Free Member
Nov 9, 2014
Leicester
Funster No
MH
Fiat CI Carioca
Exp
None
Just been out to check on van and noticed distortion on bathroom wall?? On further investigation all the back wall of van seems spongy.
Really gutted to see this and now need advice as to what we need to do next?
I fitted the cover onto the MH last Wednesday so its covered. Also got a fan heater on the go inside.

We were planning on our first proper trip in the MH in February but at the minute just worried as to what to do next? I suspect this has been a problem from before we bought the van and further indication that we should have sought some better advice from people in the know. ie some one with a damp meter.

Any advice would be great

Cheers in advance
Rob

Dec 4, 2014
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Been around the block a few timesšŸ˜‰
Could you put a dehumidifier in the mh to draw some of damp out ?

Upvote 0

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
Sorry to read this Rob and hope that it all ends well.

There was a thread recently about damp meters and this one appeared to be the business and have been recommended.
Broken Link Removed

But there are loads of cheaper ones on Ebay.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
We probably need a bit more information..

How long have you had it? Did you buy it from a dealer?

Being a bathroom wall it is quite possible the moisture is from the inside and possibly even condensation but what's the construction? Are there obvious places that could be leaking? Have you found a leak?

How long has it been parked up and was it left dry and empty before you covered it?
What sort of cover is it? Some reduce condensation but some will only help prevent it if the van was warm and dry when it was covered

There will be a remedy and it will be possible to repair the damage but depending on the above and more questions it may be a long job or a simple one.

Upvote 0

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
not sure how long ago you bought it, if from a dealer maybe they will sort it if private did you pay any part of it via creditcard? What is the age/model of motorhome

Upvote 0
Dec 4, 2012
leicester
Funster No
MH
swift kontiki and vw cam
Exp
15yrs
Oh dear Rob really feel for you. You must be absolutely devastated. Have you not had the van long then. Surely if its that bad the previous owners must have had some indication that things were not as they should be. You don't say how old the van is or if it was a private sale or dealer. Maybe someone with some legal knowledge will be along soon with some advice. Good luck

Upvote 0
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
We need a lot more info as to how long have you had it , have you been out in it , is there a window or any other way of water ingress preferably photos , sounds bad as you describe it but might not be the end of the world(y)

Upvote 0

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
I know this considered boring, but when ones looking at all these impressive looking shiny boxes on wheels...but anyone buying a van that does not get a professional damp check and weighs the bloody thing to see if it's a practical proposition, need their heads examining!

Also one thing having a proper meter, quite another having the skills to use it, being able to identify ares of concern and make a judgement. So what if a survey costs a few pounds..better loose a few quid then buy a lemon!

Upvote 0

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
I know this considered boring, but when ones looking at all these impressive looking shiny boxes on wheels...but anyone buying a van that does not get a professional damp check and weighs the bloody thing to see if it's a practical proposition, need their heads examining!

Also one thing having a proper meter, quite another having the skills to use it, being able to identify ares of concern and make a judgement. So what if a survey costs a few pounds..better loose a few quid then buy a lemon!
Mmmmm, your all heart aren't you.

Upvote 0
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
No evidence it is a lemon yet might be condensation or a leaking shower or any of a number of things

Upvote 0
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Also might as well save your money on the fan heater, if the damp is behind the wall panel it isn't going to make one iota of difference

Upvote 0

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
My post was a generalisation not aimed at OP at all. You see it at shows all the time, people impressed by cheap flash, taken at face value, never asking about what's under the skin. The UK motorhome industry plays on nievity....and it really don't have to try hard at all!

Upvote 0

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi Rob if the wall is spongy then I suspect you have a bad damp problem that may well have been present when you recently bought the van -it could well be the reason why it got sold - if it's bad then the only sure way is to take apart and renew any damp/wet timber -hope it's not but the way you describe it :xdoh:More info and pics if poss
terry

Upvote 0
OP
OP
R

Rob

Free Member
Nov 9, 2014
Leicester
Funster No
MH
Fiat CI Carioca
Exp
None
The van is a Carioca CI on a fiat Ducato base
Its 2004 reg
We have had the van for about3 months and have only had one night away in it.
It was a private purchase and i viewed it a couple of times and also took it for test drive. All seemed ok and there were no signs of leakage anywhere or smell of damp. There is a bathroom window which seems ok. Looking on the roof there does look as though there has been some sealer put on around the trim but does look ok .
Unfortunately judgemental we are not all as bright as you obviously are and i was not aware at the time of damp meters or professionals offering the service. Do me a favour and dont bother replying to the thread if you have nothing constructive to say! I feel bad enough as it is without reading smug comments when im asking for a bit of help.
Cheers everybody else for the advice so far
Rob

Upvote 0

johnpengers

Free Member
Nov 7, 2009
Somerset.
Funster No
MH
Concorde Liner
Exp
since 2005
Firstly. sorry to hear about your problem,

Secondly. I would seek professional help, ie, a dealer with a good reputation near to you.

The sooner its investigated then you know what you're up against.

Hopefully not too serious

but in my opinion time is of the essence.

Regards

John P

Upvote 0

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Unfortunately judgemental we are not all as bright as you obviously are and i was not aware at the time of damp meters or professionals offering the service. Do me a favour and dont bother replying to the thread if you have nothing constructive to say! I feel bad enough as it is without reading smug comments when im asking for a bit of help.
Cheers everybody else for the advice so far
Rob
Well said Rob and good luck, there is a mass of information on here and some very helpful people.
We now know the year and model so pictures next when you feel up to it.

Upvote 0

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi Rob I don't think you will have any comeback seeing it's a private purchase --that's not much help but saves you getting hopes up - pics is the way forward now because without seeing it,it is hard to judge the best way forward --is it spongy high up or low down ?low could mean damp coming up from below -high indicates a leak high up --you say bathroom wall it could be from using the shower and the boards not water proof --I know you have only used it once so I fear the seller knew about it -cleaned it all up and got rid but at the same time they could just as easy not known anything
terry

Upvote 0

Swiftroy1

Free Member
Jan 3, 2010
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2004
Having had this worry myself, I would say that there's no need to panic. The 'van's not going to suddenly fall to bits. Even if the readings are showing damp ingress, then it's not a difficult process to work out what needs to be done to put it right. Of course, if you don't have the time or the skills yourself, it's still likely to be cost-effective to get it sorted. There are several websites showing how to do every stage of the remedial work.

Best wishes. Roy

Upvote 0

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
From what I do know from when caravan users is you really need to stop any more ingress so if I were you I would dig out the repair you can see and do it again. Inside I fear the lining may need to come out so that you can see what needs doing behind it. Sorry to hear of your problem it's a bummer.

Reactions: LAM
Upvote 0
Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Rob, I think you do have some rights/protection even though you bought from a private seller.
Did they tell you about the problem! Did they tell you everything was OK and no damp issues!
Anyway, get some professional advice on cause, it may have been there for a long time (if so get that in writting and approch the seller and see if he is prepared to do anything). I would also consider talking to Citizens Advice if it turns out to be a long term problem and expensive to repair. The days are gone when you could sell a lemon and expect to get away with it.
Best of luck.

Upvote 0
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Posters on here tend to freak out at the mention of damp, but if you got your van at the right price there's no need to go into meltdown over it, try and get one of the panels off and have a look at what it is, with an 04 you have got to expect something not right, and if as you say there is evidence of repair , it's maybe been done and just wants time to dry out , but it won't with the panels still on.

Upvote 0

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
This comes from the Trading Standards website for Brighton, which isn't relevant as I guess their understanding of the law is correct so it applies anywhere in the UK.

Private sales
When you buy a used vehicle from a private individual, you don't have the same rights as you do when buying from a trader. The legal principle of caveat emptor, or 'buyer beware' operates. You do not have a legal right to expect that the vehicle is of satisfactory quality or fit for its purpose, but there is a legal requirement that it should be 'as described'. For example, if an advertisement says 'low mileage, one previous owner', it must be correct. You should check the vehicle thoroughly before you buy it.
Whether you buy privately or from trader, you are entitled to expect that the vehicle is roadworthy, unless you and the seller clearly agree it is bought for scrap or for spares and repair. You should be aware that a vehicle sold with an MOT certificate does not guarantee that it is currently roadworthy, only that at the time it was tested it met the required safety standards needed to gain the MOT certificate.
You are entitled to expect that the seller has 'good title' to the vehicle. This means the person selling the vehicle must own it. If you buy a vehicle that you later find out is stolen, you do not have the legal right to keep it. You may have to give it back and you will have to try and get your money back from the seller.
The Consumer Credit Act 1974 gives 'good title' to the first private purchaser of a vehicle that later turns out to be subject to a claim by a finance provider. This means that if the previous owner sold the vehicle to you when there was finance outstanding and you were unaware of this, the finance provider cannot repossess the vehicle from you. Remember, this does not apply to vehicles that have been stolen, or vehicles that were subject to a lease or hire agreement.
You should be aware that some traders pretend to be private sellers - by selling vehicles at the roadside or via an advertisement - to avoid their legal obligations to consumers. If you come across a situation like this, contact Citizens Advice consumer service for your case to be referred to trading standards.

Of course the OP can check this with his local Citizens Advice or Trading Standards to see if they agree but it does say what I had always understood to be true. If the private seller described it as having no damp problems or even "no major faults" the OP might have cause for comeback but they may and probably would argue that there was nothing visible when it was sold and the fault had developed since sale - which would be a hard one to argue against unless it could be shown the seller should have been reasonably expected to known about what might have been a hidden damp problem.

Upvote 0

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
As has been said, it's got to be opened up. If it's a wooden wall and spongy a pen knife and fingers will open it up.

Again, as has been said you cannot cure it just with heat or dehumidifier, the water seeps in easily, it does not seep out easily. I had some damp, I stripped out the soft timber and had warm air blowing on the area for a month before I could work on it.

Top edge seals are notorious for leaking but not rocket science to make good.

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
No matter were the delamination it's going to be a major repair job.
To do the job right will probably mean furniture removal from the rear wall and shower cubicle walls and tray if that wall is affected.
Then the internal wall boards need to come out to see the extent of delamination and rot in the wooden frame.

Major repair job and one i wouldn't consider doing without knowledge of the procedure.

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
it's maybe been done and just wants time to dry out
If it has been repaired properly there will be no sign of delamination and the wall certainly won't be spongy.
The inner skin is bonded to the foam core and wooden frame battons so cant move.
Delamination occurs when the bond has failed.

Upvote 0

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
sorry if i appeared unsympathetic but it was a warning to others not you. tea and sympathy all very well but don't get you anywhere does it!

rear window always a possible culprit (if you have one) as road water gets sucked up underneath and sprays up back wall (why RV's tend to have a skirt) removing and resealing after allowing to dry out a DIY job.

the roof seal sound suspicious though! examine underneath the rear as well..water can travel up as well as down. Really need to get it under cover and do some stripping out and allow it to dry out if not to severe...Yep I know, easier said then done.....

If it looks like its beyond your capabilities there are good repairers out there and not all rip off merchants. Depending on how things develop ask again on here. At the end of the day its repairable, its only going to cost money, so not the end of the world...but get it under cover PDQ!

Upvote 0

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Well you learn something new every day ! I thought those skirts were to stop water being sprayed onto passing and rear travelling vehicles.

Indeed....... RV owners soooooo considerate:D

all I know is when we had a CoachBuilt, the back wall used to be far dirtier after a long winter run then rest of van....

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back