Crack (1 Viewer)

May 5, 2014
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Beginners, got Doggy the van - March 2014
Expiriance Cleaver Funsters, your advice needed Please.
While washing our Autotrail MH, noticed a small crack top side (side part of the roof).
The MH is 2.5 years old and autotrail said our of warranty, they will quote for the repair.
image.jpg
image.jpg

What can be the caused for it? How/where the best to do the repair? (We are in Leicestershire)
Thanks for your help

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
My engineer friend tells me the best way to stop any crack is to drill a neat hole at its furthest end.

Then sealant?

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Bottom bit looks like sealant shrinking, scrape out and reseal, top one, drill small hole at end of crack and fill with gelcoat possibly

Peter

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
I would see if a legal Beagle on here can give you some advice. I would also ask an independent engineer to have a look and identify the cause. It doesn't seem right to me that after only 2.5 years a very expensive item like this needs major work.

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
My Autotrail is around 2.5 years old and I thought I had a TEN year body warranty!!!!! :mad:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
How can it be out of warranty ? @ 2.5 yrs old ???? I would slag them off/tell everyone what they are saying
:(
Then I would simply do what looks less than £100 repair :Dand sod em :D
terry

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Did you buy it from a dealer? If so they are responsible and if you don't get any joy then good old trading standards........

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
I would raise a complaint with Autotrail.

Their warranty states: "the motorhome is covered by a two years makers warranty and a one year insurance backed warranty to provide a three year habitation warranty for total peace of mind."

It also states: Year 1-5 full cover by Autotrail - "that it has a ten year makers warranty against the breakdown of the body seals"

I cannot see how what has happened is not covered somewhere in their warranty.

Surely "total peace of mind" means something to them!!

OP
OP
Dogsense
May 5, 2014
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Thanks for your comments.
I know that it is 10 years water ingress warranty.
We bought it from a private seller 21 months old with 1300 mil on the clock.
Acording to what autoTrail told the technical man, at the dealer we have used for some work and we showed him the pictures which he forward to them, our warranty expired, I have still to check if there is extra insurance warranty.
Are there any good, reliable repairers that you know of in Leicestarshire?

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
Autotrail state it is transferable but you must apply direct to MB&G at the time of change of ownership with a fee of £50

Small print get out (n)

I know of no repairers in Leicester but have used Elite near Banbury for a crack in the fibreglass front overhead part. (I hit a tree)

They did a great job and I would recommend them. Send them photographs and ask for a quote. (y)

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
My understanding is that the original warranty can be transfered BUT you do need to advise Autotrail.
The 3rd year is covered by a third party MB&G.... I suspect they will use the get out clause if you have not notified AT for the owner change.
Not sure when the 10 year ingress warranty started, I know it is on my 2012 model.

If you get stuck for a repairer try here http://www.motorhomerepairs.co.uk/ they are Autotrail approved..

If you haven't already done it then it may be wise to get a Hab check done and ensure there is no water ingress..

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dogsense
May 5, 2014
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
We transferred the MB&G to our name when bought the MH.
Thanks for the repairers recommendation, will try to contact them, Babury and Cannock are nearer to us then Autotrail in Grimsby.

joncris

Free Member
Jan 11, 2011
Where it matters
Funster No
MH
Rimor Katamarano 12p +
Exp
It may be out of THEIR warranty but its not out of the SOGA and a motorhome (unless abused by the owner) would be expected to last much longer than 2.5 years. If they won't do the decent thing report them to TS other than that sue the beggars AND keep everything in writing. If telephoning ensure you can record the conversation

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
As Jon says.. One of the few advantages of being in the EU.
Even white goods have a minimum of two years warranty under the EU statutory rights rules ( contrary to what people like Currys will claim )

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Get it checked first and see what the repairers say.. If you have MB&G then it shoukd be covered, however I have heard of limitations on gel repairs....
Mine is booked into Cannock resprays for next wednesday for them to look at and report back to Autotrail..

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
I reckon by the time you have spent your money arguing you will be better off saving your time and getting it repaired. It's not that tough to repair and should be relatively inexpensive, you could even give it a go yourself with a little knowledge.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Thinking about this, it is not the crack its self but what CAUSED the crack.. If the body is flexing that much there may just be an underlying larger problem

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Thinking about this, it is not the crack its self but what CAUSED the crack.. If the body is flexing that much there may just be an underlying larger problem
that may be true John but what do you think they will do ?They will/may do the obvious repair and that's it --What is the chance of them looking deeper into this when they are already wriggling :(:)Haggers is of the same school of thought as me
terry

joncris

Free Member
Jan 11, 2011
Where it matters
Funster No
MH
Rimor Katamarano 12p +
Exp
I reckon by the time you have spent your money arguing you will be better off saving your time and getting it repaired. It's not that tough to repair and should be relatively inexpensive, you could even give it a go yourself with a little knowledge.
Yes do that but tell them before it goes for repair and at the same time tell them you'll be sending them the bill

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp

I agree. See post 4 ..

Identifying the cause is more important than anything else right now.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I will be just in the Gelcoat, possibly a bit too thick as this can cause cracking, the only way to fix it is with a local repair, warm it up a little bit and get some polyester resin to suck in with the heat and that will stabilise anything going on behind then it wants a bit of gel wiping into the crack to seal and hide it. Then it looks like it needs the joint resealing as JC says.

As others have said, local boatyard/fibreglass shop if the dealer isn't playing ball.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Key parts of the SOGA do not apply when you buy a second hand vehicle from a private seller. Do take advice (y)

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Listen to FunFlair ( Martin )-if he does not know what he is on about in this matter then nobody does (y)
terry

OP
OP
Dogsense
May 5, 2014
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Thanks.

Yes Jaws, that is what I am worried about.

Going to see AutoTrail on the 9th February, will see what they will say, also contacted Cannock Resprays and Nick Bolton motorhome repair at Elite, send both the pictures and waiting to their reply.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back