Cold Air coming in new Autotrail (1 Viewer)

BOND

Free Member
Nov 30, 2013
Swindon
Funster No
MH
2014 Commanche
Exp
Starting March 2014
Hi all
We're hoping to travel Scotland soon so went away last week in the very cold weather (-3) to test a few things & noticed two problems.
1, lots of cold air coming from around the front seats & hab door:eek:, it got so bad that I put blankets down to stop the chill.
2, the heater on electric is pretty much useless in cold weather, the bedroom gets warm but the front vents give cold air even when on max. Is it because the foil cardboard tubes are so long?
Anyone had/having similar issues?

Any help appreciated (y)

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
If it's a Truma blown air system the electric element is generally seen as a booster rather than the principal heat generator, according to many previous posts by those in the know. If you want it really warm - use gas. (Mine doesn't have an electric option by the way so I'm never faced with the dilemma of which source to choose!)

Concerning draughts - I seem to recall comments about vents in the floor pan of the original Fiat base beneath the seats - others will advise I'm sure. I don't think there should be any draughts from the hab. door: any obvious signs of misalignment?

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Vehicle is designed as a chassis cab with big air vents in the bottom of each door. As a motorhome, these vents may not be needed

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
Our 2012 Autotrail/Fiat chassis also has a cold area in the front of the cab.

I am sure the electric heating is only good for plus temperatures. Anything below zero would need either gas or both to cope with it and keep the van warm.

Not sure where the draught comes from but it is definitely there. I usually just throw a blanket over the seats to the floor.

BwB

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 3, 2011
Suffolk UK
Funster No
MH
Resting b'twix vans
Exp
Since 1990
On our last van the hab door was very vented at the bottom with a big hole covered in mesh. I taped most up leaving a drain hole and this improved matters greatly. The cab doors also needed a bit of work too. As mentioned, there are some one way vents in the cab floor under the driver/passenger seats. Some converters will replace the vents with sealed gromets but some dont. You have to climb under the van to see them, and then just seal them yourself.

rolandrat

Free Member
Jan 5, 2013
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
It's been mentioned that there are higher output heaters available but have to be specified when ordered from new. Are the dealers passing this information on when an order is being placed?

davejen

Free Member
Aug 21, 2008
Preston
Funster No
MH
Given up travelling
Exp
Since 1992
We've just been away for 3 weeks, never used the gas, just electric heating, had to turn it DOWN on several occasions, temps down to -5 at times. 2004 Autotrail Cheyenne. Truma heater.
Cheers, Dave(y)

rolandrat

Free Member
Jan 5, 2013
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
There can be a strong drought from underneath the front seats where the body joins the cab. If you remove the plastic front covers on the seats and put your arm to the back you will notice the chassis box section which can be very droughty. This can be blocked off with any soft material and an improvement will be noticed straight away.

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Are you using external insulated screens ie silver screens ?? They make a big difference,
You could hang some material to seperate the cab from the back, we do this when travelling in winter through France, makes a huge difference..
The blown air can loose a lot around the vehicle and if you are just using electric and on a low setting it may not be enough.
I usually find a blast with the gas fire heats things up and then the electric just to keep things topped up.
Autotrails are not winterised vans, no double floor etc...

OP
OP
BOND

BOND

Free Member
Nov 30, 2013
Swindon
Funster No
MH
2014 Commanche
Exp
Starting March 2014
There can be a strong drought from underneath the front seats where the body joins the cab. If you remove the plastic front covers on the seats and put your arm to the back you will notice the chassis box section which can be very droughty. This can be blocked off with any soft material and an improvement will be noticed straight away.
Great tip - I'll go & look now & while I'm there I'll crawl underneath to check the one way vents. Let you know if I find anything.

Cossieg

Free Member
Jan 25, 2013
Yate for the summer!
Funster No
MH
None now
Exp
I think there are quite a few things you can look at based on our experience. Put the heater control to recirc so stopping air from coming in via the heater. Block up the vents in the doors & the plugs under the seat on the passenger side as previously mentioned. Look at the join between the cab & the body, I can see the ground outside looking down behind the cab seats! Get a small radiator & put it on the floor between the front seats & leave it on all the time!

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
The hab door on my autotrail had not been adjusted properly and 'leaked' an inordinate amount of wind in !
Set to with screw driver and a bit of patience and no more drafts from that area..
As others mentioned, LOTS of holes in and around the cab area.. I even put gaffa tape over the vents in the doors ( louvred vents actually on the end of the door where it closes to you cannot see them until you open the door..
A little time and effort will cure most of the ills (y)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Also another culprit can be the seat belt covers on the side pillars - these can also cover some 'gaps/holes' in the base of the cab so cold air can travel up the covers and into the cab.

OP
OP
BOND

BOND

Free Member
Nov 30, 2013
Swindon
Funster No
MH
2014 Commanche
Exp
Starting March 2014
Are you using external insulated screens ie silver screens ?? They make a big difference,
You could hang some material to seperate the cab from the back, we do this when travelling in winter through France, makes a huge difference..
The blown air can loose a lot around the vehicle and if you are just using electric and on a low setting it may not be enough.
I usually find a blast with the gas fire heats things up and then the electric just to keep things topped up.
Autotrails are not winterised vans, no double floor etc...
Yes we have the Silver Screen & even used the internal blinds. The heater was on max all day but the front vents never got warm - your right about a blast with gas to up the temp but soon as you turn it off it gets cold in the seating area.
Has anyone changed the flimsy cardboard heater pipes for anything else?

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
We have a 2007 Dakota and yes there are draughts coming from the front cab but like others, we put a large blanket across the ledge under the overcab lockers down to behind the front seats. This makes a great difference and we have never felt cold in the van, it was down to -3 for some nights recently down south. We always have the internal blinds down and the curtains over if it is quite cold.

We only have the Truma heater (electric) at half a kilowatt and that it is fine for us. However, have had to switch the heating off during the night as it got too warm on some nights. I've found the insulation in the van very good and we are always toasty during the very cold weather.

I believe there is a rigid partition available to buy, that fits behind the two front seats.......there is a metal clip behind each of the front seats, we wondered if these were designed to clip this partition on to.

Maybe someone more knowledgeable might be able to confirm what these clips are for. We have Silver Screens, but so far haven't bothered to use them, but they would certainly help with the condensation inside the windscreen.

Bill

Last edited:
OP
OP
BOND

BOND

Free Member
Nov 30, 2013
Swindon
Funster No
MH
2014 Commanche
Exp
Starting March 2014
Ok, I've just quickly crawled underneath, the near side has 2 one way vents that I can see with flimsy rubber, there may be more, the offside has 2 solid blanks & If I shine a torch up under the vehicle I can see some faint light. Anyone know the rules about removing the vents?
The doors have no vents at all, the only holes are drains unless there's something behind the trim panel.
The dust under the seats looks like its 10yrs old not 10mths!
Oh, and there's a few sharp edges:mad:

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
Yes we have the Silver Screen & even used the internal blinds. The heater was on max all day but the front vents never got warm - your right about a blast with gas to up the temp but soon as you turn it off it gets cold in the seating area.

Our pipes are corrugated plastic not cardboard ones.

Bill

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Hi Bond,

It's not a good idea to use internal blinds as well as external screens, as they will only serve to cause condensation on the screen. External only in winter. (y)

Good luck with curing the draughts. :)

Cheers,

Jock.

OP
OP
BOND

BOND

Free Member
Nov 30, 2013
Swindon
Funster No
MH
2014 Commanche
Exp
Starting March 2014
I think the difference is in the age Bill, yours would prob beat mine hands down on lots of things - except the profit they made;)

OP
OP
BOND

BOND

Free Member
Nov 30, 2013
Swindon
Funster No
MH
2014 Commanche
Exp
Starting March 2014
Hi Bond,

It's not a good idea to use internal blinds as well as external screens, as they will only serve to cause condensation on the screen. External only in winter. (y)

Good luck with curing the draughts. :)

Cheers,

Jock.
Thanks Jock(y) - I did notice condensation on the screen for the first time.

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
the vents under the seats are there for a purpose and that is to provide ventilation for the batteries. By all means add insulation around the base but think twice about blocking the drop vents entirely.

OP
OP
BOND

BOND

Free Member
Nov 30, 2013
Swindon
Funster No
MH
2014 Commanche
Exp
Starting March 2014
There is a plastic plug to replace the rubber flap on the chassis, the Fiat part number is 1355707080 and the price is/was £3.80 inc vat.
Thanks rolandrat (y) - I'll get on it tomorrow.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
this is not your problem, but I often forget to close the central dash vents when we arrive on site, I like fresh air when driving, but they let a real gale through if the wind is in the wrong direction

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Fiat parts online £7.66 incl VAT plus postage. The other price goes back to 2010

Last edited:

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
WE had a rear lounge in the Bessacar and the front of the van (bathroom and kitchen) got red hot whilst the back was tepid at best. Then Mark (CLS) pointed out there was a diverter flap on the top of the fire under the 'false floor' in the wardrobe - problem instantly solved - we didn't have a clue that was there till then! Is there something like that on your van do you think?

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
On electric it takes ages to completely heat our van, even on full at 2kw. On gas it warms the van in about 20 minutes. The gas is much more efficient, switching the cab vents to recirculation is a good tip, makes a big difference.

Jul 21, 2013
Vienne France
Funster No
MH
VW T4 & MC LOUIS 671
Exp
2013 / 2004
When on ehu we use an oil filled radiator it does the whole van and safe to leavo on all the time and dosnt have much drag on the sites electric as heating an element unlike fan heaters that are noisy and need a lot of oomf

rolandrat

Free Member
Jan 5, 2013
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
the vents under the seats are there for a purpose and that is to provide ventilation for the batteries. By all means add insulation around the base but think twice about blocking the drop vents entirely.
The so called vents under the seats are nothing to do with batteries on an AutoTrail as they are housed on the side of the chassis behind the skirt. The holes are pressed out during manufacture. I'm on my fourth AutoTrail and I think I know a little about the good and not so good points about them.

rolandrat

Free Member
Jan 5, 2013
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
I might add that I was referring to AutoTrail coachbuilts and not van derived models of which I know nothing about.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back