Relative Newbie going to Europe soon (1 Viewer)

RogueStorm

Free Member
Jan 8, 2015
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Peugeot Boxer Compass 740
Exp
Three years, Western West Europe 2015, Eastern West Europe (and some Western East Europe) 2016.
Hi, my wife and I have planned a campervan trip for as long I can remember but one thing or another got in the way. Sadly, my wife, aged 49, had a stroke three years ago and is now in a wheelchair and again we had to put it on hold. Last year, however, we bought an aging (2000) Peugeot Boxer Coach Built camper van that ticked a number of boxes and met our needs. (40k (miles not price!)). From East Sussex, we took it to the Lake District, Scotland, Lincoln and Norfolk as a trial run last September and it seemed to go OK with no major problems concerning my wife's disability . This year we, myself, my wife and our boxer dog, plan to be a bit more adventurous. In early March we are taking the ferry from Newhaven to Dieppe, travelling down the left side of France, into Spain, Portugal, back to Spain, along the south coast of France, left side of Italy to Taranto and up the right side. Although we have planned to go from there through Switzerland, Germany and the lowlands I'm having second thoughts and the sun of the Mediterranean in May is drawing me back the way we came. My wife doesn't like to sit still for long but when she does, she likes to be warm. I know there is some fantastic scenery in the middle of Europe but feel that we could always do that another year. We're planning to travel using Aires and Acsi sites on a two days (nights) on the road and three nights at a site to use the washing machines. Any comments and/or advice extremely welcome.

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Hi and welcome to the forum good luck to you on your travels I'm sure you will both enjoy the experience. France is a superb country for a motorhomer. The aires are excellent often with free electric. If you have some solar power you may not need a site at all as handwashed clothes dry overnight.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
plan to be a bit more adventurous. In early March we are taking the ferry from Newhaven to Dieppe, travelling down the left side of France, into Spain, Portugal, back to Spain, along the south coast of France, left side of Italy to Taranto and up the right side. Although we have planned to go from there through Switzerland, Germany and the lowlands

Looks like the stock newbie route, many times longer than makes for a good holiday/adventure, though you don't say how long you are going for. Be very flexible and if you like a place tear up the 3 day plan.

France/Spain/Portugal is more than enough for trip one. You don't want to end up with "never again".

March is still cold, I'd suggest quick down to Spain where it will be nice then amble back following the warmth.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Hi and welcome, we have plenty of wheelchair bound Funsters who have found that motorhome touring is ideal. We even have a some members in wheelchairs who manage to travel alone, (although we don't want to start giving your wife ideas:)) I would say that if the weather is warm enough, don't be too quick to leave France. The whole country is superb for touring and a lifetime isn't long enough to enjoy it all. But if the weather is bad and your chasing the sun, use the autoroutes and get down to Spain quickly, then you can take your time coming back as the weather warms. Have a great trip, and do log in regularly and keep us posted (y)

OP
OP
RogueStorm

RogueStorm

Free Member
Jan 8, 2015
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Exp
Three years, Western West Europe 2015, Eastern West Europe (and some Western East Europe) 2016.
Sorry, meant to put duration. Three months should do it, probably just less getting back late May. This of course depends on whether my wife can put up with me in the confines of 'the box' for such a long time.

Thanks for the comments.

Dec 27, 2014
Funster No
Well done to you both.
Most of all, chill, take your time and enjoy.
France is beautiful, and as someone here said..... Don't plan to be anywhere at a specified time, if you like a place then tear up any plans, chill out and enjoy the area and spend time there.

Nov 6, 2011
Worthing
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sky Ti
Exp
2001 to date
Good luck to you, my only advice for novices such as yourselves is don't beat yourself up with an itinerary. Start your route, but don't expect to fulfill it. Take a lap-top or tablet and use wi-fi to find the sunshine. Try; www.meteofrance.com, when the weather doesn't suite. Keith :cool:

OP
OP
RogueStorm

RogueStorm

Free Member
Jan 8, 2015
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Exp
Damn! No itinerary? I'm ex forces so a stickler for schedules and keeping to them. I've mapped out every 'T' junction between Dieppe and Taranto (and back). I even know the names of all of the shepherds in the Pyrenees I'm likely to run into, figuratively speaking. I guess I'm going to have to back off a little.

On a lighter note, we don't have a set route other than we've agreed to meet up with some people in the South of France, Bordeaux region, South of Spain, Mercia and again in France, Carcassonne.

We're also hoping to meet the guy that lives about 100 yards down the road, he's going travelling next week, at a place called 'The Chicken Run' on The Algarve. Anyone heard of it? Is it any good?

Parcverger

Funster - Campsite Owner
Aug 13, 2007
Parc Verger - Limousin
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
8 years
You've seen it several times above - don't rush through France unless the weather is adverse! It is a beautiful country, and so big - take small bites at the travel, and enjoy the stopovers. If you want to meet Funsters you'll normally find some here at Parc Verger, not far from Limoges, so you would be in easy reach of Bordeaux as well as all points south. Chateau Munchie could well be occupied by the time you get here, and that would be a real treat for you both!

Wherever you go enjoy the journey, and take it easy.
Bob
www.parcverger.com

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
Hi and :welc:

Your plans sound great. Relax and enjoy, go where you feel like going. Enjoy your adventure.

Tincataylor

Free Member
Jul 9, 2012
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Never leave a campsite with your clothes line tied to a lamp post.
Hi and a warm welcome!!! We left the homeland on 14 Dec and took the boat straight to Bilbao as we also chased the sun. We are now down as far as the mountains behind Benidorm having stayed 2/3 nights in various ACSI sites and "areas" as they are called here. Weather has been superb and we are planning to carry on down south, up through Portugal and along Northern Spain to return early March. Again as said before try not to have too many fixed plans, when you find somewhere you like you can stay a bit longer to enjoy the sun and company.
Enjoy preparing and the trip - keep in touch.
Tincas on Tour :whistle:

OP
OP
RogueStorm

RogueStorm

Free Member
Jan 8, 2015
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Exp
Ah! The user name. My dogs' names were Rogue and Storm, from the X-Men, Rogue being the mum, sadly passed away now. We still have Storm who will be travelling with us.

My name is Steve, fairly simple, (the name not me though that's debatable). My wife's name is Nemone (Nem Oh Knee), Nem for short.

Looking forward to getting away.

OP
OP
RogueStorm

RogueStorm

Free Member
Jan 8, 2015
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Exp
Hope you will have a brilliant time in France. You could join the "Twin lakes"rally in May in France .

Sorry my post went away within a second .... Just editing now LOL

Amicalement

Frankie:)
Have seen the 'Twin Lakes' looks good for our return trip but still not sure of plan yet, would be the last week if at all but worth a shout. Very close to Nailhac where my cousin lives. Already planned a visit there for early March and early April (Easter).

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
welcome.jpg

Have a great time.

Just one other thing, pay your subscription and get o see all the site AND be able to get the Funsters discounts. You'll save your tenner many times over.

Tombo

Free Member
Nov 1, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
Since 2000
As others have said just play it by ear and try and spend as much time as poss in the sun. You can then spend as plenty of time outside and not cooped up in the van.
If you like somewhere stay, if you don't move. No firm plans or itineries are the order of the day.
Good luck and enjoy.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back