LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Would like to hear from anyone else with a tag autotrail ( possibly SE version as for all I know they floor maybe different ? )

Have you spent a winter in your van ? Was it adequately insulated ?

A few weeks ago the meteorologists said this was going to be a real cold, real wet winter..
Turns out that as usual they could not have got it any more wrong ( it is 14C outside here today ) but it got me thinking..
The Miller had triple floor with two sandwiches of styrene.
No idea about the Chieftain but suspect it will not be all that great ?

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Dont have a Tag but never risked it with any of my AT's as soon as it's real cold I drain it all and carry water in container..
Knowing the build quality you can bet they have missed a bit of insulations somewhere, or like mine it just fell off one day..

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Its a 2007..
Not worried about the water side of it at all, that is always drained down at this time of year as the van does not move for three weeks, it is the hab area I am talking about..

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Well more Pyrenees proof to be honest !

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

My Dog Likes Fishing

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 16, 2012
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678
Exp
Hang on while I look at my watch
Why the extra insulation? Our Autotrail Scout SE is used all year round and its toasty. More than happy with it.

A great van that's really warm and stood up to some seriously cold nights.

Brightspark

Free Member
Dec 27, 2010
Ashbourne, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
June 2010
We live in our comanche 24/7 365 & last winter experienced some very cold conditions -5c in the south of France around Montpellier. We were on an aire with a howling wind & found the van well insulated. When left for the day without any heating on it never froze inside & when the gas/electric heating was turned on it only took 10 minutes to be back upto 18c. At times we found the heating system to be too over powering & had to turned down. This winter I have insulated all the heating duct pipes to try & prevent heat being lost into lockers. This was done with rolls of a wool mixture insulation purchased from wickes. This has certainly helped as the blown air is hotter & the system is more efficient. I also insulated the gas bottles with a domestic hot water cylinder jacket. They come in 3 pieces, & a 1 piece length is just perfect to wrap around a 13kg bottle. Hope this helps.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Why the extra insulation? Our Autotrail Scout SE is used all year round and its toasty. More than happy with it.

A great van that's really warm and stood up to some seriously cold nights.

Errr.. did you read the OP ?
You have answered it. :) !

We live in our comanche 24/7 365 & last winter experienced some very cold conditions -5c in the south of France around Montpellier. We were on an aire with a howling wind & found the van well insulated. When left for the day without any heating on it never froze inside & when the gas/electric heating was turned on it only took 10 minutes to be back upto 18c. At times we found the heating system to be too over powering & had to turned down. This winter I have insulated all the heating duct pipes to try & prevent heat being lost into lockers. This was done with rolls of a wool mixture insulation purchased from wickes. This has certainly helped as the blown air is hotter & the system is more efficient. I also insulated the gas bottles with a domestic hot water cylinder jacket. They come in 3 pieces, & a 1 piece length is just perfect to wrap around a 13kg bottle. Hope this helps.

Cheers !

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back