LIFE MEMBER
Oct 31, 2012
La Marina, Costa Blanca.
Funster No
MH
1986 Hymer A Class
Exp
From 2013
I know this may not apply to the uk at the moment but for the summer in uk or all year in warmer climates.

Is it me or do we have a fly nest? If such a thing exists. It all started in the Sahara.... where we were outnumbered by quite a few.

I seem to be constantly armed with a fly swat in the van recently. In the morning there are always half a dozen waking as it gets warm, no matter how many I have splattered the night before on 'the bug patrol'
We don't like to have to keep everything shuttered up during the day with fly screens especially the door, when in and out a lot, but shut or open they seem to thrive in our van.
We empty the bin everyday and don't leave food out.

So does anyone else have this problem or any good suggestions for keeping the fly population down?
And before you say anything we have a shower every sunday whether we need it or not!

There is also the debate of whether to swat them to a pulp and have to complete the necessary cleanup operation, or just try and kill cleanly with a swat, put them in the bin and risk reanimation! (I have seen it)

Just got another two of the ....

Jan 22, 2013
London SE
Funster No
MH
A class Adria vision I707
Exp
since 1971
You may have a dead rodent/ mouse somewhere in the van that is slowly being consumed,
I had a fly problem when I first brought the van then many months later found an shrivelled carcass of a mouse between the double floors,
Thankfully all clear now

Feb 22, 2014
Grantham
Funster No
MH
Rapido Le Randonneur
Exp
Since 2015
They hide when they see the swat! I know cos they hide in my kitchen......are there horses where you are staying. Flies and horses seem to go together! Hence why they like my kitchen!

OP
OP
Dazzlin

Dazzlin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 31, 2012
La Marina, Costa Blanca.
Funster No
MH
1986 Hymer A Class
Exp
From 2013
They hide when they see the swat! I know cos they hide in my kitchen......are there horses where you are staying. Flies and horses seem to go together! Hence why they like my kitchen!

Horses and camels!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mikey RV

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 7, 2010
Devon
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance I821G
Exp
Since 1977
W

Wow !!!!big kitchen to have horses in there. :D

bernardfeay

Free Member
Nov 18, 2009
Bolton
Funster No
MH
hymer exsis
Exp
10 years
It is very annoying when you are ready for bed and the odd fly wants to buzz round and walk on your face. Our solution is a massive blitz of fly spray all over the van and then we go for a ten minute walk. If you can still breathe before you set off then you have not used enough fly spray. By the time we get back we can be confident that they will all be dead. Obviously, you have to have all the windows and doors shut when you do it and you can only open the windows with fly screens when you get back.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
As above..
We blitz the van and then go for a walk.. Not a permanent cure obviously but saves us running round with the fly swats like a pair of demented line dancers !!!

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Put some fly paper up! That will sort it.

Doesn't work here & we have serious amounts of flies !
I¡ve actually hung them in an area where there have been hundreds of flies & you are lucky if 4 or 5 go on them ? Very odd ?:(

It is very annoying when you are ready for bed and the odd fly wants to buzz round and walk on your face. Our solution is a massive blitz of fly spray all over the van and then we go for a ten minute walk. If you can still breathe before you set off then you have not used enough fly spray. By the time we get back we can be confident that they will all be dead. Obviously, you have to have all the windows and doors shut when you do it and you can only open the windows with fly screens when you get back.

I'd never sleep anywhere , where there was a fly. the ones here actually bite ! :cautious:Not nice as the itching after lasts for a long while & will reoccur occasionally.
Most people laugh when you tell them they bite...............until they get bitten & the blood is running, then the scratching starts .:cry:
Yes got to agree about the fly spray in the van. (y)

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
Doesn't work here & we have serious amounts of flies !
I¡ve actually hung them in an area where there have been hundreds of flies & you are lucky if 4 or 5 go on them ? Very odd ?:(

I'd never sleep anywhere , where there was a fly. the ones here actually bite ! :cautious:Not nice as the itching after lasts for a long while & will reoccur occasionally.
Most people laugh when you tell them they bite...............until they get bitten & the blood is running, then the scratching starts .:cry:
Yes got to agree about the fly spray in the van. (y)
You've just given me an answer, I swatted an insect from my foot a few months ago while in spain and there was blood where it had been.
I didn't realise that Spanish flies bite.
Usually they are just a nuisance.

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
True story,
About 10yrs ago we were on a rally in Cornwall. Nothing out of the ordinary. It was September and the weather was fine but with cool evenings.
Come the time for bed, switched the light off and....bzzzz switched light on and killed fly. Light off Bzzzz.. switch light off and killed 2 flies. This continued with the fly population seeming to get bigger and bigger every time the light went on.

For some reason I opened the knife drawer and we were plagued with Biblical proportions of flies entering the caravan via the drawer.
By this time we had had enough.
I used half a can of fly spray, we locked up and drove home in the car leaving the caravan on site.

We returned the following day and hoovered (other brands are available) literally thousands of flies.

Investigations showed that the flies had entered the 'van via the fridge vents because of the heat produced by the fridge.

We cured that problem by the use of Lidl flyscreen material that was used by all and sundry on the rally field

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Hoovers are good for flies, no squashed flies and you can get from quite a range with good suction.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Flies can be fun too, and the bigger the better !
Get an air pistol or rifle, cock it but do not load it
Get close to a flay and shoot it.
It will not kill them but will stun them..
Get a piece of cotton about 2 feet long and tie to fly's leg
When it comes round you have a fly on a lead !
Sounds batchy but we had a right royal grin walking round with a few like it !
They do not last very long as they get exhausted but it will make you laugh !!

Sep 16, 2010
Bungay Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TrackerEKS
Exp
Since 2010
Rechargeable, electric, tennis bat style fly swat, bought from chinese bazaar in Spain..
Bloody marvelous, but they smell a bit "cooked" when they have been hit. VERY satisfying "pop" though !!!
Such fun !!! :)

makems

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2011
Ingleby Barwick,,Teesside
Funster No
MH
Sadly had to give up
Exp
2010-2017
Rechargeable, electric, tennis bat style fly swat, bought from chinese bazaar in Spain..
Bloody marvelous, but they smell a bit "cooked" when they have been hit. VERY satisfying "pop" though !!!
Bought one at a discount shop before Christmas but not had a need to use it yet.
We are on our way down to Morocco at the moment so it will probably get a fair amount of use quite soon.
Last year we seemed to be bothered by flies a lot more than we had been the year before. Hence the purchase.

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
You may have a dead rodent/ mouse somewhere in the van that is slowly being consumed,
I had a fly problem when I first brought the van then many months later found an shrivelled carcass of a mouse between the double floors,
Thankfully all clear now

I agree something is dead in the motorhome. As it started in the Sahara so probably a camel. :D:rolleyes:

Dec 4, 2014
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Been around the block a few times😉
Flies can be fun too, and the bigger the better !
Get an air pistol or rifle, cock it but do not load it
Get close to a flay and shoot it.
It will not kill them but will stun them..
Get a piece of cotton about 2 feet long and tie to fly's leg
When it comes round you have a fly on a lead !
Sounds batchy but we had a right royal grin walking round with a few like it !
They do not last very long as they get exhausted but it will make you laugh !!
LOL :D you must have a lot of spare time ;)

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
We have one of those, however the wife prefers that I use fly spray after I accidentally zapped her knee with it whilst going for a fly :)

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
LOL :D you must have a lot of spare time ;)
Did back then ! It was in the late 70's.. Was running a fairly successful tv aerial installation company which basically meant I did anything BAR actual work .. That was what the minions did LOL !!!

joncris

Free Member
Jan 11, 2011
Where it matters
Funster No
MH
Rimor Katamarano 12p +
Exp

Beware cos if they're horse flies they give a very nasty bite which can become infected

Last edited:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
And if they are horse flies watch out for stampedes .. make a right mess of the floor !

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back