Free Member
Feb 11, 2014
Lancashire Riviera
Funster No
MH
Looking for a new one
Exp
2013-2015
Can anyone recommend any conversion companies, to convert a van to my specification?

I'm contemplating selling my VW T5 in Summer and replacing it with a much bigger panel van. Probably a Mercedes Sprinter or VW Crafter. I want to supply the van though and get it converted.

Google isn't bringing up much for me. Apart from the usual mega bucks 'race van' conversions

Thanks

Simon :)

Apr 18, 2009
Englishman in Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584, A Class
Exp
Not long enough!
Pretty sure this very thing was bought up pretty recently, try a quick search(y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Brightspark

Free Member
Dec 27, 2010
Ashbourne, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
June 2010
There is an article in the Oct 2013 MMM about converting a vw crafter. Search 'pocket mags' as an app or website, search MMM and download the free sample October 2013 issue. It's not a full issue but has the article in it.

Hope this helps.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
most of the UK bespoke converters would do something for you I should think. Vantage, IH, and the like, a google search will help. As for value for money they wont get near a quality german van as they simply dont have the economies of scale...

Jan 8, 2014
Emsworth
Funster No
MH
Bailey 740
Exp
Terry might still have a conversion for sale

OP
OP
GreenHell

GreenHell

Free Member
Feb 11, 2014
Lancashire Riviera
Funster No
MH
Looking for a new one
Exp
2013-2015
You can do it yourself, buy all the parts from magnum motorhomes.

I was going to do that with my T5, but it was always one of those 'i'll start next weekend' jobs, and ended up having it converted for me. I'd love to use the same converter again but he will only do VW T4 and T5 models.

There is an article in the Oct 2013 MMM about converting a vw crafter. Search 'pocket mags' as an app or website, search MMM and download the free sample October 2013 issue. It's not a full issue but has the article in it.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for that. I'll have a look now (y)

most of the UK bespoke converters would do something for you I should think. Vantage, IH, and the like, a google search will help. As for value for money they wont get near a quality german van as they simply dont have the economies of scale...

There aren't many German panel van conversions out there though. Nothing that tickles my fancy anyway

Last edited:

Brightspark

Free Member
Dec 27, 2010
Ashbourne, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
June 2010
Sometime after the original article (oct2013) part 2 of the conversion appeared in a later addition. Either Nov or Dec 2013 or could of been early 2014. You will have to search in back issues of mmm.

Aug 7, 2007
Dundee
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 195
Exp
since 1975
Hi, we bought our Crafter from www.motorcraftconversion.co.uk based in Adwick le Street near Doncaster,they do high end quality conversion to virtually anything that you want !!! and very very good at it. See example on ebay item number 111562243628 , click on other items/shop to see several other conversions for sale.
The owner is Ian and is very helpful with a fab small team of craftsmen.
I am nothing but a very happy customer

OP
OP
GreenHell

GreenHell

Free Member
Feb 11, 2014
Lancashire Riviera
Funster No
MH
Looking for a new one
Exp
2013-2015
Hi, we bought our Crafter from www.motorcraftconversion.co.uk based in Adwick le Street near Doncaster,they do high end quality conversion to virtually anything that you want !!! and very very good at it. See example on ebay item number 111562243628 , click on other items/shop to see several other conversions for sale.
The owner is Ian and is very helpful with a fab small team of craftsmen.
I am nothing but a very happy customer

Thanks for that. Love the colour. I'll check them out (y)

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Terry might still have a conversion for sale
Yes we have -At the moment we still have the Transit (at a m/h dealers in Durham-paying when they sell) and Pauls Caddy that he says he wants to sell but he does not really -no advertising or anything so unless someone actually stops him and asks to buy it we have no chance of selling ;):D
link to the transit and caddy below you will have to look on my recent post /threads to find pics etc to Hollyberry@ and a Toyota van we have done in the last few mths
terry
HB's pics http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/happy-new-van-hollyberry.99209/page-2#post-1240450
http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/toyota-hi-ace-pics.96560/

http://terryshbautocampers.co.uk/

Last edited:

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
I have a resonable knowledge on panel vans..if you let us know what you want to achieve might be able to point you in the right direction. Please remember bespoke vans unless from a well known converter, with a good reputation, can be difficult to sell on......

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
I have a resonable knowledge on panel vans..if you let us know what you want to achieve might be able to point you in the right direction. Please remember bespoke vans unless from a well known converter, with a good reputation, can be difficult to sell on......
You are of course correct but most people who buy bespoke conversions hang onto there vans for a few yrs negating what they would loose on a run of the mill conversion -plus they save on the cost of the conversion from a small convertor to off set any losses ---A nicely converted van will always find a buyer at reasonable cost-As vans get older the names/convertors blend into the condition of the van
terry

Paddywack

Free Member
Oct 15, 2013
Neasham, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Hymer ExsisT588
-plus they save on the cost of the conversion from a small convertor to off set any losses ---

Not sure if this is true in all cases, some of the larger converters can get such a discount on a new van through volume, if, and I accept that this is a big if, they pass some of this on to the customer then the savings are not so large. We benefitted when buying our Moto-Trek as although as a company they were new to the MH market they had massive buying power with Peugeot through their horse boxes, ambulances and police vehicles. I couldn't have brought base vehicle with all the bells and whistles (climate / bluetooth etc) and the parts to do the conversion for a similar price.

OP
OP
GreenHell

GreenHell

Free Member
Feb 11, 2014
Lancashire Riviera
Funster No
MH
Looking for a new one
Exp
2013-2015
Thanks for your replies. If any of the mainstream brands ever decided to do a funky panel van conversion for a 30 year old, I might consider one.

After they've depreciated a bit.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
If you say what layout your hoping to achieve you may be surprised what's out there. UK market pretty limited.....

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
We are now converting vans to customers design/spec, close to finishing the first one (read about it in my blog on our website) and have another to do straight after so there will be a delay before I can take on another. At the moment I am working solo in the workshop again but looking for a mechanic to take on the day to day workshop duties, hopefully we can find someone quickly and get back to full strength. Feel free to call us during noermal working hours. Advert at top right of home page usually.

Whoever you do use do some thorough checks on their previous history, there are a few outfits around that build poor quality jobs at top dollar prices. Also make sure that whoever you use is fully insured, it would be awful to leave your van with someone to convert it and then lose it in say a fire and find their insurance doesn't cover your van.

D.

OP
OP
GreenHell

GreenHell

Free Member
Feb 11, 2014
Lancashire Riviera
Funster No
MH
Looking for a new one
Exp
2013-2015
We are now converting vans to customers design/spec, close to finishing the first one (read about it in my blog on our website) and have another to do straight after so there will be a delay before I can take on another. At the moment I am working solo in the workshop again but looking for a mechanic to take on the day to day workshop duties, hopefully we can find someone quickly and get back to full strength. Feel free to call us during noermal working hours. Advert at top right of home page usually.

Whoever you do use do some thorough checks on their previous history, there are a few outfits around that build poor quality jobs at top dollar prices. Also make sure that whoever you use is fully insured, it would be awful to leave your van with someone to convert it and then lose it in say a fire and find their insurance doesn't cover your van.

D.

Thanks for that.

I know all too well about shopping around. There are far too many cowboys around in the VW Camper world, so fortunately last time I managed to get a good one :)

OP
OP
GreenHell

GreenHell

Free Member
Feb 11, 2014
Lancashire Riviera
Funster No
MH
Looking for a new one
Exp
2013-2015
If you say what layout your hoping to achieve you may be surprised what's out there. UK market pretty limited.....

Either a fixed rear double bed or rear lounge/bedroom. Decent shower and washroom. Front dinette that converts into a single or double bed.

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back