New Zealand in a hired Motorhome . es (2 Viewers)

MrsBB

Free Member
Jun 14, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer a class
Exp
10 years after many years tugging
Just thinking of future holidays and visiting New Zealand and touring around in a hired Motorhome came up as an idea. Anyone any experience of this at all please?? Probably go next winter . Best times to buy airline tickets or companies to deal with? ( for that bit extra back up cos partners diabetic)

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
Never been but the Camping and Caravanning Club do an organised tour, not cheap though.

Mike

Apr 22, 2013
Cotswolds
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 625
Exp
Since 2011
We did NZ in Feb 2009, we used a small family hire company: "gateway" http://www.motorhomehire.co.nz/
I gave them a call in the end to make the arrangements and spoke to one of the owners, definitely not a call centre.
Its generally considered best to arrive in one of the islands and leave from the other, that way you avoid one ferry crossing and any back tracking.
Every town has a tourist information centre, you can't miss them they have a dam great letter "i" outside and are therefore known as I-centres.
The best camp sites are run by the department of conservation and are known as "doc" sites, getting the doc booklets from any I-centre is a must.
If you get serious I look up our route for you, but needless to say the four week we had wasn't anywhere near enough.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
MrsBB

MrsBB

Free Member
Jun 14, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer a class
Exp
Never been but the Camping and Caravanning Club do an organised tour, not cheap though.

Mike
Yes thanks ,...seen those and as you say ..... Not cheap. Too dear for us . Hoping to do it cheaper .

Feb 3, 2008
Highworth
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 85
Been on cc tour excellent organisation go for it you will love it as I did. Amazing country wonderful people what more could you ask for.I would go again tomorrow like a shot
Sue

Oct 15, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
C Class Laika Ecovip 7R
Exp
We did NZ in Feb 2009, we used a small family hire company: "gateway" http://www.motorhomehire.co.nz/
I gave them a call in the end to make the arrangements and spoke to one of the owners, definitely not a call centre.
Its generally considered best to arrive in one of the islands and leave from the other, that way you avoid one ferry crossing and any back tracking.
Every town has a tourist information centre, you can't miss them they have a dam great letter "i" outside and are therefore known as I-centres.
The best camp sites are run by the department of conservation and are known as "doc" sites, getting the doc booklets from any I-centre is a must.
If you get serious I look up our route for you, but needless to say the four week we had wasn't anywhere near enough.
The above is a great but expensive way to see NZ, we go every year, one of our sons lives there. The best way to see NZ is hire a smallish car and stay in motels, hotels and BB. the most we've paid in high season is £80.00 per night in Queenstown. Every town has,as said a tourist information centre, go into one and they will give you free of charge a book which lists all motel. hotel and BB for both Islands. If you hire a car, then leave in in Wellington where up pick up the ferry to the South Island and collect another the other side, you need a least a month to do NZ and longer if you can. Motorhome hire in NZ is very expensive but you can use your Airmiles or Tesco point to hire a car, which is what we have done in the past. Hope this helps. (y)

Movinon

Free Member
Feb 1, 2012
UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Lots
Did the South Island a while back in a hired panelvan conversion. Too small with a poor layout. Don't camp by the roads if you hire a motorhome as truck drivers like to sound their horns at you, unlike Australia where they have to sleep at the roadside themselves.

Mikey RV

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 7, 2010
Devon
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance I821G
Exp
Since 1977
Done this 12 years ago and had a great time. Spent 3 months touring North and South island. Picked the camper up from the airport on North Island and dropped it off at airport South Island no hassles. We used Britz and they were great to deal with. Our camper was a Bedford hi top great for the two of us and cost us £1000 for the 3 months. Everything was in it. Campsites are all over the place and some great wild camping spots. We were there in there winter so campsites were quiet but weather was a mixture of all sorts and that's in one day. Go for it. :giggle:

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Totally agree with David Baldam, for non motorhome owners is a fantastic idea, but as most of us on here are owners using a hire car and other forms of lodgings is better ( Done it twice) did 5 months in Auz, 2002/3 and in 2008 NZ, 2 months. Motorhoming is expensive, car hire is more affordable, we stayed in cabins on campsites, most have kitchen areas for all users, so everyboby gets together in the evenings, motorhomers also.

Nov 5, 2013
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic e-line
Exp
Since 2013
We went for three months in 2012,like Mikey RV we picked our van up in Auckland and dropped it in Christchurch
We booked our van through motorhome bookers
http://www.motorhomebookers.com/?et=Wo9Fw3&et_cid=3&et_lid=14658
The best information we would give is to get in contact with the NZMCA ,I think you can get guest membership through CC?
we had friends out there who gave us their old book,their attitude is if we've got a self contained van why should we pay campsite fees! So if your into free camping thats the way to go.We went on a campsite once a week to do washing etc.Free wifi in all libraries,water and dump at fuel stations.
Without doubt the best holiday of our lives,we went for so long because we thought we'd never go back hmmmm.
Loads of info should you want it

StanandShirley

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 29, 2014
Chatteris Cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
Chausson Titanium 640
Exp
four years
Sorry can not help with your query about costs as it was a few years ago since we hired a van in New Zealand, as we were on holiday in the Cook Islands and being so close we extended our holiday for a trip to New Zealand. We were picked up at the airport stored suitcases at the Motorhome base and of we went. Only did a small part of the North Island but what a trip, campsites great and not expensive, fuel cheap people so friendly. If you go you will not be disappointed would love to go again.

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
I covered both Islands and went for a month. Longer would have been better.

Like David above we hired a Toyota 7 seater gave three seats to the luggage and had armchair luxury for the month.

Stayed in "Homestays", boutique hotels and motels, the standard of which puts the rest of the world to shame.

Met some campers down at Milford Sound and after speaking with them, if I went again I would hire a car.

The only country I've ever visited where I could gladly live. Fabulous.

wanderer

Free Member
Apr 14, 2008
huntingdon
Funster No
MH
a class Arto
Exp
since 2008
Many ways of touring NZ depending on your budget . We bought a car in Auckland from a garage with a guaranteed buyback price 6 months later . We stayed in a variety of accommadation our favourite was BBH Hostels which gave us a private room and communial cooking facilities . We actually sold the car ourselves at the end of our trip for NZ$50 less than we paid for it , insurance was with the RAC in NZ and they even gave us our UK no claims discount so take proof with you

Apr 22, 2013
Cotswolds
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 625
Exp
Since 2011
The above is a great but expensive way to see NZ, we go every year, one of our sons lives there. The best way to see NZ is hire a smallish car and stay in motels, hotels and BB. the most we've paid in high season is £80.00 per night in Queenstown. Every town has,as said a tourist information centre, go into one and they will give you free of charge a book which lists all motel. hotel and BB for both Islands. If you hire a car, then leave in in Wellington where up pick up the ferry to the South Island and collect another the other side, you need a least a month to do NZ and longer if you can. Motorhome hire in NZ is very expensive but you can use your Airmiles or Tesco point to hire a car, which is what we have done in the past. Hope this helps. (y)
There are different ways to see NZ, using a hire car and motels may be cheaper but you will be mostly staying in towns and of course you'll get lots of practice packing and unpacking suitcases:(. We hired a MH so that we only unpacked and repacked once. The hire company stored our cases during our visit. With the Mh we stayed a lot out in countryside, but NZ being NZ we found parking a Mh in towns wasn't a problem. There are lots of grades/age of MH to choose from as I understand MHs get passed from hire company to hire company down the food chain so some round the world back packers even find something to suit their pockets. We just like MHing.

Nov 13, 2012
Somerset
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2000
We picked up motorhome in Christchurch and returned to Aukland at both ends we were transported to and from airport. Booked van direct with hire company by phone and also booked ferry to cross to north island by phone all very easy. Allow plenty of time as some roads are not sealed and it is a beautiful country. We will be going again in the next couple of years and will book van direct as before but will stay for 3 months minimum. Have a great time when you go.

OP
OP
MrsBB

MrsBB

Free Member
Jun 14, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer a class
Exp
Totally agree with David Baldam, for non motorhome owners is a fantastic idea, but as most of us on here are owners using a hire car and other forms of lodgings is better ( Done it twice) did 5 months in Auz, 2002/3 and in 2008 NZ, 2 months. Motorhoming is expensive, car hire is more affordable, we stayed in cabins on campsites, most have kitchen areas for all users, so everyboby gets together in the evenings, motorhomers also.
Brilliant idea using cabins on campsites ...... Best of all worlds and definitely something we'll investigate. Got a hymer 830 s so we were a bit worried about what sort of van to hire particularly for a few weeks !! Not keen on overcab beds ......getting up in the night a reality at our ages!!!!

joncris

Free Member
Jan 11, 2011
Where it matters
Funster No
MH
Rimor Katamarano 12p +
Exp
Contact JustGo Herts they ARE an NZ firm based both here and NZ and by all accounts are great

Oct 20, 2014
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 680 SL
Exp
Since 2014
We went in Jan/Feb this year, hired a Maui Ultima 2 berth for three weeks in south island; hired a car for two weeks in north island. Loved the Maui and didn't want to give it up. It was our first intro to MHing. Found the i-sites really good for info and booking accommodation. Top 10 site facilities very good, have bbqs and kitchens where you can cook; you can also book rooms even when you don't have an MH. If you have their membership at the onset you get site discount and also at some tourist places. We also used Airbnb from the UK to book a lovely b&b just outside Wellington - you can see exactly what accommodation you are getting and a profile of the hosts.

It was the holiday of a lifetime for us, scenery amazing. Would love to go back. Please PM me if you would like any further info. :smiley:

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Have you looked at a motorhome exchange with a couple from NZ .Your post started me looking at options as when we eventually retire we would like to do a similar trip and there are online links to swap use rather than rent. The other option could be to buy and resell if you could find a willing dealer or post to find others doing a similar trip and buy/sell as a syndicate ( only worth it if going for a couple of months at least)

David

Sep 26, 2010
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B654
Exp
Since 2009
We are going to NZ in January for a month.
I've researched Campervan v car hire and no matter how I try the Campervan works out way more expensive. Would have much preferred a van but costs dictate. Typical hire costs for South Island, 10 days, Campervan = £1300, car hire = £250/350. Even if you include B&B accommodation at £60/night the car works out cheaper. Remember added costs of Campervan will be camp site fees and possibly increased CDW costs, plus reduced fuel economy.
You could argue that it's not all about the money and I'd agree but for us it is a major consideration (this is only part of a longer trip).
Good advice to drop off car/van in Picton and pickup new transport in Wellington - or visa versa.
We're also doing the 4 day Queen Charlotte Trail where you stay in overnight accommodation, hence no need for car or van.
John

Oct 15, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
C Class Laika Ecovip 7R
Exp
Another PS, meant to say that all motels, lodges, and some Hotel rooms have cooking facilities, which makes self catering cheaper. Most Hotels, trains and ferries in NZ can be booked on line in this country. (y)

Sep 26, 2010
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B654
Exp
Since 2009
Agreed David, we've just booked the Picton - Wellimgton ferry on-line. One way, no vehicle (another reason for dropping off, picking up on different islands) for $120.

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Hi,

I'm not too sure if I'm right on this, but am I right in thinking that the OP doesn't have a motorhome at the mo.

If so I have to issue a warning.

Me and SWMBO hired a motorhome (one 'careful'??? owner) 397000!!!!! Kms. for 10days before Christmas 2013.

Within 4 days of arriving back in the UK in Jan. 2014 we were seriously depleted in the bank after buying our first motorhome.

You have been warned!!!

Sep 26, 2010
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B654
Exp
Since 2009
Yes thanks ,...seen those and as you say ..... Not cheap. Too dear for us . Hoping to do it cheaper .

We found that the C&CC struggled to sort out an itinerary for our independent tailor-made trip. I think they are probably very good at scheduled trips/visits but we wanted flights, stopovers, other countries included (they advertise as something that they can do). We found Trailfinders really on the ball so booked most things with them - including campervan hire in OZ at a price we couldn't find cheaper.

Nov 5, 2013
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic e-line
Exp
Since 2013
Are you receiving or am I doing something wrong?

Richard

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back