Rural Spain Campsite and Interesting Places to Visit (1 Viewer)

Phil J.

Free Member
Dec 21, 2014
Clay Cross, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne 696
Exp
We were fortunate enough to live in rural Spain for four years in Calasparra, Murcia and often used to visit the local surrounding towns. On one such occasion we came across a nice site in the Spanish town of Moratalla - Camping La Puerta. The site had good facilities including a pool and excellent restaurant in a good walking area with easy access to the town. The restaurant does a lovely“menu del dia” – 3 courses for 8 or 9 euro including wine.
I mention this site as with it being off the beaten track and away from the coast it is not used by Brits but for anyone looking for a taste of real Spain it is in a good area to explore what inland Spain has to offer.
Other places of interest in the area include Calasparra, visit the Sanctuario, a church carved out of the rock and also the old historical town of Caravaca de la Cruz.
A little further afield you will find the Spa resort of Archena and from here it is less than an hours drive to the better known coastal areas of the Costa Calida.

Ena and Phil

Links:
Camping La Puerta:
Broken Link Removed
Moratalla:
http://www.murciaturistica.es/en/moratalla/
Calasparra:
http://www.calasparralife.com/
Calasparra Sanctuario (Youtube video):

Caravaca de la Cruz:
http://www.murciaturistica.es/en/caravaca_de_la_cruz/
Archena Spa (Tripadviser Review):

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowUs...4085759-Balneario_De_Archena_S_a-Archena.html

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Many thanks, I am currently planning our next trip to Spain and looking for interesting places off the beaten track. We will spend some time at Aguilas to get a beach fix but Moratilla is only a little way inland from there and the area certainly looks attractive. The other places you mention will also go on my list!

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Totana is between Aguilas and Moratalla, with a slight detour on the motorway and the camperstop www.camperstopsierraespuna.blogspot.com is a quiet and tranquil place to visit, although if you are visiting in the hotter months Moratalla is cooler. There are so many good, undiscovered parts of Murcia to explore. Contact us for further info.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Reactions: DBK

cydersyd

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Jul 21, 2010
Sherborne, Dorset
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
12 years.
Many thanks, I am currently planning our next trip to Spain and looking for interesting places off the beaten track. We will spend some time at Aguilas to get a beach fix but Moratilla is only a little way inland from there and the area certainly looks attractive. The other places you mention will also go on my list!

Snap, I will be leaving on Saturday and it looks a brilliant place to visit.

Thanks Phil J.

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
Thanks for posting this Ena and Phil, and a great help with the links added. (y)
Janie and a couple of friends went out walking yesterday, I will pass this on to them as they head further south in February and are very keen walkers. (y)
Before any says ' why didn't you go with them '
;) I stayed behind with the only Sue and watched her drink my beer. ::bigsmile::rofl:. Bob.

MicknPat

Free Member
Dec 16, 2007
Touring UK
Funster No
MH
39ft American A class RV
Exp
Since Oct 2007
Wow, 120 square meter pitches may get our little bus on there?

May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
The campsite may be 'off the beaten track' but it's helpfully marked on the Google map!

OP
OP
Phil J.

Phil J.

Free Member
Dec 21, 2014
Clay Cross, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne 696
Exp
This is an offer available low and mid season, tents and caravans but would probably apply to motorhomes too.

Broken Link Removed

Last edited:

Geejay

Free Member
Dec 25, 2011
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
I put it on my list when planning this winter's trip. Offers available by phone only, it seems.

Geejay

Free Member
Dec 25, 2011
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
This is our fifth day at Camping La Puerta and it's certainly in a beautiful and spectacular area. However, at this time of year there are a few drawbacks. It's in a narrow valley and the site has lots of tall trees around the pitches so you don't get much sun. Fine for the summer I would think when shade is needed, but not really suitable for sitting out until the temperature rises, unless you keep moving your seat to a sunny patch.

Until Friday we were the only campers here, the restaurant and mini-supermarket were closed and there is no wifi until you get the log-in from the restaurant which opens on the Friday till Sunday. Friday/Saturday brought the local weekenders in to their permanent pitches.

It's about 5 miles from the town, an easy cycle, and there's a largish Dia on the outskirts, but unless you are into hiking or mountain biking there's not much to do. But if you like walking there are some fabulous trails and incredible scenery and it's a lot greener and less "industrial" than some parts of Murcia.

You'll need some Spanish or at least a phrase book, because the reception staff don't have a word of English (why should they?) And they don't seem to know anything about discounts. The facilities are fine and clean, hot showers and heated block, but all the hand basins are cold water only. There are dish washing facilities, but only one hot tap and a large commercial washing machine. The locals brought small buckets to fill from the hot before going into the washroom. I still haven't found the chemical toilet disposal point.

There are good facilities for children, including the usual swings etc, a small football pitch and tennis court, a climbing net, a menagerie - some hens and a large sow, a friendly squirrel and several cats and on the road alongside we met the mouflon - an invasive wild sheep, but a fine sight.

We like it and will probably come back.

Geejay

Free Member
Dec 25, 2011
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
Just a quick update. When we came to pay today we got a discount which worked out at 16€ per night including the dog which was extra.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back