Importing a Motorhome into Spain (2 Viewers)

hashers2

Free Member
Feb 28, 2014
southampton
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Not really a touring question and probably a wild shot but thought someone might be able to help. An exhaustive search of the internet has not provided a definitive answer.

We are moving to Spain and are looking to import and register our Motorhome in Spain. For all sorts of reasons it suits us better to keep our current Motorhome rather than buy a left hand drive in Spain.

I understand that importing RHD cars is possible although the Spanish authorities aren’t keen and tried to ban all imports of RHD vehicles in 1991 on safety grounds. They were subsequently over ruled by the European Courts following an objection by the Brits. I believe it is now possible to import a RHD vehicle if you are moving to Spain, but this option is not available to Spanish nationals.

We have heard that importing a RHD Motorhome is more difficult and that the Spanish will fail it at the ITV (MOT) on safety grounds as the habitation door opens out into traffic.
Does anyone have any experience of importing a Motorhome or know anyone who does or could point us to a definitive discussion on the topic.
All info would be gratefully received.

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
You will NOT get a right hand motorhome registered in Spain if it's a UK model with the caravan / hab door on the UK nearside... They just dont allow it. from what i have read in the past.
I have not done it but it's something I read about all the time while online over in Spain..
Cars are not so bad but commercial vehicles and motorhomes give a lot more problems..
AND be careful of "experts" who say they can do it and charge fee's. Seem's to be a popular scam over there..

You may have already done it but once you start web searching there is a lot of talk about it but seem's no one has done it.... The only possible way is if you bought a newsish (2007 onwards) van that has a Certificate of conformity issued, LHD and hab door on the correct side.. Re-register will still be expensive but may be cheaper than buying in Spain...

Last edited:
Jun 23, 2011
Pedreguer, Spain
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2011
I think it depends on which part of Spain you try to import it into - every region has its own rules.
I was unable to import our British caravan in 2005 (in the Communidad Valenciana) because it didn't have a European Homologation Number, this applies even if it is just a small trailer - or even a tow bar - no EU homologation number, no ITV. No ITV, no import licence.
I very much doubt that your RHD van would have one, as they are expensive for the manufacturers to obtain, and only worth getting if they intend to sell a lot in Europe - which, being RHD, they couldn't!
Other parts of Spain ( I think Murcia in particular) have less stringent rules, so hopefully someone from another part of Spain will chip in with more info.
Good luck!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Portland

Free Member
Oct 31, 2013
Conwy
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
20 years
You might stand a chance if your van is an European make converted to R/H/D as the habitation door is usually on the correct side for the continent. Perhaps you could log on to an ex pats forum in spain to see if anyone could help with this. Best of luck.

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
@gus-lopez knows a lot about this sort of thing in Spain. No doubt he will be along later with a response.

OP
OP
H

hashers2

Free Member
Feb 28, 2014
southampton
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Hi
Thanks for the prompt replies. A bit of wishful thinking on our part I think. There are lots of threads on the internet but as stated above no-one who has actually tried it. It's a very expensive process to test. Our next step was to ask a Gestor but again they charge just to enquire. I suppose the obvious answer is that we have not seen a single RHD motorhome on Spanish plates and we have been looking. Still it was worth asking.

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Why not keep it registered and insured at a family address in UK.... ??
Many seem to do that, sold my previous van to a guy near Valencia.
I delivered it to his daughters place and he planned to use that address but lived full time in Spain.
I guess a lot depends on if your going to be residents....

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Left hand side hab doors banned.

Beats me why, when did you last see a Spanish vehicle with doors on the right side only.

Spaniards making and choosing which laws they want and ignoring the rest.

OP
OP
H

hashers2

Free Member
Feb 28, 2014
southampton
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Why not keep it registered and insured at a family address in UK.... ??
Many seem to do that, sold my previous van to a guy near Valencia.
I delivered it to his daughters place and he planned to use that address but lived full time in Spain.
I guess a lot depends on if your going to be residents....

Yes we have thought of this but been told it's dodgy. If you are resident you cannot use a vehicle registered in another country. If you are non resident you can use a foreign registered vehicle for 6 months only in any one year. The obvious question is how do they know? - but the fine if you do get caught is high.

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Yes we have thought of this but been told it's dodgy. If you are resident you cannot use a vehicle registered in another country. If you are non resident you can use a foreign registered vehicle for 6 months only in any one year. The obvious question is how do they know? - but the fine if you do get caught is high.
I don't know all the details and reasons you want to keep your MoHo instead of buying a Spanish registered one but from what I have read and spoken about with Spanish family it isn't likely to happen. :(

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back