Anyone got any experience or advice on buying a Hymer? Want to spend around £5000 (1 Viewer)

robsutton

Free Member
Jan 10, 2015
london
Funster No
MH
none yet
Exp
newbie!
Hello,

I have been looking at Hymers for sale recently and am considering buying one over the coming weeks. Can anyone tell me what to look out for or give any general advice on them?

I am looking at all options (although the one I have taken a particular liking to the 55 i think it is) such as Fiat and Mercedes bases and am looking at spending around £5000 for something born around 1990/1995.

Any information will be greatly received.

Robert.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
while I admire your enthusiasm that's a 20-25 year old vans you're considering, could well be buying into a world of grief...

once you find one that looks OK, if you dont want to pay for proper inspection, beg, borrow or steal a proper damp meter (not cheap wood meter with prongs but paddle meter). look on roof as well as underneath, for signs of bodged seals, damp smells, staining, wet etc...etc...

if the structure OK, just test all the appliances as replacing heating, fridges etc..expensive. check all work on gas as well as electric as well....

when you see one that measures up OK, post it on here for an opinion :)

where in london do you live, as you cant bring old vans inside M25 area, into london due to emissions legislation..have you considered this? friend of ours cant visit us in south london because of this.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
since 2007, 25 years tuggin before that.
I agree with Judgemental. There are still some Hymers ( & other makes) around at that age & older, the same rules apply to ALL makes. Check for damp before you look any further, then if you like the van check for damp again. If you're not sure what you are looking for get someone who is to do it for you. Damp is the biggest nightmare for any caravan/ motorhome owner.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
I see your in London.....
Before you even think of spending any amount of cash, check out theLEZ rules in case you are in the "zone"...
You may find you cant get to your own dwelling in it !!!!

Upvote 0
D

deleted-member02

Deleted User
Also look for power steering and a turbo charged engine - world of difference to those without.
At around the 5k mark, you will almost certainly be looking at LHD.
Reasonable examples are out there but I think you'll have to be patient as the better examples normally fetch more money, even at 25yr old.
Good luck with your search, and welcome to fun !

Upvote 0

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
while I admire your enthusiasm that's a 20-25 year old vans you're considering, could well be buying into a world of grief...
You can also enter that 'world of grief' by spending £25k on something a lot newer. The main advantages of the older Hymer's are:- no catalytic converters. No ECU. Basic engine electronics. (y) Scout through ebay, plenty of cheaper Hymer's on there.

Upvote 0
Apr 12, 2010
Bury St Edmunds, West Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg Cara
Exp
since 2007
My first van was a "classic Hymer". Good condition, very reliable, etc. It took some finding among the tat on offer and I had to pay around £ 10k.
Had it for a while but could not live without turbo charging so sold it on Autotrader easily.
You wont find one worth having for £ 5k so either pay more or look for something else.
Best of luck Phil

Upvote 0

Andy

Free Member
May 25, 2014
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
They ARE out there...................I paid around the figure you are talking about for my '89 reg 664. Mines on citroen running gear.
Yes you do need to be very careful, if your not sure, maybe's take a friend along who knows stuff;
'Classic' hymers are going up in price :) good for us who own them, not so good for those who want to but one............

There is a facebook group which you might like to look at; (Not promoting another site, Jim ((Sir)) :))

Anyways, good like in your search...........if/when you find a good one, it WILL have been worth all the searching. (y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
Mine is a Hymer camp 51 I bought last year in March in Germany for 6200 euros. I love the old fashion things and hate electronic so very happy with it. Of course I had to have the cambelt done and a few other things to make sure it would work fine. Still had a problem in Spain but sorted for 280 euros.

I think you should have a damp metre just to help ... but have a good deep breathe... if it's damp you should smell it!

Also, take a hammer , get yourself under the van and have a good look at its "underpants" ... understand chassis (give a few good bangs to hear the sound of metal... clear=good ;Dull=problem) and external wood. A hymer of that age is usually winterised so should have double floor, so external wood should tell you the state of the floor.

Also go on the roof to have a look at all the vents ... See if they are all well sealed or if any part of the roof was damaged.
I'm not good at mechanics so would not know what to look for.

Happy hunting

Frankie:)

Edit: You should subscribe quickly or you won't be able to ask more questions! Oh and welcome aboard!

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back