LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
I thought it was bad enough getting insurance for a fifth wheel outfit to cover the length of time am outside the UK, but breakdown cover is looking like a real headache. Do you fiver owners just chance your luck, or do you have full breakdown cover for the complete outfit throughout Europe.

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Hi Snowbird.
Why change the habits of a lifetime behind the wheel,check the oil sword,kick the tyres,say the drivers prayer,and............ "To infinity and beyond".... Oh and once a week,check your wheel nuts and U Bolts LOL
Tea Bag.
PS. It's also handy as you know,to carry some spanners,do you know,there are some people who don't believe in them !
PPS. When greasing the fifth wheel,REMEMBER ,when it comes off the suzies it ruins your jeans LOL

OP
OP
Snowbird

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Hi Snowbird.
Why change the habits of a lifetime behind the wheel,check the oil sword,kick the tyres,say the drivers prayer,and............ "To infinity and beyond".... Oh and once a week,check your wheel nuts and U Bolts LOL
Tea Bag.
PS. It's also handy as you know,to carry some spanners,do you know,there are some people who don't believe in them !
PPS. When greasing the fifth wheel,REMEMBER ,when it comes off the suzies it ruins your jeans LOL

When I think back a few years to where I took a truck on a wing and prayer with no breakdown cover, credit cards or anything else only what I could tie on the damned thing or get in the cab with me, I shudder to think. But am a bit too old and fat now for taking gearboxes out at the side of the road and repairing them :xsad:.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
That was one of the things on our against list when we looked at them, but when doing our research and talking to people we was under the impression the Caravan Club Mayday would recover them, in the truck we just phoned owner driver friends or hauliers we did work for close to where you broke down, and they did the same and I would get someone out. :xdoh:
11o clock on a Friday night :xeek: wonderful, still having nightmares now. :xrofl:. Bob.

Deleted User
When we first got our 5'er I tried to get cover through the C&CC linked to the RAC Arrivals which would cover the size and configuration but had a 90 day European trip limit which was no use to us.

I have been with ADAC for about 5 years now and even though it is debatable that they would recover the trailer (the cover does extend to normal trailers but not sure about the semi trailer) at least I would be able to get somebody out and if a recovery was necessary then it would probably cost.

Nov 6, 2008
Ramsey, Isle of Man.
Funster No
MH
Coachmen Concord 300TS
Exp
8 years with an RV
Hello Snowbird, I am insured with Camptons, and have no breakdown cover.
I have mine serviced and checked over by a haulage company I use. Then, i am adept enough to fix the majority of fixable things as we go along. I do carry spare hoses, and belts.
If a repair is needed abroad, then i would get it done somewhere, somehow. There are equally proficient tradesmen in Spain, as there are in England.
If i had breakdown cover, then what? I wait, and wait, to get it recovered, taken back to the UK, and still have to find someone, somewhere to fix it.
If it is serviced regularly, and properly, it should be fine. OK, things break, and have to be fixed, but the same happens to Spaniards.
My brother lives full time in his Winnebago Journey, and has had odd things go on his. He has ordered parts from the States, had them delivered to Spain, and had it fixed there just as easy.
I am, however, the proverbial optimist.

Craig

Deleted User
By recovery I meant recovery to a local garage, not recovery to the UK as this is of no use to me as I have no property in the UK (or anywhere else). For the same reason I have no medical/travel insurance, but the ÂŁ80 a year membership of ADAC plus costs is worth the money as this does have some level of medical/accident insurance included but I hope never to have to test it out.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back