Club membership (1 Viewer)

S

sinbad1

Deleted User
Hi

New to all this (picked the motorhome up Wed::bigsmile:)

Thinking of maybe joining one of these clubs ;but are they really worth it , I read some threads that say that there are better deals than the discounts offered with the clubs.

Seems there is a lot of negative feedback for tthe CC , not seen any negative feedback for the CCC .
Would like your feedback on wether or not to join and which one you would recomend

Regards

moandick

Free Member
Jul 28, 2007
Landrake, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Euro-shed
Exp
40 +
A few simple harsh facts which will bring enormous showers of vitriol from other MHFunners - but in my opinion as an Ex-Warden of the Caravan Club:..........

In general........

The Caravan Club has more sites, better quality sites, cleaner sites and many, many good wardens.

It also has some very bad Wardens who can spoil your holiday if you let them get to you - put a uniform on them and they become Rottweilers!

The Caravan and Camping Club is known as the friendly Club, has fewer sites and perhaps not such up-to-date, standard clean sites but also has a lot of very friendly wardens - AND Tents and footballs!

Generally tents mean lots of younger children or teenager types who like to drink and make a noise late at night - and they don't mind too much if they site their tent on your pitch and tie their guide lines onto your wing mirrors.

The Motorcaravanners Club spend a lot of time on rallies with the same motorcaravans - they don't have their own sites and therefore the Rallies tend to be on sites in the middle of nowhere with absolutely no facilities. Because they spend a lot of time with the same people they have got a bit of a reputation for being "cliquey"

Most private sites have all of everything good and bad mentioned on all of the Clubs above - and in general are happy to charge you for it! However, they do quite often provide the 'Holiday Park' type site where you get entertainment every night and swimming pools and disco's etc., etc., etc.

Oh, boy - this is one situation where you pays your money and takes your choice. :Eeek:

Braunston

Free Member
May 21, 2008
Funster No
Hi,

I think both Clubs are products of there own success in that both of them have sites in very good positions but like most things in life if they are that good everyone wants them so getting booked into some of the better positioned sites at the main times of the year bank holidays school holidays and weekends for the city based sites is often very difficult if you don't book a long while in advance.

The special offers from both of them with the concept of the Internet can often be equally obtained by searching online or booking direct,i.e. ferry fares, insurance, breakdown cover.

As a member of either you will be entitled to discounts on the site fees subject to the top paragraph, however quiet often the rates charged can be obtained from private sites where you don't have to pay a membership fee.

Both Clubs have CL's or CS's which are small privately owned sites which offer more modest accommodation at reasonable rates, but we have only used a few of these and must be honest and say they are not our cup of tea.

Being both over 55 we have chosen to stay with the C&CC as they have a scheme which makes some of the sites out of season very very competitive as that is where we think the main benefit to us lies, others i am sure will have other views.

Hope that helps

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

finby

Free Member
Oct 3, 2007
norfolk
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
about 8
Were in both - the CC club and the CCC club.
We have found (in our opinion that is) that the Caravan Club is better. We will not be renewing our CCC subscription this year (partially because we cant afford both and partially because we have found the CC sites to be better located and better maintained). With the CC its advisable to read the book with reference to facilities on each site, for instance some sites do not have showers, some do not have laundry facilities - these are things you would probably want if staying for any length of time. We dont really bother about special "deals" being offered, we just decide where we want to go and book the appropriate site or sites - for example I'm in the process of bookin a week at Berwick on Tweed and another at Hawes, and another at Kessingland. These are nice places to stay at, and we cough up the going rate rather than save a few quid by relying on specials.
Hope you enjoy motorhoming as much as we do (its addictive - be warned !!), and joining a club ensures that you have the peace of mind in knowing that the standards are pretty much the same at eash club site.:thumb::thumb::thumb:

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
On the other hand we are members of both CC and CCC but prefer the CCC. The CC always appear to be up themselves just a little bit, however we find their sites pretty nice but as Mrs Deluxe pointed out "I don't want to camp on a car park". Despite some horror stories we have found their wardens very friendly and helpful.

The point is that each to their own and both are good organisations with their own particular merits. I will more likely renew with CCC although we have used the CC more.... probably end up renewing both.

greenasthegrass

Free Member
Oct 31, 2007
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
We are members of them both - we are finding this year that C&CC are getting very expensive with four bods and 2 dogs. CC seems to be that bit cheaper at the moment for some reason - trouble is sometimes where you want to go its got the other one you are not a member of so we are members of them both for that reason - we are finding peak times at nearly £30 a night on some sites just too expensive. We have found the CL or CS far better value even though not quite same facilities as long as we have EHU we have our own facilities on board so can't see the point of troggin over to the shower block when its really cold just for a shower!

We may try some CC sites abroad this year for a change just to see the difference.

We have also found C&CC wardens more standoffish than CC - recently went to Hawes CC and the warden there was lovely very obliging and will definitely go back again.

Greenie

JayDee

Free Member
Oct 7, 2007
N. Devon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years after 5 years with caravan.
Clubland

We are members of all of them - CC, CCC and MCC.
Haven't used the MCC sites at all (Cl type sites).

We tend not to differentiate between clubs as we usually find that one or the other is open at the times we want and near the places we want. If not then we use commercial sites.

Somebody said, on being asked the difference between them, that the CC had more dogs and the CCC had more kids, which though a bit flip has a lot of truth in it: the CC doesn't allow tents, while the CCC does. Younger and less well off families are the more likely people to have tents, so they will join the CCC. CC members will tend to be older, better off and thus have a caravan; often with a dog in tow (no, not literaly :Doh:). This of course doesn't mean that the CCC sites have no caravans and no dogs, any more than that the CC sites have loads of dogs and no kids.

Having said that we don't differentiate, the CCC old farts concession saves quite a few quid out of season, so we do try to use those then.:thumb:

So there it is; the choice is yours.
(Oh and we've been fortunate that we haven't come across Mr. Stalin at any club site - yet), though we did stay at one CCC site a few years ago where the warden was blatanly flouting the 6 metre seperation rule. Naughty man!:thumbdown:

Hope this is useful.

John

Last edited:
Oct 15, 2007
Five Roads Alyth
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 2005
We like the C&CC, third year and we've used quite a few sites and found wardens great, well Jerry's a bit scary at Blackmore:Eeek:....
Tryed CC when we first got the RV (3 and a bit years ago) but didn't like the feel, that said our RV's 31 years old and she isn't bad for her age but she's definatly showing it and we did feel the one site we tryed wern't impressed.

Zoe68

Free Member
Feb 14, 2008
Derby
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
nearly 3
Its all down to who is staying on the site at the same time as you! either you will like it or you won't!
9 ties out of 10 we end up shutting ourselves inside the van anyway so as long as theres a hook up and a waste and water point I'm not to fussed.

Castaway

Free Member
Mar 2, 2008
Darlington
Funster No
MH
Gone back to tugging
Exp
40 years
We're in both clubs and the Compass Owner's Club and use both club's sites, including CLs and CSs depending on what we want to do with the weekend. I find they're both as good (or bad!) as each other and haven't had any problems with wardens for a long time, finding them all very helpful and friendly.
We also enjoy the Owner's Club rallies that we go on, having made many friends over the years so that's another option you could consider.
Like most things in this life, you pays your money and you takes your chance!

OP
OP
S

sinbad1

Deleted User
Thanks for all your reply's

Seem that there is two camps cc or ccc I have no experience of either , although i did spend some time moored at a leisure park which at one time became certificated and was only allowed 6 caravans , it was later abandoned by the owner saying there were too many restricions (shame superb site).however i was on the canal adjoining the site so it didn't affect me.

One problem with the cc that concerns me is the need to book well in advance to secure a pitch, as many sites are limited on the number of club members allowed.

Site discounts should soon pay for the subsciptions whichever i choose, could be worth doing both for the first year then decide for myself;but does seem a lot of money to pay out, thats the reason for my post.

Expect i'll be using all other types of sites too.

Regards |Roy

Cavendish

Free Member
Aug 10, 2008
England
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since September 2008
Thanks for all your reply's
One problem with the cc that concerns me is the need to book well in advance to secure a pitch, as many sites are limited on the number of club members allowed.
The above comment is very true. The CC started taking reservations for summer 2009 last month and already the popular sites are getting booked up at weekends. BUT the CC do offer campsites which are an excellent standard.

When we started out caravanning we decided to join the CC & C&CC for a year and see which one we liked the best. A few years down the line we're still members of both clubs. :RollEyes:

Aug 1, 2007
Billingham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2003
I use both, not much between them but I find the C&CC slightly more expensive and not the "friendly club" they claim to be, they also have more booking rules (minimum of three nights must be booked in the summer or bank holidays) and are more likely to break there own rules and cram people in when busy.

Ralph

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Membership

Hi

I`ve been in both clubs for over 30years, starting with a 10ft caravan. and now with a 30+ft R-V. Neither club is better, they both have strengths (and weakness!) I`ve Rallied with both too, as a "tugger" mostly. We have made some Very good friends, (and a couple of enemies, but that is what you get being on`t " comitee"!!)

CC have lots of good sites, CL`s/C`s are mostly worth using, and in some very pretty places too, but with a motorhome (R-V) you need to watch for "hardstand" and "Part Sloping" One desireable the other not!!, and an incresing number have access to EHU if you want or need it. Same applies the CCC, their Sites tend to be less Formalised, and they have the benefit of a Reservation system, which means that Not all the pitches are "first come first served" thus avoiding not being allocated a pitch too small!! (for my R-V)

In fact the CC are gradually LIMITING (More) sites with regard to size. (the CCC used to have a limit of 24ft until one of their senior officers bought a motorhome which was too big, then lo and behold the policy changed!!) The CC also have the only (I think) two sites within the London LEZ? which is fine IF YOU CAN PASS MUSTER ON EMMISIONS but not if you cant!!!. Site for site I think you can still make your Membership money back due to the lower site night prices, IF you use them frequently enough. And access to their magazines helps to keep you up to date with the latest Motor/Caravan SPECIFIC news, and just as importantly thinking along the lines of "what will be the next restriction on our passtime".

Just dont expect them to put their heads above the parapet on behalf of "us". like they should have done over the LEZ, Nor to come out against Fuel Tax Hikes either.

Pete

OP
OP
S

sinbad1

Deleted User
mystery_machine,ralph-dot,PeteH.

Thanks for your feedback being a member of CC and CCC is probably to way to go for the first year and then decide if i should renew.

Apart from hopefully a planned trip to France later in the year , most of the trips we will do wont be planned that much in advance, just like to take off and land where ever

Thanks again

Regards Roy

Jan Pendreigh

Free Member
Feb 23, 2008
Funster No
Being child free wrinklies, full time tourers and members of both clubs we tend to use club sites in low season (eg, on Canterbury CCC at the moment on a winter seasonal pitch which works out at £4.11/night) and migrate to CLs and CSs the minute the schools break up.

The atmosphere on any club site is entirely down to the management team, call them what you will, wardens or HSMs, and we've encountered the Adolph variety (Kingsbury Water Park in June last year) and the wonderful variety that just make a stay so happy (Ferry Meadows). Their job isn't one I would want having seen some of the things some members do, and with both clubs spending less on renovations and upkeep it's not going to get easier.

Has anyone ever been asked for their membership number for either club on a CL or CS? We haven't.

On the other hand, most CLs and CSs have put their prices up in the last couple of years and are sometimes more expensive than club sites - especially for the single camper who has to pay per pitch rather than per person plus a small pitch fee.

Jan

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Was a member of CC but have cancelled this year..
Only ONE reason, I simply could not put up with any more spam emails and unwanted post trying to sell me really crappy insurance policy stuff ..
Now I run several on line shops and have done for 9 years now.. I average 20 or 30 spam mails a day offering me everything from nether region enlargement ( would LOVE to know how the buggers know I need it ) to a university degree..
Yet the garbage I got from CC made me cancel membership... should tell you something !

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Has anyone ever been asked for their membership number for either club on a CL or CS? We haven't.

Hi Jan

Yes, at the last two CLs both asked for membership number, but as mine has expired some eight months previous I doubt they do any checks..

To be frank, I think they only go through the motions, at the end of the day, one man's £ is a good as the next.

What put me off of seasonal pitches with the C&C Club was the 'three week rule' .. is this enforced ?

Jim

OP
OP
S

sinbad1

Deleted User
Was a member of CC but have cancelled this year..
Only ONE reason, I simply could not put up with any more spam emails and unwanted post trying to sell me really crappy insurance policy stuff ..
Now I run several on line shops and have done for 9 years now.. I average 20 or 30 spam mails a day offering me everything from nether region enlargement ( would LOVE to know how the buggers know I need it ) to a university degree..
Yet the garbage I got from CC made me cancel membership... should tell you
something !

I did read your post apart from the spam you got their response beggers belief
so if i do decide they wont get my real email addy.

Hi Jan

What put me off of seasonal pitches with the C&C Club was the 'three week rule' .. is this enforced ?

Jim
Sorry to appear dim ;but 'three week rule'? is that a max stay time?

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Sorry to appear dim ;but 'three week rule'? is that a max stay time?

Yes, three weeks max stay on a seasonal pitch.

This is also the rule on any touring site, but I think it may be 'bent' as it is on some CLs which have a 28 day limit.. perhaps other full timers could comment ?

I personally know one CL where a full timer stayed for two years ..

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).

:whatthe::whatthe::whatthe:

Hi JawsMC,

We've been members of the CC for 20 years now, and since registering with them online, we've never had any spam from them at all. Since registering online with the C&CC last year, we've only had two emails, and not ones that I would consider to be spam either.

Our main gripe with the CC, is the inability to book a hard standing pitch suitable for the weight of the vehicle. Even a non member, (where permitted), in the smallest of outfits, can occupy the biggest hard standing pitch..............if they get there first, ie, first come, first served.
We know ARV owners, who have been told by CC wardens when booking a site, that they had a suitable pitch for their 30 ft, 7.5 tonne ARV, only to turn up and find the only suitable pitch was occupied by a caravan and a 4x4. :Angry: The wardens response was...........the tugger got there first. How frustrating is that?

The C&CC appear to adopt a more practical attitude to members needs, and will permit the pre-booking of a suitable pitch. We checked this out prior to taking out membership with them. :winky:

Jock.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I too have been a member of both for years, though I cannot remember the last time I stopped on a proper site. I hate them, in the summer many are worse than parking up in the middle of the worst type of housing estate. I am only in the CC for the CLs but even then I have never been asked for a membership card so wonder why I bother, but fairs fair, so I will continue to pay them. I stay in the C &CC whilst I have a large RV because of the RAC arrival scheme, but I am presently with Safeguard who include recovery, so again I should review it.

I think both clubs are adding to their site portfolios but nowhere near to the level that is required. Give me a nice wild camping spot any day, the only kids screaming are my own, that's my dog barking, my music, my barbecue smoke, where I can tap my feet to the beat of my own genny:Eeek:::bigsmile:

Mavis

Funster
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2007
Seasalter kent
Funster No
MH
Clubman
Exp
Mcc

I belong to CC and the CC&C but my main one is the MCC for Weekend Rallies in School's in the winter for the hardstanding and field sites in the Summer.
I love the more social side and the entertainment that they provide.

They aso have specialist engineers to help members via the web site and magazine
You can make Real Savings from the moment you join:
Stay overnight at any of our 500+ weekend and holiday venues around the UK
you get 10 - 15% off your annual insurance premium
Major / specialist motor caravan insurers offer savings of £25 - £75
Ferry costs
Save an incredible £100+ on some routes over standard published fares.
Overseas tours for Club Members with Club Members in Europe and beyond.

Or make a welcome call to one of the offshore / specialist groups:
Spanish, Ireland, Isle of Man, European, Photographic
They sell Books & Maps for your travels
Great 'Members Only' Offers and Discounts can save you £££’s
Show Discounts and Special members only camping areas
Recovery service available for members – savings £25 - £35
PLUS – Travel insurance, Camping Card International (CCI), and
Enjoy the Monthly Magazine and interactive Website so you see I get a lot from the MCC

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
I belong to CC and the CC&C but my main one is the MCC for Weekend Rallies in School's in the winter for the hardstanding and field sites in the Summer.

Us too Mavis, especially if the meets are close to amenities (or on a decent bus route), and near a pub. :roflmto:

Jock.

Mavis

Funster
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2007
Seasalter kent
Funster No
MH
Clubman
Exp
clubs

Us too Mavis, especially if the meets are close to amenities (or on a decent bus route), and near a pub. :roflmto:

Jock.

Hi Jock I thought we ought to stick up for the MCC as it is a bit different to CC and C&CC and yes they do try to get them on bus routes so we use the old bus pass and this year we have travelled so much around each area.
I love the evenings in a school hall with the entertainment the best.
I love it when the members get up and "do a turn" there is a lot of talent about.
:RollEyes:

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Hi Jock I thought we ought to stick up for the MCC as it is a bit different to CC and C&CC and yes they do try to get them on bus routes so we use the old bus pass and this year we have travelled so much around each area.
I love the evenings in a school hall with the entertainment the best.
I love it when the members get up and "do a turn" there is a lot of talent about.
:RollEyes:

Hi Mavis I have just looked at their site, its better than the last time i looked which must have been a couple of years ago. What is in the "Members Section! of the site? Do they have a forum? The rally calendar is very busy, sounds great::bigsmile:

Mavis

Funster
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2007
Seasalter kent
Funster No
MH
Clubman
Exp
Yes they have a forum (not as active as some )
I hope they dont mind but here is a copy of the members buttons.
Home
Club (info & joining)
Current Events
Club CL's
Members Only Area
Forum Boards
National Rally
Group web links
Group Diaries Links
C.O.M
Disability
Club Contacts
Club CL's
Safe Knights
Touring & Advisors
Insignia
Servicing and M.O.T
Books
Past News Items
Search
Useful Links
FAQs
Friendly Parking
CONTACT US

Dont tell them I did that:ROFLMAO:

Mavis

Funster
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2007
Seasalter kent
Funster No
MH
Clubman
Exp
Jim
Just had a thought go into my web page and choose Camping Capers if you want to see how much fun I have.
And also the Photos are there.
Link Removed
Mavis

Last edited:

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Mavis said:
and yes they do try to get them on bus routes so we use the old bus pass
Rita and I wouldn't know anything about that Mavis. :winky:
We've got that long to go before we qualify for bus passes, they'll probably have been withdrawn by then, due to "budget restraints" or some similar excuse no doubt. :RollEyes: :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Jock.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back