Russia......anyone?? (1 Viewer)

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
Are there any forum folk who have experience of travelling with motorhome/camper in Russia?

I travelled east to the Ukraine border last year and north up to the Baltic, but this year i'm looking at venturing further east along the Baltic coast up to St Petersburg, (possibly Murmansk).

However, Googling for camping areas/facilities etc within Russia, isn't looking too good. So far i have not found one single website listing camping areas, campingplatz, rest stops, or anywhere you can 'overnight'. What i am reading a lot of though is 'don't leave your vehicle anywhere unsecured and unattended', ie parked up in some street whilst you go off on sight-seeing walkabouts!

I could go to France or Spain instead i suppose.....but thats all rather boring and full of 'brits'.

So.......has anyone been in any part of Russia or the Baltic states? If so, i'd like to know what you found re. camping facilities.......if any!

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
The 2escapees on this site have been in a MH apparently (see there blog)

I have been to both the Ukraine and Russia on holiday and business a fair few times and always very careful how I act and not to display to much signs of wealth.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Hi

I recall a guy on Facts who had travelled expensively in Russia and Ukraine but as I'm no longer a member I can't search .. maybe find it Googling if your not a Facts member..

Jim

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
B

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
The 2escapees on this site have been in a MH apparently (see there blog)

I have been to both the Ukraine and Russia on holiday and business a fair few times and always very careful how I act and not to display to much signs of wealth.
Not a problem for me. Doubt they would get too excited about a fifteen year old Transit van! ::bigsmile:

Pretentious 'wealth' is for dreamers and debtors.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Hi

I found the links

Link Removed

Link Removed

I can't post the thread but if you Google

camper russia travel motorhome facts

OP
OP
B

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
I found the links

Link Removed

Link Removed

I can't post the thread but if you Google

camper russia travel motorhome facts
Hmmm....yes i've just joined up to get on their forum and there are some good threads on Russia.

Seems rather 'gloom 'n doom' when some guy on another forum posts, "It is really bad idea....on road their will be many troubles of criminal character. Not all of us in Russia are savages...but such moments are present".:whatthe: Blimey.....and that comment is from a Russian guy! :whatthe:

Apparently it's not really an ideal place to have a vehicle breakdown either, plus zero camping facilities. Think i might stick closer to the Baltic coastline instead!

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Apparently it's not really an ideal place to have a vehicle breakdown either, plus zero camping facilities.

Hmmm.. an AK47 might be more useful than an AA man :whatthe: :roflmto:

Not for the feint hearted ...

OP
OP
B

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
Hmmm.. an AK47 might be more useful than an AA man :whatthe: :roflmto:

Not for the feint hearted ...
Certainly found Ukraine a bit desolate and scary....and i only travelled along the border. Never saw another brit registered vehicle for over a week and the locals looked me over as though i'd just arrived from some outer galactic planet!

They were probably right!

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
Not a problem for me. Doubt they would get too excited about a fifteen year old Transit van! ::bigsmile:

Pretentious 'wealth' is for dreamers and debtors.

Get out of the glitz of Moscow and a 15 YO Transit is considered pretty damned good:winky:

Believe me poverty is still rife there especially in the Ukraine

wkdtroll

Free Member
Jul 29, 2008
North Wales
Funster No
MH
VW T5 Conversion
Exp
7 years
Certainly found Ukraine a bit desolate and scary....and i only travelled along the border. Never saw another brit registered vehicle for over a week and the locals looked me over as though i'd just arrived from some outer galactic planet!

They were probably right!

Sounds like Anglesey!!!!:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

OP
OP
B

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
Perestroika Tours (Herzlich Willkommen bei Perestroika Tours -Ihr Spezialist für geführte Reisen mit dem Freizeitmobil) arrange motorhome tours to Eastern Europe and beyond. Page 15 of their 2009 brochure shows their tour to St Petersburg and Murmansk, returning under your own steam through Norway or Sweden.

Terry
Excellent link Terry.

I'm planning now to do more of the Baltic coast this summer with the possibility of going on up to Latvia and Lithuania. My main problem is time (not enough of it!!) and i think i may have to settle for now on smaller tours.

Early retirement and fulltiming is the ultimate goal! :thumb::Smile:

OP
OP
B

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
Sounds like Anglesey!!!!:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Anglesey is overpopulated by comparison!

I was actually at Sobibor which is on the far east side of the Polish border with Ukraine. Very isolated and 'agricultural' with farmer type characters driving ancient tractors out of the 1950's. Some of the campsites were quite 'third world' as well.

Though i never found anyone who understood one word of english, the locals seemed a fairly ok bunch of folks, but it's not exactly an ideal place to break down at!

T

Terry Nathan

Deleted User
Thanks Bulletguy,

all being well we intend selling our American RV in the summer and going to the Dusseldorf Show end of August to buy something more appropriate to Europe specs. Then we'll do some of the Perestroika tours, including the one to Murmansk and another one to Moscow/Black Sea/Moldova. The market in the States is difficult right now, but we'll try.

Terry

OP
OP
B

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
Thanks Bulletguy,

all being well we intend selling our American RV in the summer and going to the Dusseldorf Show end of August to buy something more appropriate to Europe specs.....
Wise decision! An RV isn't exactly the best type of vehicle for some of the roads i drove on. OK for large main roads and motorways, but not country roads.....particularly in Poland!

The Russian naval fleet (at least whats left of it) has a pretty large base at Murmansk. Not sure how close it's possible to get to but that's my interest in that place.

weymard

Free Member
Jan 25, 2009
CHERBOURG NORMANDY
Funster No
MH
US TRUCK CAMPER
Exp
:Smile: I went to Russia in summer 2007 with my dodge ram and a camper (demountable), I left from Cherbourg to Saint-Petersbourg across Baltic countries, after I went to Moscow and finish in Perm Oural, return by south Russia, Ukraine, Slovakia, Tchequie and Germany. We had no problem, security was real, on the road we slept in secure park (25 rubles average the night). The people were very nice, charming. In Russia and Ukraine we had accumulator problems and each time many people helped us.
If you read the French langage go to weymard I tell our journey.

(excuse me for my poor English !)

Last edited:

Elvis

Free Member
Jun 13, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since Nov 2008
Poland? Great place

Why not try Poland or chezc republic? I did both a few times in the mid 90s, great places to visit then and prob a bit better now re facilities - we only had a car then though - you have to watch the police a bit re stopping you for bribes but just pretend you don't know what they are talking about & never give them cash and you will be fine ::bigsmile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back