when to fit fridge vent covers (1 Viewer)

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
a point has been raised on another thread, raised a query with me

are fridge vent covers purely a convenience to keep down draughts?

if not when should they be fitted?

is it purely a temperature thing? if so when should they be taken back off again?

hope they are not too critical, not sure where mine are :D

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
They are supposed to be fitted in low temperatures (only bottom one needed). We found that our Fridge /Freezer worked better with them off in low temperatures.
Suggest a bit of trial and error and take it from there. Don't buy new ones, Make some and hold on with a couple of bungi cords.

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
You can get corrugated plastic sheet cut to size for about £3.0. I got 4 for £5.00. ?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 20, 2009
Haute Vienne, France
Funster No
Just wondered why they are not supplied with van as standard if they are required below a certain temperature. Apologies if they are but not here in France.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Just wondered why they are not supplied with van as standard if they are required below a certain temperature. Apologies if they are but not here in France.

I guess because a some folks don't go away in winter so don't need them .. or at least don't go away in freezing weather..

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
I know the covers are supposed to prevent the fridge from over-cooling at low ambient temperatures, but we have never had covers and never noticed any excessive cooling during the winter. Having survived without covers for 8 years, I don't plan to buy a set any time soon.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
I know the covers are supposed to prevent the fridge from over-cooling at low ambient temperatures, but we have never had covers and never noticed any excessive cooling during the winter. Having survived without covers for 8 years, I don't plan to buy a set any time soon.

might be wrong here,

but I've always thought it was because the fridge uses a heat source to drive the cooling cycle.. ..

so, if the ambient is too cold, it stops working efficiently and the fridge interior can get warm..

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
That is the popular belief but apparently (I have not experienced this myself) some fridges struggle to cool because the heating elements or flame do not produce enough heat for the absorption process to function efficiently.

EDIT I see Jim was saying the same while I was typing :ROFLMAO:

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
I stand corrected. I have just checked the instructions and all it says is that the covers 'protect the fridge from excessively cold air'. I had assumed that meant it might get too cold inside.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
I stand corrected. I have just checked the instructions and all it says is that the covers 'protect the fridge from excessively cold air'. I had assumed that meant it might get too cold inside.
You are not being corrected, it is just a train of thought.
I believe Dave Newell once had a notice from Dometic about this with certain fridges.

As I said I personally have never encountered that.

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
I think ScotJimLand is closest - I recall being told that too. They aren't NECESSARY but are supposed to help, although I suspect not all setups are that critical.

They do help the drafts though - although if the fridge seals are fitted correctly that SHOULDN'T be necessary.

Aug 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
swift kontiki
Exp
I'm a newbie bought our first motorhome 7months ago and love it
We are in the Alps -15 last night the fridge is next to the sink and the pipes froze had to make some out of cardboard

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Tried using ours once as temps were below freezing all that happened was the fridge defrosted so haven't used them since works fine temps have been very low at night on this trip without problems.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Never used them in 10 years of Motorhoming with almost 6 as a fulltimer. been in -20c weather. Although my next fridge will be a compressor fridge...

Scattycat

Free Member
Jan 3, 2013
Mayenne, France
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
Since 2010
I think ScotJimLand is closest - I recall being told that too. They aren't NECESSARY but are supposed to help, although I suspect not all setups are that critical.

They do help the drafts though - although if the fridge seals are fitted correctly that SHOULDN'T be necessary.
If anybody is getting drafts from around the fridge area coming in via the vents then I suggest you get the vents sealed correctly otherwise you'll get vent fumes coming into the van . . . . .not a good idea

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
The vents are usually supplied as part of the vent kit that has to be bought separately @ around £40 for a pair which is necessarily on top of the cost of the fridge :eek: A bit like having to pay £300 for a cassette loo then another £45 ish for a loo door to empty the cassette :xdoh:you can use a placky bag and gaffer tape if the fridge is not working properly just make sure you don't tape the flue bit on the top rt side of the vent :xgrin:

David you can borrow mine if you cannot find yours if you think you will need them :xwink:
terry

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
How the hell do mice get through the mesh Roger?? o_O
lots have nylon mesh or none at all :xwink:plus the little blighters have Sharpe teeth :xgrin:They can be held by their tails and turn around and bite your hand/fingers -don't ask :xgrin:
terry

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
lots have nylon mesh or none at all :xwink:plus the little blighters have Sharpe teeth :xgrin:They can be held by their tails and turn around and bite your hand/fingers -don't ask :xgrin:
terry
We have an old Hymer with 16 inch wheels, and it's a long way from the deck to the vent, (about 30 inches). Arrow marks the vent.

hymer2.jpg

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Are you saying yours is too high for mice/rats to get up ?:xgrin:I would think that all vans are in the region of 20 to 30 ins high off the floor :xsmile:Still don't stop a 4 ins high mouse climbing up into vans from where ever they get in :xgrin:be it fridge vents,holes in floor or through engine bay :xwink:
terry

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
If anybody is getting drafts from around the fridge area coming in via the vents then I suggest you get the vents sealed correctly otherwise you'll get vent fumes coming into the van . . . . .not a good idea
Sorry but it's not the vents that need sealing it's the gap around the fridge into the hab area. Imagine the fridge in a sealed cabinet with a low and high vent to the rear and a mesh grill over a hole underneath it so the heavier than air raw gas can drop out in case of a leak.

Scattycat

Free Member
Jan 3, 2013
Mayenne, France
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
Since 2010
Sorry but it's not the vents that need sealing it's the gap around the fridge into the hab area. Imagine the fridge in a sealed cabinet with a low and high vent to the rear and a mesh grill over a hole underneath it so the heavier than air raw gas can drop out in case of a leak.

Doh!
Splitting hairs aren't we?
My point was that if drafts are coming from around the fridge / vents there is a chance of fumes entering the habitation area. Not a good idea.
But no matter, it's too small a point to bicker over and I can't type and drink at the same time and I'm trying to get on the outside of a nice bottle of Merlot.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back