LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Everyone all standing getting soaked waiting on taxis etc after the street party. We only had to walk around the corner and we were home back in the MH. Earlier we couldnt find somewhere to park so we stopped in tbe church grounds and mum called the minister to ask for permission, turns out the church closed down 6 month ago. What a result :)
Anyone else wild camped in similar or unusual places?

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
Hi Sandra, Happy New Year to you and your Mum. We're sitting in the van at Littlehampton, the tv is pretty bad, but we recorded Only An Excuse earlier, so will watch that later:xThumb:
It's years since we've been to Oban, but glad you found somewhere "safe" to stay........we're currently looking for a CL near my parents before we start heading north again.

Have a good one:xThumb:

Sep 5, 2012
Scotland
Funster No
MH
East Neuk Fifer
Exp
since 2012
Everyone all standing getting soaked waiting on taxis etc after the street party. We only had to walk around the corner and we were home back in the MH. Earlier we couldnt find somewhere to park so we stopped in tbe church grounds and mum called the minister to ask for permission, turns out the church closed down 6 month ago. What a result :)
Anyone else wild camped in similar or unusual places?
Hope you enjoyed the night and Happy New Year to you and your mum. :xThumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 5, 2012
Scotland
Funster No
MH
East Neuk Fifer
Exp
since 2012
Yes thx. Same to you. There was no ceilidh dancing and no fireworks but the ships in the harbour let some off.

Shame about the ceilidh dancing you were looking forward to it, at least you were out and about.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Had to put ceilidh dancing in to you tube to see it,,,,
Some way in, the idiot sceptic who had posted it commented that some of the steps are copied from Yank Square dancing !!
Honestly, some folk really are total bell ends !
It gets worse.. I looked at a couple of others and similar comments were made too.
What is it with yanks and their belief they actually have their own history rather than a mishmass of every one elses !! LOL !!

Anyways.. Happy new year to one and all and LOVE the church yard thing.. perhaps worth trying in other locations :xThumb::D:D

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
Looks interesting!! Might take this up myself!!:xThumb::xThumb:

dance.jpg

OP
OP
irnbru

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Ceilidh dancing is great fun and a fab way of losing calories. Maybe someo.e should organise a ceilidh dance meet in the summer.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Some way in, the idiot sceptic who had posted it commented that some of the steps are copied from Yank Square dancing !!
Honestly, some folk really are total bell ends !
It gets worse.. I looked at a couple of others and similar comments were made too.
What is it with yanks and their belief they actually have their own history rather than a mishmass of every one elses !

This got me thinking, but it seems the term ceilidh historically meant just a social gathering featuring stories, poetry and song. Dancing seems to be a fairly modern as in post 1900 addition. This is not to say the dances themselves are not older, only that American square dance gatherings probably pre-date ceilidhean.

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
I could host such a meet and probably even find a local band but would people really travel south for it though must admit to only knowing Irish jigs reels and hornpipes, dances etc. The walls of Limerick, Bridge of Athlone, Siege of Enis etc.

OP
OP
irnbru

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
I could host such a meet and probably even find a local band but would people really travel south for it though must admit to only knowing Irish jigs reels and hornpipes, dances etc. The walls of Limerick, Bridge of Athlone, Siege of Enis etc.
Why not do a poll or a suggested meet. Put me down as no 1

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
I have the venue and marquee, need to check oot the band. BUT I am no allowed ta run a rally (Jim's rules)would need a marshal to take over those duties

OP
OP
irnbru

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
I wouldnt have a clue or I would volunteer. Please can you make it Sept as we will be hopefully making our way south by then to eventually head over the channel for the first time.:)

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
This got me thinking, but it seems the term ceilidh historically meant just a social gathering featuring stories, poetry and song. Dancing seems to be a fairly modern as in post 1900 addition. This is not to say the dances themselves are not older, only that American square dance gatherings probably pre-date ceilidhean.
North of the M 8, I would think it still does mean a social gathering. Whether or not dancing would take place may well have depended on the church you belonged to!

(EDIT: because without the space between M & 8, it becomes 'mate' rather than a motorway)

A lot of the Scottish & Irish dances were heavily influenced by the French dancing masters. They weren't as welcome in England though, so even today, English dances tend to be different.

Further south, the difference between a ceilidh & a barn dance gets a bit more blurred. A barn dance is likely to be nothing but dancing & very often with some American square dance influence. A barn dance band will often only play for the dances, while I would expect a ceilidh band to play between the dances as well, so you might get songs mixed in too.

In a modern setting, the dances at an English ceilidh are likely to be simpler & will often be 'called' throughout. That's because an English audience will have a much higher percentage of beginners than either a Scottish or Irish audience.

It's one of the most enjoyable ways of getting some exercise while keeping your clothes on. Many of the dances involve you moving from partner to partner, which of course sometimes leads to the sort of exercise where you take your clothes off. That's one of the reasons that the various churches were not always keen on dancing. (n)

In the bands I call for, we tend to mix the traditions up a bit, doing English dances to Irish & some Scottish tunes. That way you get the more lively tunes but with dances that beginners can still cope with.

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
Ralph and I have never danced any ceilidh before.
Talk about laugh and get absolutely knackered in the process.
It's a good job other locals In Moffat , were not too over serious about it. Ralph gave up after 3 dances I managed another 2 but , heck, it's not as easy as it looks. But very good fun. The lady playing the fiddle tried her hardest to give instructions..... I thought it would be relatively easy. It wasn't. As they only did each dance once , you just got the hang of it and then they went onto another.
We were told most learn the dances at school, that it's just something everyone knows. But it was nice the way everyone enjoyed us trying to have a go. I'm glad I took my heels off.
Talk about spinny , some of the men you got with really went for it.

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
Jeez.............what has that woman done to her hair.................it's so seventies Holmes!:D
Judging at the way the blokes velvet cod piece( what's that all about??) is boinging up, I think they are mid skip down the middle if the two rows . We did this one. It was by far the easiest !

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
Yes that's true. Glad you participated and enjoyed it. If you are ever in Glasgow try the ceilidh at Sloans on a Fri night.
@Ralph-n-Bev Or for something a bit nearer, a friend of mine runs one in Lincoln on the first Friday of every month.

Except this month, when for some reason it's tonight instead of tomorrow night.

His publicity blurb says 'A friendly regular dance event with live music and caller. Suitable for all ages and abilities.' It won't have quite the atmosphere of a NYE ceilidh in Moffat, but it will be fun & you'll know what to do next year!

It's still a fair step from Wakefield, but let me know if you are ever going to be Lincoln way & I'll send you the details.

I'm glad you had fun. Talk about jumping in at the deep end! There is nothing ever quite like the first ceilidh you ever do. (y)

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
Someone told me that is what goes on in the Funsters marquee at rallies??????
This is true. We all play 'Pass the Sausage', an interesting game involving fried food and sex. :xThumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back