tax rebate rip off (1 Viewer)

Nov 2, 2014
somerset
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
hi px old mh for new one to us with 4 months tax got 18 pounds 33 pence back good old england turned over again

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
This is yet another short sighted move that has been allowed by government

I have spoken to a few people recently who have a new car every 2 years.
Because of the road tax situation more than 1/2 of them have delayed replacing their motors
I suggested to one lady that I thought it was a bit petty seeing as how she spends a few grand over and above every time.. She said it was just the principle of the whole thing

Considering the government are trying to get folk to spend money they do seem to be going out of their way to turn folk off the whole idea

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Are we talking about VED?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
angusboy
Nov 2, 2014
somerset
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
This was done swapped vans 1st oct so its took this long aswell.they know what they are trying to do when they want screw you the bxxxxxxs

wasp

Free Member
Dec 21, 2008
Warsop
Funster No
MH
None gone caravannin
Exp
I got mine on a DD it seems easier hopefully

motorhomer

Free Member
May 17, 2008
South Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2005 (but 30 years caravanning)
Maybe I am being thick but I don't understand the problem. You return the V5 to Swansea with a claim for refund of tax (VED) and it comes back. You do only get complete months worth, and at the 12 month, not the six month, rate. But I've done this many times, never had a problem. I have always sent off my claim immediately, though.

BeefyJ

Free Member
Dec 24, 2014
Wales
Funster No
MH
510 ordered for Jan 15
Exp
Looking forward to receiving a cheque back for VED from my £480/yr Saab I sold last week. Took a photo of the V5 after completion by myself and buyer with date on it. My understanding is refund of FULL months remaining from date of sale.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Maybe I am being thick but I don't understand the problem. You return the V5 to Swansea with a claim for refund of tax (VED) and it comes back. You do only get complete months worth, and at the 12 month, not the six month, rate. But I've done this many times, never had a problem. I have always sent off my claim immediately, though.
Well you started it so !!!
Yes, you are either being thick or amazingly naive
People are sending the docs in on time and the DVLA then sit on them for SEVERAL WEEKS !
When they finally get around to paying up you get paid from the date they deal with the paperwork, NOT THE DATE RECEIVED the docs

It happened to me on the van and has happened to a chap I bought a bike from in October.
He just got the tax back from the 1st of December
The DVLA are making a total killing on the whole deal

BeefyJ

Free Member
Dec 24, 2014
Wales
Funster No
MH
510 ordered for Jan 15
Exp
Sounds straightforward

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 112

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
I suspect things will get better as time goes by but at the moment they do not have the staff, the resources or the drive to get the mess under control

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
As well as alerting all the MHF members it might be a good idea to get your MP on the case.

Mar 26, 2009
Yr Wyddgrug
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL
Exp
Since 2009
I sent my documents for a replate early December and had a cheque through today for all of the complete months.:xThumb:

motorhomer

Free Member
May 17, 2008
South Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Well you started it so !!!
Yes, you are either being thick or amazingly naive
People are sending the docs in on time and the DVLA then sit on them for SEVERAL WEEKS !
When they finally get around to paying up you get paid from the date they deal with the paperwork, NOT THE DATE RECEIVED the docs

It happened to me on the van and has happened to a chap I bought a bike from in October.
He just got the tax back from the 1st of December
The DVLA are making a total killing on the whole deal
Not my experience.

I changed my van last april and went through the procedure. Yes it took them about 5 weeks to process but the refund was from the date the old van ceased to be mine, so the only loss to me was the 3 weeks to take it to a month boundary. I changed my car a few months earlier and had the same experience. Perhaps I am filling the forms in correctly!

And I do not take kindly to such an abusive post. But I will not sink to your level in a response.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Not my experience.

I changed my van last april and went through the procedure. Yes it took them about 5 weeks to process but the refund was from the date the old van ceased to be mine, so the only loss to me was the 3 weeks to take it to a month boundary. I changed my car a few months earlier and had the same experience. Perhaps I am filling the forms in correctly!

And I do not take kindly to such an abusive post. But I will not sink to your level in a response.

Different thing altogether since 1st Oct this year......nobody applies for a rebate on unused months, its all done automatically.

But you do need to ensure they know the van has gone to a dealer by filling in the sold to dealer section, who is exempt from declaring ownership and otherwise DVSA wont know until the van is subsequently sold on and the new keepers details are recorded.

As i said earlier....simply declare sorn from the 1st of the following month (i believe you can do this from the middle of the preceeding month) and you are still legal to drive up to the last day of the current month..

motorhomer

Free Member
May 17, 2008
South Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Thank you for that, so the system has changed and maybe there are teething troubles. Useful info.

But I still do not see conspiracy theories and I still take exception to the post from Jaws.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Not my experience.

Hang on a minute
1) The new system only started on October 1st THIS YEAR, so unless the vehicle you mention was a TARDIS I really fail to see what it has to do with anything ?

2) Apparently it is OK to hand out snide sarcastic remarks (
Perhaps I am filling the forms in correctly!
) suggesting that others are not doing a simple job correctly, yet:

3)
And I do not take kindly to such an abusive post.
I was not abusive at all.. It was an off the cuff reply to what YOU posted. It is called humour.. perhaps something new or foreign or unrecognised ?

4)
But I will not sink to your level in a response.
Nooo.. of course not... OOPS !!! I think it has already happened by a suggestion that people cannot fill in a form !!

Quite frankly anyone who takes offence at such a remark ( one that was OBVIOUSLY made in jest and picked up from a previous post ) REALLY needs to take a chill pill
Tell you what though me old mucker., being a loud mouthed arsehole ex-pat Londoner that I am, I am quite happy to offer proper abuse to demonstrate what it is if you like !! :xThumb: :xrofl::xrofl:

Oh .. and merry christmas !!! LOL !!!!!

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Thank you for that, so the system has changed and maybe there are teething troubles. Useful info.

But I still do not see conspiracy theories and I still take exception to the post from Jaws.

Not sure I dare answer in case I am accused of abuse again, but willing to risk it :)

OK, before, you had the choice of passing on the road tax to a new owner ( perhaps as a sweetner to a sale or perhaps to get a few bob back without jumping through hoops )
Most folk left the vehicle taxed but now....

So you sell a van on, lets be fair and say the 15th of the month

The tax is automatically cancelled from that day
The new owner must tax the vehicle from the beginning of the month, while the seller will get back at best from the start of the following month
I did have all the figures to hand and if you do a search you should be able to turn it up, but just from memory due entirely to these new rules and the amount of vehicle movement PA in the UK, it has been estimated the powers that be will generate in excess of a BILLION £ per year
The first estimates when the rule change came about was £40m, that was VERY quickly updated by the treasury its self to an estimated £480m.
The latest figures issued by an independent body more than double that.
It is not a conspiracy or a theory
It is a total rip off !

Last edited:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
FIGHT !!!!!!!

Nahh.. Its krimble, the chap took my post WAY too seriously, and hopefully will take on board that, as mentioned, I am a loud mouthed ex pat Londoner who is NEVER wrong about anything anyway, so therefore WRONG about just about EVERYTHING !

OP
OP
angusboy
Nov 2, 2014
somerset
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
jaws is right i read same thing they have massed loads of money out of this scam, i did deal on 1st oct with a great dealer in cumbria and he did allthe tax for new van and paperwork for old van in front of me and posted

BeefyJ

Free Member
Dec 24, 2014
Wales
Funster No
MH
510 ordered for Jan 15
Exp
must have been the V6 motor then!
Nah, 2.3 aero HOT but auto 56 plate, cracking tug car even if it did get 14mpg with just 1300kg behind it on a 2500 mile summer holiday. And that was when super ul was £1.50/l. Gulp indeed

motorhomer

Free Member
May 17, 2008
South Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Hang on a minute
1) The new system only started on October 1st THIS YEAR, so unless the vehicle you mention was a TARDIS I really fail to see what it has to do with anything ?

2) Apparently it is OK to hand out snide sarcastic remarks ( ) suggesting that others are not doing a simple job correctly, yet:

3)
I was not abusive at all.. It was an off the cuff reply to what YOU posted. It is called humour.. perhaps something new or foreign or unrecognised ?

4) Nooo.. of course not... OOPS !!! I think it has already happened by a suggestion that people cannot fill in a form !!

Quite frankly anyone who takes offence at such a remark ( one that was OBVIOUSLY made in jest and picked up from a previous post ) REALLY needs to take a chill pill
Tell you what though me old mucker., being a loud mouthed arsehole ex-pat Londoner that I am, I am quite happy to offer proper abuse to demonstrate what it is if you like !! :xThumb: :xrofl::xrofl:

Oh .. and merry christmas !!! LOL !!!!!
And a merry Christmas to you too.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back