Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Here at motorhome fun I’m sure that apart from just a couple of exceptions we all have at least three things in common. We're motorhome enthusiasts, we have Internet access and a sense of humor. :DHowever we know from just reading the forums that plenty of us share other interests.

The traditional way to accommodate interests outside of motorhomes is to add forum sections on those topics but that is not as good as having a dedicated interest group and we do lose Funsters to other places such as Facebook group chat etc..

To address this I hope to make it easier for you to share your other interests and hobbies with your Funster Friends. Subscribers will be able to form their own social group. They can if they wish make that group public or private and invite others to join. However you will need to provide good reasons for a group to be private. But if just a small group of you want to say plan an invite only rally then that is reason enough.

Once a group is established you can upload photos to the group and participate in group chat so you don’t miss anything that happens in your social group.

I have quickly set some groups up to give you an idea. A Benidorm Snowbird group, so that those that winter down there can join that group and you can plan activities and excursions etc.

Special interest groups, I’ve set up a Dieting, a Ukulele and a Homebrew group so you can see the diversity. Someone might want to set up an “Oxford” group for fans of that city. Or a Foodie group. The possibilities are endless.

No real rules, apart from the obvious. Normal forum rules will apply to all interactions within the groups. Social Groups should have a proper core topic and not be just a private chat room to discuss others or forum politics etc.

I’ve put off having groups like this before because the club has not been big enough, but as we get bigger I think the time is now right to experiment and give them a trial.

Give it a go and create a group or two. I’ll delete inactive groups or groups that I don’t feel are a benefit to Fun, but other than that, that’s it. Give them a go and let me know what you think

Click on “Groups” which is far right on the top blue menu bar (or in the drop down if your screen is small) I will transfer my ownership of those sample groups I’ve made to anyone who wants them.

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Looking at the diet group, as there has been a very good group on here for the 5/2 diet would that be transferred to here or would it stay as separate. Just wondering.
Think it's a good idea.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 8, 2011
God's county. Helmsley, North Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
IH Tio 630 RL
Exp
Since April 1846 but have always camped.
My initial thoughts are that it looks a bit messy. How do I get rid of the rally group and look at the headlines say in the U shaped lounge?
I did prefer it as it was, any chance of going back please?(y)(y)

OP
OP
Jim

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
My initial thoughts are that it looks a bit messy. How do I get rid of the rally group and look at the headlines say in the U shaped lounge?
I did prefer it as it was, any chance of going back please?(y)(y)

You've confused me.

May 8, 2011
Funster No
MH
IH Tio 630 RL
Exp
Hi Jim,Before today it listed latest posts. Now it lists rally's, motor home posts and U shaped lounge posts in 3 separate section. Am I looking at something different?

OP
OP
Jim

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
will cause divisions between menbers.
like "i would like to go to that rally"
you cant your not invited,so sod off.
I don't think so Chris. It won't be used to organise public rallies. Private rallies between a few Funster friends goes on all the time except because they don't want to go public on the forum with it they are forced to use skype or facebook to organise. I've no problem with that. Done it myself.

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
will cause divisions between menbers.
like "i would like to go to that rally"
you cant your not invited,so sod off.

Surely if it was an 'invite only' rally the Group would have been made private,so you wouldn't know about it.

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Help Jim, don't know what happened but a inbox thing came saying I have the diet group ownership. Have I clicked on something I did not mean to.

chrisgreen

Funster
Jul 26, 2009
england
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2004
so they would be more meets than rally's???
I don't think so Chris. It won't be used to organise public rallies. Private rallies between a few Funster friends goes on all the time except because they don't want to go public on the forum with it they are forced to use skype or facebook to organise. I've no problem with that. Done it myself.

Surely if it was an 'invite only' rally the Group would have been made private,so you wouldn't know about it.

May 8, 2011
Funster No
MH
IH Tio 630 RL
Exp
OP
OP
Jim

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
The Rally aspect will come into its own when Funsters are on a rally rather than organising it. Morrocco and a couple of Spanish rallies over the last couple of years I have had to manually add members to a specially created group then make them a private forum section so they can chat and arrange stuff. These groups will negate all that work and give them there own area, that aspect should work well.

OP
OP
Jim

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
so they would be more meets than rally's???

if someone wants to organise a private rally or meet so they don't have to invite you or me then I have no issue with that, such use will be rare but people do it anyway so I don't mind giving them the facility to do it here.

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
Help Jim, don't know what happened but a inbox thing came saying I have the diet group ownership. Have I clicked on something I did not mean to.

Ha ha,I thought about joining the ukulele group,but did wonder if the first 'joiner' would end up being the Owner :LOL:

OP
OP
Jim

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988

oops That was me, each group has a leader or two and I nominated you, go and have a look at your group and you will now see owner tools. You can hand it back to me if you like :)

OP
OP
Jim

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Ha ha,I thought about joining the ukulele group,but did wonder if the first 'joiner' would end up being the Owner

No the group creator is the owner, but they can hand the duty over to another member. :)

May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
I think private groups will be divisive, particularly if a group's posts are limited to group members. I would rather see all new posts in one place - I don't know what I might be interested in in the future.... some posts about things you don't know about can spark a new interest. I would be against private groups, and would find it irritating to have to ask if I could join (and be possibly/probably turned down). I thought a couple of times about suggesting to Oxford members a meet up in a local pub from time to time, but I wouldn't want it to be a private group. Anyone staying in/passing through the area might want to come and would be welcome.

OP
OP
Jim

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I think private groups will be divisive, particularly if a group's posts are limited to group members. I would rather see all new posts in one place - I don't know what I might be interested in in the future.... some posts about things you don't know about can spark a new interest. I would be against private groups, and would find it irritating to have to ask if I could join (and be possibly/probably turned down). I thought a couple of times about suggesting to Oxford members a meet up in a local pub from time to time, but I wouldn't want it to be a private group. Anyone staying in/passing through the area might want to come and would be welcome.

Private groups will be rare and need a valid reason to be private. So 99.9% of groups will be open with all members able to see everything going on within, no different to a regular forum, just more interesting.

OP
OP
Jim

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988

Open an Oxford group. upload a few photos. Maybe Publicise the group with a link in your signature, hopefully before long you'll have a nice little group of Funsters who live nearby or who love to visit, you'll then be able to shout out to arrange a visit to sites or restaurants etc. A proper social group, within Fun. What's divisive about that? Rather, it's what we're here for. (y)

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007

Hi Diet boss. Don't be too brutal with us and will you allow other diets in your group ?

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Like minded Funsters have often met up with each other all over the place ever since I have been on Fun.

These are not "meets" or "rallies" or "get togethers"... just friends keeping in touch without broadcasting it to the world!

They are arranged by texts and telephones without involving the forum.

It is much easier gossiping about people if they are not there... :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

JJ :cool:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I think private groups will be divisive, particularly if a group's posts are limited to group members..

I've just created Motorcycle Racing. Much interest in here yet many don't want to keep seeing it. Completely open, everyone welcome. I once asked for this on the dark side, the answer began with F, ended in F and had two words.

How fast can you create an Airshow Group. Instead of hunting for threads which vanish off the radar quickly any air minded people can home in on Airshows.

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
HAH! I, want to be the "owner" of the "Looting , Pillaging, and Wrecking Group please!

We already have a target in mind! Members will meet for the first in Southampton

Booty IS available!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back