Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
We've been thinking about changing our Rv for some time but haven't quite found what we're looking for until today Maybe!!!!

With the weather being dismal we decided to drive over the cotswolds to Dudleys to look at the new 26ft A class without to much enthusiasm but thought it would be a nice drive and we'll have some lunch out.

Wow what a shock this is a proper A class with 2 slides plenty of locker space and bags of room inside, only compromise we found was having to give up a permanent dining table which when we're abroad we never use. Being only 26ft long and 158" wheelbase and virtually no overhang it is very easy to manouver unlike most RV's. So now we need to rethink as we'd pretty well settled on a B plus. Never owned a Winnie before but always hear good reports and I have to say the build quality seemed quite good especially the way some manufacturers are going at the moment.

Would like to hear what other owners think of Winnie quality and reliability.:thumb::thumb:

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Hi Ror we have owned ours for 3 years and 24,000 miles without any serious problems, I agree that they are a quality RV.

Problems so far have been a leaking screen and a leak from the front cap, the front cap was easily fixed but the screen was more of a problem. Its bonded into a painted steel frame which had rusted in places under its coat of paint, so the bond failed letting the water in the top of the screen. :cry:

It had in my opinion been painted when it was rusty, not good quality control, still removed the rubber surround at the top, cleaned the steel and rustproofed it, then sealed the existing bond to the steel with some sealant Duncan got me. So far no probs.

Is it on the standard ford chassis for that size?

Olley

Tony Santara

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Cheshire (ex Mancunian)
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 1994
My Winnebago was an older one 1993 couldn't argue about the quality as for old one it's still in pretty good shape , the interior woodwork is still in good nick and in working order.

However I have heard on the American forums that the quality of materials and finish of the newer ones is in doubt , so also are other makes
I suppose time is the test

Hope this helps

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Is this the one Rory? Link Removed

Looks very nice, but the price:Eeek: Would you not just bring one back from the states on one of your 4 yearly visits, they must be going for next to nothing out there at the mo.

OP
OP
Forestboy

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Olley
I've read about that problem on several American forums apparently it's quite common but Winnie choose to ignore it as it usually occurs after the warranty runs out.
Scotjimland
Ive already had a quote from Florida £48k was their first offer and probably still a bit more to go.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Hi Winnie's are advertising them for around $90,000 depending on spec.

Olley

OP
OP
Forestboy

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Olley

It's on a Widetrack Workhorse with Vortec engine same as I have in the states which is in my opinion is a really good combination.

RuthRv

Free Member
Jan 4, 2008
Funster No
Olley
Ive already had a quote from Florida £48k was their first offer and probably still a bit more to go.

i know that you will get that down even further, especially if you wait till your next trip to the usa, or you are not the rory we know:winky: hey you could always take linda with you as a closer you know she can haggle for england,:ROFLMAO: but hey good luck, and if you both agree then go for it, it certainly appears to have all what you are looking for, as for a dining table, trays can suffice small price to pay imho

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
I think it would be a great touring / holiday RV, 26ft will get into most sites, but too small for full time, a dining table is a must when living in one.. the other negative is the petrol engine..

In saying that, I wouldn't turn one down in a straight swap.. :ROFLMAO:.. :roflmto:

Tony Santara

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Cheshire (ex Mancunian)
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 1994
Hi Rory
Just had a look at the Vista on Dudleys site, looks the part but what about the locker space ?

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Hi Ror all workhorse "W" series are widetrack ::bigsmile: but definitely a super combo. I didn't know the leaking screen was a common fault, I have also had surface rust on the steel locker faces, you can't see this until you open the locker doors. Why they don't galvanize all their external steel I don't understand.

Couple of problems you may get with the Workhorse. Actia display resets its self as you are driving along, doesn't effect anything except all gauges drop to zero before returning, and the flipping seat belt warning buzzer sounds for 20 sec's or so, mine's done it 5-6 times in 24,000 odd miles, no known cause and may have been fixed on your newer model

A bit more serious are reports of brakes binding on, this is being investigated, loads of moaning on IRV2 about it, but along with many others I haven't had any problems.

If you are thinking of an LPG conversion, do you have room for the tanks?

Olley

OP
OP
Forestboy

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
I think it would be a great touring / holiday RV, 26ft will get into most sites, but too small for full time, a dining table is a must when living in one.. the other negative is the petrol engine..

In saying that, I wouldn't turn one down in a straight swap.. :ROFLMAO:.. :roflmto:

I must say I would prefer diesel but thats a small negative I think especially with an lpg conversion. Dining table we can live without although it does have 2 plug in tables and the dressing table will take Jan's sewing machine which travels everywhere with us.

OP
OP
Forestboy

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Hi Rory
Just had a look at the Vista on Dudleys site, looks the part but what about the locker space ?

Plenty of locker space not as much as my current Rv but a hell of a lot more than a B or C class. if we go that route we will need a trailer which somewhat defeats the object.

If you are thinking of an LPG conversion, do you have room for the tanks?

Olley

According to Dudleys yes but I'd check first.

Shaz&Den

Free Member
Jul 13, 2008
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
RV A Class
Exp
1st year
Hi

We've had our Winnie for just over a year - it's the best thing we have brought. Yes it does have a few problems but you would except it on a 20 year old RV. So I say if you want it go for it - Ours hadn't been looked after internally and needed alot of TLC, but with a lot of hard work and lots of help and advise from other RV owners the problems have always been sorted - it's part of owning an old RV!

We have had a Fleetwood Pace Arrow but I do like the Winnie better, if I could I would become a full timer.

Good Luck

Sharon & Dennis

wbd2000uk

Free Member
Feb 13, 2008
Funster No
Just looked at the unit in question and it seems ok. Shame it hasn't got 'proper' lockers like that Sightseer. Why don't you look at the Sightseer's, there is quite a few on Dudley's website also quite a bit cheaper.

OP
OP
Forestboy

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Just looked at the unit in question and it seems ok. Shame it hasn't got 'proper' lockers like that Sightseer. Why don't you look at the Sightseer's, there is quite a few on Dudley's website also quite a bit cheaper.

Your right the Sightseer does have better lockers.
We've been to look at a Sightseer today 29ft and it's got more locker space than even our 35ft Damon. We're considering it even though we would have preferred 27ft its still under 30ft which is still ok. The best part is its at a great price as the guy needs to sell, on a Ford though and I would have preferred a Workhorse.
It doesn't look like we will be able to deal with Dudley s anyway because he's playing hardball as he reckons its the only 27ft for sale at the moment and we're too far apart on a deal. Last week it looked like we could do a deal but its fallen apart in the last couple of days. Not too concerned Jan loves the Damon and doesn't really want to swop its me that's looking for something different.
If it's meant to be it'll happen if not Hey Ho.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Workhorse Diesel?

Hi

Found this:- New Workhorse chassis with Diesel

Link Removed

You never know it may appear in the Winnebago range soon?

pete

wbd2000uk

Free Member
Feb 13, 2008
Funster No
Your right the Sightseer does have better lockers.
We've been to look at a Sightseer today 29ft and it's got more locker space than even our 35ft Damon. We're considering it even though we would have preferred 27ft its still under 30ft which is still ok. The best part is its at a great price as the guy needs to sell, on a Ford though and I would have preferred a Workhorse.
It doesn't look like we will be able to deal with Dudley s anyway because he's playing hardball as he reckons its the only 27ft for sale at the moment and we're too far apart on a deal. Last week it looked like we could do a deal but its fallen apart in the last couple of days. Not too concerned Jan loves the Damon and doesn't really want to swop its me that's looking for something different.
If it's meant to be it'll happen if not Hey Ho.

I've seen a few Sightseer's for sale both privately and trade, which one were you looking at?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back