currency abroad (1 Viewer)

Sep 20, 2014
Luton
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
8 years
Could do with some help as to best way to handle currency whilst on trip thru (France on to Spain for January ,February , and March ) with out incurring lots of charges

Regards
Gordon

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Get a pre loaded euro card, lots of them , some funsters have their own favourites, but we have Mytravelcash, not the best conversion rates but there are no costs and you get 1% back on purchases

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
A good start would be to put CaxtonFX into our search engine, or maybe just Caxton. That will give you masses of leads.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
Pre loaded euro card is best, too many people carry large amounts of cash ( and on one bundle! ) and the "bad men" out there know this. Take enough cash to see you through a week or so and use the card for the rest. Less to worry about. Enjoy your break.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
More than one type of card would be wise. My visa debit card from Barclays gets a very good rate of exchange and no additional charges but I also use a post office money card which is pre-loaded, but at a poorer rate of exchange than I get from the debit card.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Problem with useing your debit or credit cards is if you lose them or have them nicked is they have access to your whole bank account and you stand to lose a load of money , never mind the hassle getting them stopped and geting new cards and stuff, whereas with the eurocards you only stand to lose what's on them, could be quite a bit admitted but at least it doesn't get mixed up with all your other stuff, we have about £500 in ours and take enough cash out for the day and use it as a credit card where we can which is most places apart from motorway tolls and self service only petrol stations, and then just load some more on by phone or online when we need to.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
fit a safe (properly) take a combination of cash and cards (not everything in safe either) VISA always returns as near bank rate as you can get, better than any prepaid.

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Santander customers get good deals on Cash withdrawals with Debit card, and credit card usage ( Not Cash withdrawals). If you are a Santander customer, contact your branch. I use this as my prime access to cash. Other methods I use cannot be disclosed on this forum.

cydersyd

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Jul 21, 2010
Sherborne, Dorset
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
12 years.
Nationwide Debit card is a must. No withdrawal charges, use any ATM in both France and Spain PLUS;
Free European travel insurance which I called upon in France this year for an emergency operation. No problem paid out as good as gold.

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
+1 on Nationwide, but also a Euro cash card. We use both, it really is the best of both worlds.

OP
OP
The rehctub
Sep 20, 2014
Luton
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
8 years
All advice very much appreciated, great more knowledge about taking funds with us ,thanks to all your replies

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Nationwide Debit card is a must. No withdrawal charges, use any ATM in both France and Spain PLUS; Free European travel insurance which I called upon in France this year for an emergency operation. No problem paid out as good as gold.

Nationwide debit card cash withdrawals are NOT FREE if you don't have a current account with them for which you pay a monthly fee. Credit card cash withdrawals are not free 'normally' either:

Nationwide - Purchases abroad:
  • debit card: 2% commission.
  • credit card: no commission for purchases IF you have earned a sufficient 'allowance' to offset it, otherwise 2%.
Cash withdrawals abroad:
  • debit card: 2% commission plus £1 transaction fee
  • credit card: 2.5% commission of the cash amount (minimun £3) plus interest on the whole amount from the day you draw out the cash at an ATM

See the below link and click on the tabs to see more details if required:

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
There's no way of getting anything free , or any great difference between the cards but my point was security of your bank account and not carrying a lot of cash on you with the euro cash cards, and on the point of conversion you can load up your euro card at favourable rates any time that they look good.

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
We have a Halifax Clarity Credit card. We also have a Halifax current account.
We loaded the CC with cash so that we were in credit. We drew money out on it so that even after we'ed done it we were still in credit and continued that way until we got back, making sure that we were in credit, feeding it from the Current Account online. (not much)LOL.
We were not charged anything and we got the perfect rate on both cash and purchases.
PS. On day 1 I went into a Spar type shop in a village. I was hoping to find an ATM in the village but there wasn't one. The Spar type shop had a stand alone ATM inside, the type that screws you in the UK.
I drew out €140 expecting it to be treated as a cash withdrawal but, later on the hols. I discovered that it had been treated as a purchase of goods. Result!!!

To confirm, we were NOT charged to remove cash and we were NOT charged anything on purchases. The rate we got was not just good. It was the Interbank Rate for that day.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We have CaxtonFX, FairFX and Ukash cards which offer the following:
  • Fee-free purchases
  • 'Chip & PIN' secure
The top-up amounts methods and some fees are slightly different:

CaxtonFX - European Traveller Card: https://www.caxtonfx.com/currency-cards/how-they-work

• Minimum load = £100/€150
  • Load the card using your UK debit card online, by phone, or via SMS text
  • Withdraw cash at ATMs without charge in card usage zones (some ATM providers may charge)

FairFX - Euro Currency Card: https://www.fairfx.com/product/cards
  • Minimum load = £50/€60
  • Load the card using your UK debit card by phone or via SMS text (NOT online)
  • Note that there is now a €1.50 fee for ATM withdrawals which it didn't use to have (some ATM providers may charge also)

UKCash - Travel Money Card: https://www.ukash.com/en-GB/products/travelmoneycard/
  • Minimum load = £50
  • Load the card using your UK debit card online only
  • Withdraw cash at ATMs without charge in card usage zones (some ATM providers may charge)

Last edited:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
We have a Halifax Clarity Credit card. We also have a Halifax current account.
We loaded the CC with cash so that we were in credit. We drew money out on it so that even after we'ed done it we were still in credit and continued that way until we got back, making sure that we were in credit, feeding it from the Current Account online. (not much)LOL.
We were not charged anything and we got the perfect rate on both cash and purchases.
PS. On day 1 I went into a Spar type shop in a village. I was hoping to find an ATM in the village but there wasn't one. The Spar type shop had a stand alone ATM inside, the type that screws you in the UK.
I drew out €140 expecting it to be treated as a cash withdrawal but, later on the hols. I discovered that it had been treated as a purchase of goods. Result!!!

To confirm, we were NOT charged to remove cash and we were NOT charged anything on purchases. The rate we got was not just good. It was the Interbank Rate for that day.
With the exception of the 'anomaly' of the machine you used in the Spar shop, if you draw out cash at an ATM with your credit card you would be charged interest from the day you take out the money .... so there is a charge.

How much will I be charged for withdrawing cash abroad?

You will not be charged a fee by us for withdrawing cash from an ATM (cashpoint) anywhere in the world. Some ATM providers charge a fee, but this should be made clear to you at the time of withdrawal and is unfortunately outside of our control. You will still be charged interest from the date that the withdrawal is made, but unlike some credit cards which charge a higher rate of cash, you will be charged the same competitive rate as if you had made a purchase.

http://www.halifax.co.uk/creditcards/clarity-card/#foreign_exchange

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
With the exception of the 'anomaly' of the machine you used in the Spar shop, if you draw out cash at an ATM with your credit card you would be charged interest from the day you take out the money .... so there is a charge.
I have found if you buy euros with a pound credit card , it's classed as a purchase not drawing cash(y)

mariner

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2013
Isle of Dogs, but mostly Artola Spain.
Funster No
MH
Caravan
Exp
Since 2007. But no more.
Some people just don't seem able to work out what it's costing them to get cash whilst abroad.
As far as I know there is only one debit card that is totally free of charges and that is the N&P one. I don't believe there are any credit cards at all, that provide totally free cash withdrawal.
All the others appear to have a cost, even if it's a monthly account fee.
I'm sure, that if there are some that are totally free, some one will enlighten me.

:cooler:

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
We try to use our Post office credit card for fuel,groceries and any larger amounts as it does not cost anything as long as you pay it off monthly,we have a safe and take what cash we need.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
I have found if you buy euros with a pound credit card , it's classed as a purchase not drawing cash(y)
I'm not sure what you mean by 'buy euros' ...
  • if you mean 'topping-up' a cash card with a credit card then there is a charge from the cash card provider
  • if you mean getting euros out of an ATM using your credit card this will depend on the credit card provider's charges but you will incur interest if it is ever classed as cash instead of a purchase
As I've never used a credit card to obtain euros from an ATM I can only go by what the credit card providers say and that is that it is classed as cash and charged interest and fees as appropriate.

normanandsue

Free Member
Dec 31, 2010
Dunfermline - Scotland
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2007
Take hole in the wall cards for N and P or Nationwide building society.. work any where, no charges, good exchange rates....

Regret not so! Nationwide make a charge to withdraw cash from hole in the wall when abroad.
Use Nationwide credit card for all purchases in France as you get the best conversion rate and no charges for use.
Load up a cash card with euros and use that from a hole in the wall and there are no charges. We used Thomas Cook as it was a good rate then. Shop around esp at cash shops for the best rates.

Norman

mariner

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2013
Funster No
MH
Caravan
Exp
Since 2007. But no more.
Regret not so! Nationwide make a charge to withdraw cash from hole in the wall when abroad.
Use Nationwide credit card for all purchases in France as you get the best conversion rate and no charges for use.
Load up a cash card with euros and use that from a hole in the wall and there are no charges. We used Thomas Cook as it was a good rate then. Shop around esp at cash shops for the best rates.

Norman

But N&P don't charge anything for cash in the EU.

Nov 5, 2011
Gironde, France
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
5 years
We use a Nationwide FlexPlus Debit Card for cash withdrawals (fee paying, interest earning for the account) & a Nationwide Select credit card for purchases. No charges for either assuming you clear the credit card at the end of the month.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Some people just don't seem able to work out what it's costing them to get cash whilst abroad.
As far as I know there is only one debit card that is totally free of charges and that is the N&P one. I don't believe there are any credit cards at all, that provide totally free cash withdrawal.
All the others appear to have a cost, even if it's a monthly account fee.
I'm sure, that if there are some that are totally free, some one will enlighten me.

But N&P don't charge anything for cash in the EU.

Not quite that clear cut ... it depends on which account you have with them and you still have to meet their terms to get it 'free' or pay a monthly charge.

The Gold Start Current Account
Please note that charges do apply for using a debit card abroad on the Gold Start Current Account = £2.00 for cash withdrawals and £0.75 for purchases.

The Gold Start Current Account is suitable if you make at least 5 transactions a month on the account.

Broken Link Removed

The Gold Classic Current Account
All our Gold Classic Current Account holders are entitled to use their debit card for transactions abroad with no charges. Please note an overseas ATM or retailer may add a charge. You would be told about this at the time of transaction.

It is suitable if you are paying at least £500 per month into the account or holding an average balance of at least £5000, otherwise a £5 monthly account charge will apply.

Broken Link Removed

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp

mariner

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2013
Funster No
MH
Caravan
Exp
Since 2007. But no more.
Not quite that clear cut ... it depends on which account you have with them and you still have to meet their terms to get it 'free' or pay a monthly charge.

The Gold Start Current Account
Please note that charges do apply for using a debit card abroad on the Gold Start Current Account = £2.00 for cash withdrawals and £0.75 for purchases.

The Gold Start Current Account is suitable if you make at least 5 transactions a month on the account.

Broken Link Removed

The Gold Classic Current Account
All our Gold Classic Current Account holders are entitled to use their debit card for transactions abroad with no charges. Please note an overseas ATM or retailer may add a charge. You would be told about this at the time of transaction.

It is suitable if you are paying at least £500 per month into the account or holding an average balance of at least £5000, otherwise a £5 monthly account charge will apply.

Broken Link Removed

So as I stated, my Gold A/C Debit Card is free.
Putting £500 a month in should be no problem to anyone as you can take it straight back out again.
I use mine in the winter in Spain and should I happen to travel in Europe in the summer.

Nov 5, 2011
Gironde, France
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
5 years
I did read your post & your link. However, if you follow your link & select FlexPlus & the Select Credit Card you will find my post is accurate...

lou020

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 5, 2010
huddersfield
Funster No
MH
autotrail chieftain
Exp
since 2010
caxton card for me, very easy to top up and very good rates.....i never use my santander debit card for any thing, unless emergency as you're charged twice,, a conversion fee + transaction fee.. my santander zero credit card is brilliant though with no fees,,i use this for tolls and fuel,,although i think they have stopped doing the zero card now for new applicants.

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I'm not sure what you mean by 'buy euros' ...
  • if you mean 'topping-up' a cash card with a credit card then there is a charge from the cash card provider
  • if you mean getting euros out of an ATM using your credit card this will depend on the credit card provider's charges but you will incur interest if it is ever classed as cash instead of a purchase
As I've never used a credit card to obtain euros from an ATM I can only go by what the credit card providers say and that is that it is classed as cash and charged interest and fees as appropriate.
I ment buying euros from travel agents or whatever

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back