Hymer 240v electrics not working. (1 Viewer)

MrsBB

Free Member
Jun 14, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer a class
Exp
10 years after many years tugging
Kept van on electric hook up on drive on very low . Brilliant idea coz had to sleep in it boxing day night due to family not being able to get home in snow! Somehow electrics have kicked out and it's automatically turned to gas ( we set it to that stupidly!) emptied gas bottles and defrosted fridge.

Checked box ..... Rcd .....in wardrobe ..... Ok . Checked external lead supply ...... Ok . Checked fuses in locker and under drivers seat...... None seem blown .

Any ideas what else to check or where else to look?

Thanks

Feb 8, 2014
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Eldis Majestic 115
Exp
Vans and tugs since mid 70's
what appliance ran on gas to empty your bottles?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
MrsBB

MrsBB

Free Member
Jun 14, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer a class
Exp
what appliance ran on gas to empty your bottles?
Turned fridge freezer to gas coz set on automatic.....I had been using freezer as extra storage space over Christmas. ...... Yes I know....... Stupid woman !!!!!

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
I am not familiar with Hymers but both the German build vans we owned had fuses AND trips !
The trips were hidden away in the Hobby.. When one tripped out I could not figure it to start with.. Was not until I started following the mains lead in from the EHU socket I found the darned things !
So have a look where your EHU goes to and follow the wire as best you can.. you never know !

OP
OP
MrsBB

MrsBB

Free Member
Jun 14, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer a class
Exp
Eureka!!!! Trip switch by ehu inlet . Shame no mention in the very thick handbook!

Thank you so much, JAWS....... You've sussed it . That's what I love about Motorhome fun ...... Always someone willing to help !

Last edited:
OP
OP
MrsBB

MrsBB

Free Member
Jun 14, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer a class
Exp
none of the electrics .... Sockets , fridge etc none were working in van . I'd tried running ehu from two different sockets in house as a process of elimination. Thankfully there is an ehu inlet trip switch as jaws thought and it was that!
I am not sure I understand, are you saying that all the electrics work fine except the fridge?

OP
OP
MrsBB

MrsBB

Free Member
Jun 14, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer a class
Exp
Are the mains plugs working within the van?
thanks for trying to help ..... Need to explain myself better in future . Always panic a bit when things don't work on the van ......
All sorted now..... Relief!!!

OP
OP
MrsBB

MrsBB

Free Member
Jun 14, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer a class
Exp
I am not familiar with Hymers but both the German build vans we owned had fuses AND trips !
The trips were hidden away in the Hobby.. When one tripped out I could not figure it to start with.. Was not until I started following the mains lead in from the EHU socket I found the darned things !
So have a look where your EHU goes to and follow the wire as best you can.. you never know !

Other hymer owners could be grateful for this knowledge particularly if new to German Motorhomes ! Thanks again

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Just glad to be able to be of some assistance mate :xThumb:

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
Have you any idea why the protection switch tripped? If not, I think I would want to find out before plugging in again.

I would be interested to know which model / year your Hymer is. Mine is a 2003 B630 and the incoming mains trip switch is located in the bottom of the wardrobe (it's a fairly chunky white box with a twin-ganged switch near the top). This is described in the manual. I am not aware of any other trip switch near the EHU point but would be grateful for more info in case there is one I haven't found.

Last edited:
OP
OP
MrsBB

MrsBB

Free Member
Jun 14, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer a class
Exp
Have you any idea why the protection switch tripped? If not, I think I would want to find out before plugging in again.

I would be interested to know which model / year your Hymer is. Mine is a 2003 B630 and the incoming mains trip switch is located in the bottom of the wardrobe (it's a fairly chunky white box with a twin-ganged switch near the top). This is described in the manual. I am not aware of any other trip switch near the EHU point but would be grateful for more info in case there is one I haven't found.
Ours is a 830s ....2010. It has the chunky white box in wardrobe but it is not like the one in the manual which has a reset button on it.
The fuse had gone in the plug in the house which was the root cause of problem . Pleased to report that van is back up to temperature without problems albeit only since yesterday. Fingers crossed !

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Ours is a 830s ....2010. It has the chunky white box in wardrobe but it is not like the one in the manual which has a reset button on it.
The fuse had gone in the plug in the house which was the root cause of problem . Pleased to report that van is back up to temperature without problems albeit only since yesterday. Fingers crossed !

Glad to hear all is or appears to be OK and working, I missed the thread yesterday.

As we have very similar MH's can I just confirm that you found a fuse gone in the domestic adaptor bit, when I first read your reply it sounded like it was something in MH

I agree with you about manual though, very thick and always seems to be referring to things not fitted in ours :)

edit - out of interest do you have an RCD, we dont

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Glad to hear all is or appears to be OK and working, I missed the thread yesterday.

As we have very similar MH's can I just confirm that you found a fuse gone in the domestic adaptor bit, when I first read your reply it sounded like it was something in MH

I agree with you about manual though, very thick and always seems to be referring to things not fitted in ours :)

edit - out of interest do you have an RCD, we dont

My 2005 B584 has two MCBs: one in the incoming live and the other in the incoming neutral. They are in a white box under the base of the wardrobe on the RH side. There is no RCB - the back of the mains inlet and the cable from it to the white box are visible when the base of the wardrobe is opened.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back