Spain with my dog (1 Viewer)

Aug 18, 2007
suffolk
Funster No
MH
Trigano tribute hi top
Exp
since August 2009
I am off to Spain in February for 2 months and I am taking my dog with me she will have her passport because she has been to France a number of times but I was wondering as I will be staying longer than usual and we haven't been to Spain befor do I have to be aware of any special regulations
Thanks Neil

Brisey

Deceased RIP
Sep 4, 2007
Sutton on Sea
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2003
I can only advise you that some campsites such as Villasol in Benidorm are not pet friendly. Pets are not allowed to be taken on public transport buses and trains.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Billy23

Free Member
Feb 10, 2012
On a planet...far, ....far away.
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On and off 1995
It is also "law" in Spain ( well where my house is) that dogs MUST have a rabies Injection every 12 months and be chipped. If the dog gets loose and is found by park rangers and not chipped they have been known to shoot them as they are a stray, and as many will know Spain has lots of strays.

Aug 21, 2008
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Symbol
Exp
Van Conversion
As stated there is'nt any problem bringing most dogs to Spain ,but as holiday makers we have allways abided by English regulations which is having the dog chipped and the rabies jab every 3 years wich is stamped in the pet passport.
Alan

Billy23

Free Member
Feb 10, 2012
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On and off 1995
As stated there is'nt any problem bringing most dogs to Spain ,but as holiday makers we have allways abided by English regulations which is having the dog chipped and the rabies jab every 3 years wich is stamped in the pet passport.
Alan

I can only tell you the regs in Spain, not UK.

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
Having a dog over here does cause problems if he is extra cute.

All the totty love my Elvis and I've had to turn down some tempting offers.

Ooh. Err. Missus.

Aug 21, 2008
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Symbol
Exp
Van Conversion
I can only tell you the regs in Spain, not UK.
I think local People in the Valencia region have to have there dogs vacinated annually, as in France, when I enquired about having the dogs vaccinated down here I was told it was better to have it done in uk where the 3 year rule applied and which I have allways stuck by.
Alan

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
As long as your dog's rabies jab is in date, you're fine.
Watch out for the processionary caterpillars, they are vile, and check your dog daily for ticks. Make sure you take a tick twister.

Fit an ID disc with your mobile number ( remember the 0044) and also consider writing it inside the dogs collar in Sharpie---I also added registration plate on the disc in case dog got loose on a campsite.

P.S my dogs ( and cats) lived in France for 6 years--always had rabies every 3 yrs ---no probs ever.

Last edited:

PJGWiltshire

Free Member
Mar 11, 2013
Arundel
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2009
Re the Chip. If your dog is registered in the UK, a search by local country will not find your chip details. Consider finding out the national database through local vet and register dog

Billy23

Free Member
Feb 10, 2012
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On and off 1995
I think local People in the Valencia region have to have there dogs vacinated annually, as in France, when I enquired about having the dogs vaccinated down here I was told it was better to have it done in uk where the 3 year rule applied and which I have allways stuck by.
Alan

That may well be the case and I don't doubt it, all I ever said was about the regs in Spain. If the UK rabies covers the dog, great (I never questioned it) if the UK dog it chipped, fine! All I ever posted about the chip was, if the dog is not chipped, then in this area ( Huelva county) the park rangers shoot them if they appear to be strays.
I am sure as a dog lover you will make sure that you are in the correct position. The OP asked for information, I gave some. (y)

Jan 13, 2014
Leeds - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
40+
Hello Neil,
Your dog has a UK pet passport,no problem with rabies injection of 3 years.
My dog has a Spanish pet passport ,therefore, rabies injection here is required every year.
You won't have any problems but if you go anywhere and see pine/conifer type trees do watch out for the "prossesionry caterpillars " as a previous poster mentioned, they can give out a spray of venim that kills.

The pet passport is crazy, we follow the Spanish system because we are based here and yet coming in from the UK our "Pepe" has never been checked, why, because there is no "Checkpoint " ;)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 6

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Depending on size of dog and storage space of MH you might like to consider taking two months supply of dog food with you. If the dog will eat anything this won't be necessary, but if the mutt is used to a specific type of food it could help.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back