geoffles

Free Member
Sep 9, 2014
Trafford Park
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
Hi i know this sounds daft but i saw a possible van today that we both liked but i noticed there wasnt a gas fire as there was in my old caravan which was gas and electric.

The seller explained that heater was also water heater and used blown air to circulate around. I was just curious as im used to seeing a fire aswell as blown air, will it also have an electric option if im hooked up. And if im wild camping would the fan run the battery down

The van is a 2002 fiat ducato gazelle 2.8d

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
It will still be 12v even on hookup but obviously the battery will not suffer in that instance.

Off hookup the battery may suffer running the fan for long periods....probably somewhere between 5 and 10 amps/hour.

It doubt it will be a blown air heater and water heater unit combined but two individual units.
If it were one unit then how would you get hot water in summer when hot air isnt required and certainly not needed

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
stupid internet 'jumping'!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I think the Gazelle is a Swift built MH in which case it may have an electric option on it, but you need to check with the seller to be sure.

As for running the battery down, it will draw some power from it but if you're only talking a day or two it shouldn't make much difference unless you run it for a long, long time.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
anything post 2000 is unlikely to have the type of heater you remember

quite a lot of the earlier blown air systems were heated by gas only, but as said above will use 12V for the blown bit (y)

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
You need to check what fuel it burns, it could be gas/electric or diesel/electric. If you can find out the make it will help people advise. Eberspacher and Webasto are fairly common but there are others. We have a diesel Webasto which is blown air and hot water in one unit. It runs on diesel, 240v or 12v.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Is it a combi heater ? heats the water as well as blown air heating
terry

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
I can't see it being diesel powered as they didn't start to be used in any real numbers in MHs until much more recently and I'm not sure Swift even use them now so I'm sure it will be gas.

If you put Swift Gazelle 2002 into a Google search you'll find lots of the come up so can probably identify the exact model you're looking at and find out the definite info you're after.

John121

Free Member
Dec 29, 2014
Fleetwood
Funster No
MH
T4 Conversion
Exp
Since 2010
The fan in propex heaters only use 1.5 amp/h so can't seen the fan being a problem. My battery 120amps lasted 3 days with heater and 19in tv.

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
If your really interested in the vehicle go back and take pictures for us to have a look at.

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
Average consumption of the fan in a Truma is about 20 to 24 amps per 24 hours, assuming it is left on all the time

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
I have blown air heating, and when cold, let the thermostat do the work, so it just goes on and off when needed.
Do a lot of non electric camping

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
I have blown air heating, and when cold, let the thermostat do the work, so it just goes on and off when needed.
Do a lot of non electric camping

Not so easy if its a diesel heater as the system uses more amps to start up and run down. Much better to just keep it on at a fixed temperature. Battery will last longer.

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
It will still be 12v even on hookup but obviously the battery will not suffer in that instance.

Off hookup the battery may suffer running the fan for long periods....probably somewhere between 5 and 10 amps/hour.

It doubt it will be a blown air heater and water heater unit combined but two individual units.
If it were one unit then how would you get hot water in summer when hot air isnt required and certainly not needed

lots of combi heaters out there that do exactly that 2002 is around the time they were starting to be fitted as standard
some have 240v elements built in as well .you realy need to know which system is fitted
personally i think the separate units are more reliable and if they do fail you only lose one or the other The combis seem to be more exspensive to repair/replace as well
builders like the combis as it is less work to fit less electrics to run and less gas pipework but i think they take up slightly more space

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
As for the Summer mode when you want Hot Water but no heating, all you do is turn the thermostat down (off) and the Truma warms the water. Ours is a Truma 6003 ???

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back