lots of lovely little towns and villages, beautiful beaches, LOADS of cycle paths. I think the problem for you will be keeping your two boys entertained! We did not go to Legoland or Copenhagen and from memory I believe Malmo won't hold up much promise.

The bridge is AWESOME but expensive (£37 under 6 metres, double this over 6 metres).

If your boys are into fishing and /or boats then plenty to see and do especially in Sweden.

On the way to Denmark Flensburg in Germany on the border is very nice.

Oh and when buying diesel keep an eye out on the prices..... they go UP and DOWN throughout the day by as much as 10% :eek:

If it helps in anyway have a look at my Scandinavia Blog

I didn't know that so much of Denmark is so flat .... It looks as though we will have to spend longer on another trip to make the most of that area.

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
We have relations in Denmark, on Jylland and Saelland so know the country reasonably well although not with the motorhome. Driving is wonderfully relaxing and the beaches accessible and clean. Copenhagen well worth a visit, a compact city you can walk round or take a canal tour. Go to Nyhavn on the waterfront with its heritage harbour, old wooden barges and Hanseatic buildings and restaurants. Not cheap as said but worth seeing. If you're camped outside the city trains are the way in.

Nyhavn.jpg

OP
OP
MattR

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
We are here and.just about to have day 2 at Legoland - there is so much to do and one day wasn't long enough. Two adults and two kids for 2 days is approx £170 (without early booking discount) - not cheap but it is entertaining.

We came up via Ribe and will return to Germany via the east coast. We would like to go further east but on another occasion - it is too grey here so we are heading south ASAP.

On our way up, we visited Miniature Wonderland in Hamburg - it was excellent and could have kept me entertained for the whole afternoon had the boys been able to cope with more than 2.5 hrs there.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
...I'm wondering how long boy 1 would continue to enjoy lego...
I love Lego and I'm the wrong side of 60. Can I come instead, if he doesn't want to go?
But from my experience of Denmark with small kids there isn't a huge amount to do with them there other than visit beaches, for which you need the weather, and it is northern Europe....

OP
OP
MattR

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
Boy 1 loved yesterday - it appears that the age range for activities is much greater than expected. Fun for all ages :)

Reactions: DBK
Oct 25, 2014
N.E . Scotland
Funster No
MH
Chausson 717 GA
Exp
Since 2015
Mattyjwr ,we are heading to Legoland in a few weeks time , we would like to visit miniature land in Hamburg ,was there parking for a Motorhome or did you use public transport and stay overnight close by ,thanks in advance for any info

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Did Denmark and Sweden last year fabulous places we spent 13 weeks and travelled right to the top of Sweden and then back down Baltic coast across Orsund bridge to Rodby havn/Puttgarden ferry into Germany.
Loved every minute and are returning next year for another tour.
Enjoy sure you’ll like it.(y)(y)(y)

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
sounds like lego denmark is much better than windsor which is grubby overpriced and to small for the price
i can how ever reccomend https://www.europapark.de/en if you want a great park further south ,arrive late afternoon stay on the aire e35 for 24 hours free wild west show early evening and good resturant and bars round a lake second lake for swimming do the park next day

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Mattyjwr ,we are heading to Legoland in a few weeks time , we would like to visit miniature land in Hamburg ,was there parking for a Motorhome or did you use public transport and stay overnight close by ,thanks in advance for any info
There are some lovely places to visit but watch the speed limits, they are lower than you may expect and the fines can be eyewatering.

Ther e is a fantastic drive on beach at Romo if weather is ok.

OP
OP
MattR

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years

There are a few Stellplatzs in Hamburg - one right on the river, near the market and the other a short tram or train ride from the centre. The latter was full when we arrived but we joined the other vehicles parked on the road outside (it was the weekend and no parking restrictions).

May 23, 2013
Not on the Coast East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B504
Exp
Since 2013
WE had some friends that went to Legoland DK last year and had a really great time, we have been to legoland Germany twice which is highly recommended and they have a campsite on site that is excellent. We went to Windsor last year and it was not a patch on Germany which seems to be a similar size and layout to Denmark was overcrowded and very expensive and would not go back.

Oct 25, 2014
N.E . Scotland
Funster No
MH
Chausson 717 GA
Exp
Since 2015
Thanks for all your replies ,we have been to Legoland Germany the last 2 years and yes the set up is great with campsite and access to the park perfect for a motorhome ,looking forward to going to the DK one and hopefully a visit to minituare land in Hamburg

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back