food and water on a 2 week wild camping advenure (1 Viewer)

R

rainbowgirl

Deleted User
hi there

can you help me please
where do i get water from to fill up my tank for drinking/washing water when im wild camping?

and any ideas for cheap easy but healthy meals to cook in a campervan - im lacking in any imagination - well bar beans on toast lol!

really appreicate your help and ideas
as i used to go do all this with my ex hubbie and pretty much left all thepractical stuff to him YES and even the meal ideas/cooking and it was along time ago and i cant remember what we ate! :Blush:
x

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Getting water isn't too difficult provided you have the kit to collect it ..

A short filling hose and a container are useful for collecting from public toilets, a longer hose and you can collect from most garages , especially if you buy a few litres of fuel.
Fench aires have taps, some require paying, usually €1 ..

Cemeteries ( not joking) most have taps at the entrance..

So, be prepared, 20mt flat hose, various sized tap connectors, container and short filling hose with push on connector.. A plastic watering can is also useful.. and for disinfecting dodgy taps.. a spray bottle with dilute bleach .. :thumb:

Often it's not water that's the problem but dumping the toilet, so.. dump at every available opportunity.. use aires and public toilets.. but never in a manhole or storm drain.

Upvote 0

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
Some thoughts

It all depends where you re going 'wild camping'. On the continent - no problem. Go to Aires de Service (France) Stellplatz (Germany) or Sostas (Italy). Most of these allow free or very cheap overnight parking and provide fresh water and somewhere to dump waste. Get copies of books such as 'Camperstop Europe', 'Guide Officiel Aires de Service - Camping Cars' etc. Available from Vicarious Books (and others) Motorhome &amp caravan books, guides and maps, Go Motorhoming Europe, All the Aires, Camperstop Europe, France Passion, campsite guides, full-timing the facts, Aires and stopovers guides

In the UK it's not quite so easy. As an example, last June on Mull we used a tap outside the general purpose building (ferry office / cafe / toilet block) at Fionnphort (opposite Iona). Also we found a tap sticking out of the wall high up on an artists studio in Tobermory. We were chatting to him and it transpired there used to be a travelling dentists surgery that called there years ago and that's why the tap was fitted. So, the idea is that you have to be prepared to chat to people. They can only say no. Try places like private garages, public loo blocks (often have taps outside).

Toilet waste can be emptied in public loos provided you use green chemicals - a lot of wild locations are on septic tank drainage so blue chemicals are not to be used. Choose a time when it is quiet and preferably find a remote loo. You will not be popular trying to 'dump' if there are other people about.

Dumping 'grey' waste (washing water) can be more problematic. Some farmers / market gardeners etc. are quite happy to let you dump grey waste on land - plants apparently thrive on it. If all else fails, we tend to find a large drain in a lay-by where there is a good, piped soak-away. This may be frowned on by many, but I cannot see that a bit of soap, detergent and dirty water is any worse than the wash-off from road traffic.

Finally, the Camping and Caravanning Club allows a motorhome service stop where you can do everything but at £5.80 I think it is ridiculously expensive.

Regarding food, I'll leave that to someone else, other than to say, we often prepare casseroles at home then put them in snap-lock plastic tubs and keep them in the fridge. All that is required then is a quick re-heat in a pan. Serve with Cous Cous that only needs a drop of hot water from the kettle and a knob of butter to prepare.

Good luck.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
:ROFLMAO: All the water & disposal bits have been covered so here goes on the foody bit :ROFLMAO:
Tinned stew meat is cheap and if you add lots of onion,salt and pepper,wine :thumb: to taste can be used for all sorts of pies,stews and casseroles.
bacon sausages burgers etc, all make good easy meals
:ROFLMAO: short of supplying a cook book we make everything in the van just as we do at home :ROFLMAO:
yorkshire pudd mix - 30p stuff-add milk instead of water and 2 eggs not 1 :thumb:
terry

Upvote 0

viks10

Free Member
Jan 6, 2009
Funster No
Hello
We always live off risotto, you can make a basic one with some stock, garlic and onions then add in anything you have got lying around. We find dried mushrooms great 'cos they keep in the van for ages, chicken is a favourite, spinach & prawns, anything you like. Its also a 1 pot meal so less dishes and if you are tight for space. Have it with bread and or salad = perfect! Also try and pick up a '1 pot' recipe book or print off some ideas for the net - great for campers. Another favourite in our house is homemade soup - lentil is perfect 'cos they keep in the van aswell. Lentil Soup and bread fills you for the night - only problem if you driving the next day in a confined space you may need to ventilate due to the lentils!

I hope this has helped

Viks

Upvote 0

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
even with only one ring you can still have a decent meal using a steamer or pressure cooker fry chips in a pan and warm pies on a plate with saucepan lid on top then placed on the top of the frying pan or saucepan.Spagetti and grated or melted cheese is easy, hot and filling. Sausage and beans plus a few saltanas and curry powder make a quick meal. But personally I eat the same as at home with plenty of veg. Stews, casseroles whatever takes your fancy.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
I eat the same as at home with plenty of veg. Stews, casseroles whatever takes your fancy.

Exactly.. no need to go 'cowboy' just because your in a van..

I love cooking and it's a great way to pass the time on a cold / wet day.. shopping for fresh veg, meat etc then cooking yourself .. mmm

Hot days we tend to have fresh bread and salad, cheese, pasta, rice etc .. and of course don't forget the BBQ.. and I don't mean a few cheap sausages thrown on and left to go black.. can't beat a meal cooked on hot coals .. corn on the cob, bananas cooked till they burst open and served with ice cream, vegetable kebabs , home made burgers, chicken, roast tatties... in fact just about anything .. so long as it's fresh and not come from an assembly line.. I hate factory food.. yuck

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
hi there

and any ideas for cheap easy but healthy meals to cook in a campervan - im lacking in any imagination - well bar beans on toast lol!

even with only one ring you can still have a decent meal using a steamer or pressure cooker fry chips in a pan and warm pies on a plate with saucepan lid on top then placed on the top of the frying pan or saucepan.Spagetti and grated or melted cheese is easy, hot and filling. Sausage and beans plus a few saltanas and curry powder make a quick meal. But personally I eat the same as at home with plenty of veg. Stews, casseroles whatever takes your fancy.

while i love all the grub you mentioned roger i think you miss-read the question.:Doh::ROFLMAO:

Upvote 0

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
while i love all the grub you mentioned roger i think you miss-read the question.:Doh::ROFLMAO:

ALL DEPENDS on your ideas of healthy meals :ROFLMAO:
you can always try lettuce leaves - raw, boiled, fried, oven, baked,or grilled :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
terry

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back