Free Member
Dec 31, 2010
Dunfermline - Scotland
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2007
I have nearly completed my account of our trip this year to Italy through Germany and France complete with text and photos and would like to use the blog facility I know is available on MHF but I can't see how to do it, can someone point me in the direction please.

Many thanks

Norman

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
I have no idea as well.

But there is a "contact us" on the bottom of the page and I am sure a PM will give you the answer you require

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
We have an excellent blog section here. Just click on Blogs in the blue menu bar up top. You can add a blog as easy as making a post. You can have different categories, upload pictures and add to a blog anytime. You can keep the blog pubic or private, or just choose certain members to view and comment. It really is simple. If you can post, you can keep your own blog here. I will write a guide to using it as soon as I can.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Thanks Jim but can you edit it make amendments etc or does that time out too?

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
No, they never time out for the blogger. You can edit them as much as you like.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Thank you that's just the ticket. I want to use a page as a shortcut to all my articles and it will take quite some time and I'll probably have to constantly re order it.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Thanks Jim but can you edit it make amendments etc or does that time out too?
Yes, I found with my blog I could amend typos weeks after loading it, so unlike normal posts it doesn't time out.

I wrote my blog in Word and embedded links to all the images which were stored in google+. This allowed me to write it off-line over several days then "publish" it here in one hit.

I can give more details on the way I treated the images if anyone wants - but not tonight as I am on chef's duties!

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
No, they never time out for the blogger. You can edit them as much as you like.
It's not idiot proof Jim
I created two categories but whatever I post appears in both exactly the same :doh:
It's going to look a right mess if you cant get rid of the delete notifications?

Last edited:

ponyboy

Free Member
Dec 19, 2012
Tasmania
Funster No
MH
Hobbyvan AKA Jinks
Exp
April 2012
Yes, I found with my blog I could amend typos weeks after loading it, so unlike normal posts it doesn't time out. I wrote my blog in Word and embedded links to all the images which were stored in google+. This allowed me to write it off-line over several days then "publish" it here in one hit. I can give more details on the way I treated the images if anyone wants - but not tonight as I am on chef's duties!
Yes, I found with my blog I could amend typos weeks after loading it, so unlike normal posts it doesn't time out. I wrote my blog in Word and embedded links to all the images which were stored in google+. This allowed me to write it off-line over several days then "publish" it here in one hit. I can give more details on the way I treated the images if anyone wants - but not tonight as I am on chef's duties!

ponyboy

Free Member
Dec 19, 2012
Tasmania
Funster No
MH
Hobbyvan AKA Jinks
Exp
April 2012
oops - sorry about that last post. DBK - I've just found out about the Blog section in MHF. I do mine in Wordpress, got any notion if that's transferrable to MHF? Do you suppose it's okay just to put in the link to Wordpress?
Cheers pony boy

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
oops - sorry about that last post. DBK - I've just found out about the Blog section in MHF. I do mine in Wordpress, got any notion if that's transferrable to MHF? Do you suppose it's okay just to put in the link to Wordpress?
Cheers pony boy
I think if you just put a link in then all that will appear would be the link, which folk could click on of course. You could cut and paste each text section from your blog but I don't think that would bring the images across, if they have been uploaded to your WordPress site.

As mentioned above I wrote my blog in Word and put links in for all the images which were stored in my Google+ account (it used to be Picassa until Google took it over). The bit below is an extract and consists of a bit of text, then the image link and then, the bit in bold the caption for the image. The code [I M G] and [/I M G] should of course not have any spaces but if I remove the spaces the image will appear and you won't see how the link is formed. I find it easiest to access my Google+ images using Chrome as you can simply right click on an image and obtain its URL directly, so you can then copy and paste it in. It sounds long-winded but the longest part was selecting, editing and uploading the images to Google+. Other sites can be used to store images. I used Flickr at first but then they fiddled with it and it became harder to find the URLs. Google+ can be a bit spooky - they sent me a link to a slide show just before Christmas they had made automatically which was described as "My Year" and consisted of a dozen or so images from those I had uploaded last year. You may have read FaceBook did something similar and upset a few people, for example sending an image of a child who had died during the year.

Here is an example from my blog, exactly as it was written in Word:

"...I spotted it earlier in the year when my brother and I over 14 days cycled the length of the Pyrenees and its stunning location prompted me to note it and resolve to return at some point to stay.
[I M G]https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-...NEZ0LT58I/w1020-h765-no/P9170091-enhanced.jpg[/I M G]
Rio Anso valley at Zuriza"

Having written the Blog in Word I just selected the whole of the text and pasted it into a blank blog page I created here on MHF. The transfer wasn't entirely smooth and some of the formatting went awry for reasons unknown but it wasn't hard to then edit the new MHF blog and correct it.

What I wrote was more of a journal or account of our trip rather than a proper blog, although the raw material from it came from the posts I made here while I was actually on the trip and took into account the comments and suggestions made by others. You could use the blog facility as your trip progresses but it would probably be broken up by comments. On a typical blog website, comments are held elsewhere so what you write is continuous. This wouldn't happen if you wrote a blog here on MHF and it attracted comments and discussion, which was why I wrote my blog as a series of posts on a thread then transferred it all across after editing.

Last edited:

ponyboy

Free Member
Dec 19, 2012
Tasmania
Funster No
MH
Hobbyvan AKA Jinks
Exp
April 2012
I think if you just put a link in then all that will appear would be the link, which folk could click on of course. You could cut and paste each text section from your blog but I don't think that would bring the images across, if they have been uploaded to your WordPress site.

As mentioned above I wrote my blog in Word and put links in for all the images which were stored in my Google+ account (it used to be Picassa until Google took it over). The bit below is an extract and consists of a bit of text, then the image link and then, the bit in bold the caption for the image. The code [I M G] and [/I M G] should of course not have any spaces but if I remove the spaces the image will appear and you won't see how the link is formed. I find it easiest to access my Google+ images using Chrome as you can simply right click on an image and obtain its URL directly, so you can then copy and paste it in. It sounds long-winded but the longest part was selecting, editing and uploading the images to Google+. Other sites can be used to store images. I used Flickr at first but then they fiddled with it and it became harder to find the URLs. Google+ can be a bit spooky - they sent me a link to a slide show just before Christmas they had made automatically which was described as "My Year" and consisted of a dozen or so images from those I had uploaded last year. You may have read FaceBook did something similar and upset a few people, for example sending an image of a child who had died during the year.

Here is an example from my blog, exactly as it was written in Word:

"...I spotted it earlier in the year when my brother and I over 14 days cycled the length of the Pyrenees and its stunning location prompted me to note it and resolve to return at some point to stay.
[I M G]https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-...NEZ0LT58I/w1020-h765-no/P9170091-enhanced.jpg[/I M G]
Rio Anso valley at Zuriza"

Having written the Blog in Word I just selected the whole of the text and pasted it into a blank blog page I created here on MHF. The transfer wasn't entirely smooth and some of the formatting went awry for reasons unknown but it wasn't hard to then edit the new MHF blog and correct it.
Thanks DBK, I think I'll just go for the link - line of least resistance. Beautiful pics of the Pyrenees btw. I spent six weeks cycling the Cols of the Tour, d'Aspin, Tourmalet Aubisque and others. Another beautiful part of la belle france
PB

Reactions: DBK

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back