New MoHo discount (1 Viewer)

Nov 6, 2013
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B574DL
Exp
Since 2011 (tugger for 20 before that)
We have just been to our local Swift dealer and we are very interested in the Bolero 684FB.
I am a little disappointed in the discount offered and wonder what other Funsters have negotiated.
The OTR price including the Vogue Pack is £55960 and they are offering it to me for £53453. Thats only £2507 off. I work that out to be aprox 4.5%.
Am I expecting too much or is that a good discount.
I have to bear in mind that there are very few of these about now and will have to wait until June to collect it. I haven't done the deal yet so would appreciate Funsters advice.
John.

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
I have to bear in mind that there are very few of these about now and will have to wait until June to collect it.
John.

I think your answering your own question here... If it's a popular or rare model then the dealer may have an upper hand..
Find at least one other dealer who may have one and play one against the other.

My last new van I bought in December, called all the dealers who had one in stock and almost everyone came back with what seemed a standard 10% off list.. Lucky for me the was a van still at the factory and i had two dealers trying to sell it to me..
One offered 10% off, the other a lot more and he won :) !!!

OP
OP
Baycott
Nov 6, 2013
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B574DL
Exp
I think your answering your own question here... If it's a popular or rare model then the dealer may have an upper hand..
Find at least one other dealer who may have one and play one against the other.

My last new van I bought in December, called all the dealers who had one in stock and almost everyone came back with what seemed a standard 10% off list.. Lucky for me the was a van still at the factory and i had two dealers trying to sell it to me..
One offered 10% off, the other a lot more and he won :) !!!
Thanks for that Tonka.
I have phoned a couple of other dealers and one cant supply and the other is struggling to locate one.
As you say, I think he has the upper hand and will easily sell it to someone else if not me.

John

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
If you order a new one/buy display model (should be made good to new standard at manufacturers cost) at the NEC Motorhome Show (October) then can get manufacturers offers as well as dealer discount playing one off against the other there(y) The offer is usually an accessory pack & worth (retail value) between £1000 - £3000. There is a NEC show early this year but don't know if same offers as in October as that is when most new models are launched.

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Amazes me that people expect a dealer to give them a high discount and yet they will demand 100% red carpet treatment in the future.............

Less profit leaves less for service........................... can't have it both ways, do you get a discount in Tescos or Waitrose unless they are past sell by date.

Peter

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
There you go Peter is offering a funsters 10% discount code funster2 o_O:D:whistle::rolleyes::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
terry

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
We negotiated 15% off our new Swift
If you don't ask you don't get!
It's all about price conditioning, simply explain that your budget is only £X and see what the say
Thek will offer to meet you half way between your offer end their asking price, but stick to your guns - and always remember the golden rule
He who has the gold - makes the rules

OP
OP
Baycott
Nov 6, 2013
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B574DL
Exp
Amazes me that people expect a dealer to give them a high discount and yet they will demand 100% red carpet treatment in the future.............

Less profit leaves less for service........................... can't have it both ways, do you get a discount in Tescos or Waitrose unless they are past sell by date.

Peter
No offence meant Peter but you cant blame a bloke for trying ;)
I did, in fact, call at Johnscross yesterday but was told you are no longer Swift agents so could not help.
John

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User

Peter
Sorry Peter but I'm not convinced by your argument

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
How about a barely used 2014 model ....

Broken Link Removed

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Less profit leaves less for service...........................
Peter
Peter, I'm intrigued......
What '100% red carpet' treatment would a prospective buyer get by paying maximum 'retail' price for a MH from a dealer than they would buying the exact same van from another dealer at £1,000's less?

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
What '100% red carpet' treatment would a prospective buyer get by paying maximum 'retail' price for a MH from a dealer than they would buying the exact same van from another dealer at £1,000's less?

I suspect that a dealer who has been hammered on price is unlikely to go the extra mile at service time.

From my experience JC have gone out of their way to be helpful to me and haven't charged me for little adjustments that I asked for.

If I were a dealer I would charge in full at service time those customers who demanded the biggest discount.

What goes around, comes around...

Jan 8, 2014
Emsworth
Funster No
MH
Bailey 740
Exp
Hey big discount and buy your own red carpet:roflmto:

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
130k down to 115k for my new one with all the bells and whistles - factory order. ordering as soon as I have the deposit.
And that was their offer without me beating them up. Happy with that(y)
Possibly an import and with the way the euro is against the pound today, sterling price to dealer has dropped

Jan 8, 2014
Emsworth
Funster No
MH
Bailey 740
Exp
130k down to 115k for my new one with all the bells and whistles - factory order. ordering as soon as I have the deposit.
And that was their offer without me beating them up. Happy with that(y)
So Dave what have you bought? Did you order from Southdown's?

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
You only have to look at the oil price to realise its all about supply and demand (and the exchange rate and some prices are inflated to allow for a discount and........)

ABZSteve

Free Member
Banned
Jan 8, 2014
Aberdeen
Funster No
MH
2018, Apache 634 150 Auto
Exp
Since 2015
Just over 8% off with 3 dealers bidding. Don't know if I could have got more but I got to the stage where I fealt that I could be p!$$ing them off and I didn't want to do that. I also had to bear in mind that I wasn't buying a stock or standard lead-time van i.e. I wanted the comfortmatic box and engine upgrade. Settled on a deal that was way below what I had budgeted for a new Motorhome so went home happy and hopefully the dealer did too.

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
I suspect that a dealer who has been hammered on price is unlikely to go the extra mile at service time.
Hi Chris
Surely the cost of servicing is the same for all customers ?
Are you suggesting that dealers overcharge customers for servicing who have negotiated a deal on their new van?
Don't get me wrong I'm not knocking JC I just don't accept the argument that paying more for your van gets you better service
I did ask Peter about what a Red Carpet service and look forward to learning more about this

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Hi Chris
Surely the cost of servicing is the same for all customers ?
Are you suggesting that dealers overcharge customers for servicing who have negotiated a deal on their new van?
Don't get me wrong I'm not knocking JC I just don't accept the argument that paying more for your van gets you better service
I did ask Peter about what a Red Carpet service and look forward to learning more about this

I am sure servicing costs are the same for everyone. I was talking more about items that aren't part of the normal service or not warranty items. For example I didn't like the handles on some of my doors and these were altered FOC by JC. I also had an issue with a tv that wasn't supplied by them again this was dealt with without a charge. My point really is that if you hammer a dealer on price then you can expect to pay for everything you ask them to do on your van.

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
A dealer that has long since retired told me the secret of his fantastic reputation: when ever you do a deal on a motorhome make sure there's enough profit in it to say yes to the customer however unreasonable request is.

That way the customer is always happy and we never get shouted at

It kinda makes sense.

Dec 24, 2009
bedworth warks
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
2009 previously a tugger for thirty years
Doesn't Johns Cross offer free Hab Checks for so long? Not all dealers do that you know! We've bought two brand new vans in the last 5 years and neither of the dealers we used offered that. However we were more than satisfied by the prices on the vans themselves and it's much easier for us to get Mark (CLS) to come here and do the checks than have to drive to the dealers - so no prob !

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
You can get 17% discounts on vans in Germany if you do your homework and shop around. With the current exchange rate @ 1.28 you will be quids in, plus hopefully have a far better van than a member of the fast flying bird variety:LOL:

BreweryDave

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2011
Alvor, Algarve
Funster No
MH
None now!
Exp
15k is a great saving and is better off in your bank than ths dealers !!
Yup - and I feel good about it as its 'just' on budget, is a good saving off list price for the spec, and as that was his offer then I'm sure he's happy, I'm happy, and the 'red carpet' treatment should continue - whatever that is!!! Suffice to say - they are a very nice (family) bunch, and I'll be hapy to stay with them for future work/servicing etc - which I guess is what its all about. As Eddie Vanbitz said above - as long as everyone is happy with the deal, then that should make for a good ongoing relationship!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back