LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Two years ago we went round the UK.. But it all ended up a bit of a rush..

Wales was nice but after our abysmal treatment at Shell Island ( over charged by a considerable amount and told to park in the worst spot possible.. though it seems to be all down to the bloody oik who was on the desk at the time of our arrival and him pocketing the money.. It has somewhat marred the place for us ) and being moved a couple of times on other camp sites for the sites 'friends' to have a better pitch, I think perhaps it is not for us..

Have not spoken to Woman yet,, but I am starting to lean towards either Cornwall area or back up to Scotland, specifically want to 'do' Edinburgh for the museums etc.

As much as I love Cornwall ( we have our house named after a place there ) it does seem a little anti to almost everything and every one who is not actually Cornwelian ( so to speak )
I appreciate that living there is a completely different kettle of fish of course, as folk get to know you and you get to know them, but a fleeting visit seems not to be too welcoming nowadays.
Add to that the cost of pitches there and again, it is a bit of a turn off

On the other hand, we have always found folk north of the border exactly the opposite.. Although we only managed about a week in total around the borders area every one we met was friendly and helpful.. We were often given suggestions of places to park up for a night and it seemed no one wanted our money, only our visit !

So folks.. your thoughts ?

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Come and do West Wales John. The Gower and Pembrokshire are much like Cornwall but better, there is so much to see there you could easily spend a month touring. Don't know if you like Guinness and or the Irish but if your feeling flush you could combine a West Wales trip with an Irish one. Catch a ferry to the emerald isle and enjoy a proper pint of the black stuff. Some beautiful tours to be had in Ireland and a welcome second to none. Just a thought (y)

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Strange I thought it was just me who had that experience in darkest Cornwall but apparently not very unfriendly and visitors are a pain in the ass despite the money they bring.

Wales I love visiting full of history great sites and really nice people for the most part with a fantastic sense of humour (you'd have to too live there):whistle: Just the opposite experience at Shell Island we really like the place.

Scotland we've visited twice once West coast once Edinburgh, both times never had enough time. Really want to go back and spend more time there.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Come and do West Wales John. The Gower and Pembrokshire are much like Cornwall but better, there is so much to see there you could easily spend a month touring. Don't know if you like Guinness and or the Irish but if your feeling flush you could combine a West Wales trip with an Irish one. Catch a ferry to the emerald isle and enjoy a proper pint of the black stuff. Some beautiful tours to be had in Ireland and a welcome second to none. Just a thought (y)

That is exactly what we did 18 months ago Jim ( apart from Ireland that is ) Spent over a week there and for us that is quite a long time !

Would LOVE to do Eire but with our rig we can get two tickets to Vegas for less than they charge for the ferry !
Mo's sister is there and it would be great to visit her but sadly simply beyond our budget

Strange I thought it was just me who had that experience in darkest Cornwall but apparently not very unfriendly and visitors are a pain in the ass despite the money they bring.

Wales I love visiting full of history great sites and really nice people for the most part with a fantastic sense of humour (you'd have to too live there):whistle: Just the opposite experience at Shell Island we really like the place.

Scotland we've visited twice once West coast once Edinburgh, both times never had enough time. Really want to go back and spend more
time there.

As said above, I do appreciate we were bang unlucky getting totally ripped off the way we did, but I am afraid it will be some time before they get another penny of my loot F B.
I mailed them when I found out we had been mugged at the desk and the reply was not exactly helpful to say the least ! :mad:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I mailed them when I found out we had been mugged at the desk and the reply was not exactly helpful to say the least ! :mad:

Just out of spite, how about a small claims court action, see how they like that.

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
France (y) Better weather, better food, free aires, closer to you! what's not to like? :D:D:D

Cos neither of us are lovers of France ( we always make a beeline for Germany or Italy usually and then decide where to go from there ), AND we spend almost as much time on the continent as we do here in Norfolk !! LOL !!
While I have travelled to the four corners ( and a good many of the round bits ) of the UK Woman has barely seen any of it..

Just out of spite, how about a small claims court action, see how they like that.
Thought of it .. even went as far as getting in touch with my cousin who is a legal wallah .. He took one look at the scrap of paper we had been given as a receipt and laughed at me !
It was our first time there you see,, Had NO idea what to expect and thought nothing of the 'receipt' not being on a professional headed bit of paper.. So many sites just give a page from a receipt book it seemed normal(ish)
There was nothing in the way of official fees posted up that we could see ( it was pretty late so might have been there and we just could not see it in the twilight gloom ) and we only found out we had been massively over charged when we got home and I read on here what the cost SHOULD have been !

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
Well our panel van conversion, (not even started yet), will be finished by then .
Hopefully we shall have been to Whitby goth and on several other trips. Sooooo, for summer, we shall be getting to those out of the way places we love . Probably some Scottish island or two.
After our trip last summer to the outer Hebrides , which was absolutely fantastic , even in our present big Motorhome .
Ralphs fancying the Orkney Islands They do look lovely. Anyone else been ?
http://www.visitscotland.com/destinations-maps/orkney/

Last edited:
Dec 10, 2013
South Staffs
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740GJ
Exp
Since 2013
Visited Scotland last year and loved it, 3 weeks wasn't long enough. Going back this year for 3 to 4 weeks mid May.

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Where ever we go it will be taking in Pauls event and before that Malvern show.. Hmmmm. Perhaps Wales might be a good option then..
Might take in Portmeirion too..
See.. !! I bloody well knew you lot would throw me a googly !!
Mind you.. being a free agent nowadays Scotland and then Wales ?

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Oh, Scotland every time.
I know we live in Cornwall so get overload, but for choice it would be north of the border (did 3 months in the MH last year, & annually in a backpackers tent before that) or Norfolk (2 visits year before last, & regularly over the years).
If I was 'visiting' south-west England I might do a short while in Cornwall but I'd be more inclined to base the trip around Dorset.

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
Cornwall warm (ish)

Sweatyland cold and rainy and they all speak funny.

Sorted :)

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
LOL !! And they do not speak funny in Cornwall !
I have often wondered how well a broad dialect from Glasgee would get on with some one 10 miles from say 10 miles away from Truro :doh::rofl:

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
LOL !! And they do not speak funny in Cornwall !
I have often wondered how well a broad dialect from Glasgee would get on with some one 10 miles from say 10 miles away from Truro :doh::rofl:
Just say slowly

Pint of beer please Mister :)

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
And now look.. that has thrown me completely off..

1) I dislike beer so that would mean I am buying it for someone else
2) I NEVER buy booze for anyone else !! LOL !!!

Sep 10, 2013
Chelmsford Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Getting better
Go to edinburgh during the August Festival. You need to book a site as its all full up, but the vibe is great, the shows,the street theatre the tattoo and just the all the folks you'll meet in the restaurants and bars. Get the free fringe book prior to your visit so you can book some shows prior to your visit.
We tagged Edinburgh on to a trip to Skye, all highly recommended.

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
That is good info Zains.. Cheers :)

Sep 16, 2010
Bungay Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TrackerEKS
Exp
Since 2010
I was born in Cornwall and back in the sixty's when a lot of houses were still owned by "Cornish born people" , they were delighted to have "the visitors" as they were called. It was their livelihood.. But I have been back and visited recently and it is full of bloody foreigners !! By that I mean rich buggers who have either moved in, or got a second home there. I have even been charged to visit places that used to be free for all !! But now someone has "bought" it and uses it as a cash cow.. There are fences where there was freedom to walk and bloody "keep out" signs every where.. Yes there are beautifull bits still unspoilt, but for me, its buggered.. I lived there for 25 years and hate to admit that I prefer Scotland and its freedom and beauty... And that hurts me to say it. !!!
We however, are going to keep going "abroad" in our van as long as we are still "able" and I feel confident of protecting us in an increasingly "dodgy" world.. But then,, we will visit all the lovely parts of our superb country... :D

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
And now look.. that has thrown me completely off..

1) I dislike beer so that would mean I am buying it for someone else
2) I NEVER buy booze for anyone else !! LOL !!!
Sorry. Just put you one ignore

*Plonk*

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
I was born in Cornwall and back in the sixty's when a lot of houses were still owned by "Cornish born people" , they were delighted to have "the visitors" as they were called. It was their livelihood.. But I have been back and visited recently and it is full of bloody foreigners !! By that I mean rich buggers who have either moved in, or got a second home there. I have even been charged to visit places that used to be free for all !! But now someone has "bought" it and uses it as a cash cow.. There are fences where there was freedom to walk and bloody "keep out" signs every where.. Yes there are beautifull bits still unspoilt, but for me, its buggered.. I lived there for 25 years and hate to admit that I prefer Scotland and its freedom and beauty... And that hurts me to say it. !!!
We however, are going to keep going "abroad" in our van as long as we are still "able" and I feel confident of protecting us in an increasingly "dodgy" world.. But then,, we will visit all the lovely parts of our superb country... :D
Totally agree. We've lived here 30 years & it's just not the place we moved to.

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Hi about a tour of Snowdonia and Anglesey. Though the Fringe Festival in Edinborough is something I think everyone should try once it's really good. CCC usually have a rally running do coincide with it.

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
I find it enormously weird when people say they don't like France - it's so bloody huge, and every bit is different so if you don't like one bit, just move to another.

People rave about places I hate and vice versa - it would be exceedingly odd if we all liked the same things wouldn't it - like Stepford wives !

I spose you can decide you are not going to like somewhere before you get there and you probably wouldn't in that case, but if you truly are open minded (and I like to think I am but am probably not LOL) you can usually find something to like about anywhere.

And I think the best plan for everyone other than Jaws and Mo, is to follow them round wherever they go - but DO make sure they always arrive before you. Then if anyone 'in charge' has a mind to be obstreperous that day, they'll get over it with Jaws and leave the rest of us to have a wonderful time!

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Don't overlook North DEvon John and the Ilfracombe summer rally is the week before Malvern so could work out well for you.

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
Ralphs fancying the Orkney Islands They do look lovely. Anyone else been ?
We had five weeks touring Scotland last May and while staying at Dunnet Head we took a day trip to Orkney on a ferry/coach trip.
Orkney is a fascinating place with loads of interesting history and sights to visit and beautiful wild camping spots everywhere .... the day trip was not long enough to do the islands justice so will take the m/h if we go again.

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
We did Orkney last August............... in 5 days:eek: It's not a very big place :p

Mind you, I do admit that after 10 minutes in the same place we get bored and move on LOL :oops:

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
We had five weeks touring Scotland last May and while staying at Dunnet Head we took a day trip to Orkney on a ferry/coach trip.
Orkney is a fascinating place with loads of interesting history and sights to visit and beautiful wild camping spots everywhere .... the day trip was not long enough to do the islands justice so will take the m/h if we go again.
I know that there's ferry hopping like the Hebrides. But I don't think you can pre book.
There are a lot of islands to see, I doubt we could do it in less than 3 weeks. I think we'd need two visits . Do half one year and the other the next.
Chocksaway, did you just do one island in the 5 days ?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back