Free Member
Oct 25, 2008
Devon
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Does anyone fly?

I did have a fuji FA 200 x-mil plane, I have also flown owned a PA 28 140 and flown a PA 28 160, Cessna 150 and 172 ,a Yak and a B727.

Are their any other pilots out there???

Last edited:
Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years
Does anyone fly?

I did have a fuji FA 200 x-mil plane, I have also flown owned a PA 28 140 and flown a PA 28 160, Cessna 150 and 172 ,a Yak and a B727.

Are you talking about grown up planes or models?

Used to fly Radio Control, still got a few composite compertition gliders, not done any for a couple of years now.

Had a taster lesson on a light aircraft once from Biggin hill to Elstree and back, loved every second of it.

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
Flew a glider once.....no not a model either!

Amazing experience and far more exciting than powered light aircraft.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Does anyone fly?

I have to grit my teeth and say no.

I flew power for 14 years - usual single engine stuff then tried to give up - bored and expensive. Mainly from Manchester Barton. Maybe the high point was owning half a Bolkow Junior. Then I spent 8 years building a Rand KR2, that is the best way of losing interest in flying.

Two years later I climbed back in a glider, for ten years.

Gave up just a year ago - reason - weather. I was getting more and more fed up with lack of flying due to the deteriorating weather. Even some of the old pros were moaning "I used to do at least 60 hours a year now I'm down to 30". ( That may be 60 hours a month ?? ).

When it works there just is nothing like gliding, when it doesn't, well you can guess.

I last flew power in my son-in-law's Luscome, boring as hell. No challenge.

The withdrawal symptoms from gliding are severe. I've now distorted the situation by buying a MH. One of it's first sites was Deeside Gliding Club but my wife is not interested in flying so it wasn't what I'd hoped for. Scotland's most exciting site with a wife behaving as neglected wives do.

I still think in terms of a gliding holiday but that damned weather is always there waiting to ruin it.

Brian.

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Hi,

Been there and done most of it 5000 hours fixed wing and rotary but stopped about ten years ago as I was not flying enough, down to about 40 hours a year and really had no further need to fly.

My planes always worked for their living one way or another, used to do a lot of parachute dropping for the Army demo teams. Last one I did was dropping six SAS guys out at 25000 feet over Dover Castle from a Piper Navajo to cross the Channel by parachute and they landed near Calais.

Started with a Cherokee 140, then a 180, then a Twin Comanche, then an Aztec, then a couple of Seneca 1's plus a Cherokee 6 which we used for parachuting, then the Navajo, and lastly a Seneca 111

Then dropped fixed wing and bought a Bell Jetranger 111 which we kept for a few years (Fergie did her licence renewal in that, based at Air Hanson, Blackbushe.

Learnt to fly at Booker, High Wycome and then moved to Elstree for a few years, then back to Booker where we did a lot of St Johns Air Ambulance organ transplant flights and then finally back to Blackbushe with the Jet Ranger.

Last flights with that were down to Johns Cross where I landed at the back of the pub just up the road, beats driving on the M3, M25 and A21! but sadly gone now, too old!:Sad:

Peter

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
but sadly gone now, too old!:Sad:
Peter

The yearning is still there though, isn't it.

I've known many glider pilots in their later 70s or 80s, none of them look it, it's the secret of eternal life, but these days the insurers are making it difficult for them and they need a full expensive medical to instruct over 70. A great pity, they have so much to give.

Picking up clues here and there you've been a bit successful haven't you. Was it always the Johns Cross attitude or were you a right bastard once :)

Brian.

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
Does anyone fly?

Flown Powered (prop) Microlite, Helicopter and Glider...

Miss it lots at the moment and would be back up there like a shot.
:Cool:

Come On Lottery.....PAY UP.:shout::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Last edited:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Miss it lots at the moment and would be back up there like a shot.:Cool:

Leonardo Da Vinci:

"Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."

But how did he know ?

My other problem with flying was deciding whether I enjoyed a bike ride to the airfield more or less than the flying. Well I'm still riding so maybe that is the answer. After MHing to Venice and back this year we both came to the conclusion that the journey was boring as hell compared to doing it by bike but it was kinder to our aging bodies. You can't beat a bike on a nice day, to make you feel 100 years younger and full of life.

Brian.

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
The yearning is still there though, isn't it.
Picking up clues here and there you've been a bit successful haven't you. Was it always the Johns Cross attitude or were you a right bastard once :)
Brian.

Hi Brian,

Had the same attitude all my business life, only time I am ever a bastard is if a supplier upsets me and then its 'how much do I owe you, heres a cheque, now bugger off'

Always paid my bills on time, then I can shout if I am upset.

Made my money in the electronics trade, never made any money in the motor trade, so far always lost it!

Johns Cross is a challenge, fortunately I have very good staff who look after all the customers and its not rocket science at the end of the day when one realises how much it costs to get a customer in the first place, so why lose them once them have done business with you by poor service.

So many business's fail to realise this.

Peter

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Johns Cross is a challenge Peter

Well you always make all the right noises, I'd be knocking on your door if I needed anything if it wasn't 300 miles away.

Maybe that is your one failing, stuck in a corner even if it is a prosperous corner.

I think that you be sure that 30,000 people all hope you survive the difficult times.

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Well you always make all the right noises, I'd be knocking on your door if I needed anything if it wasn't 300 miles away.

Maybe that is your one failing, stuck in a corner even if it is a prosperous corner.

I think that you be sure that 30,000 people all hope you survive the difficult times.

Thats been said quite a few times that we should either move or open up in the Midlands but you are talking something like £2.5m to open another Johns Cross and frankly I should have retired 6 years ago! never mind looking for more expansion.

Theres a telephone number with free advice, internet webiste and all orders gets the same attention as a personal caller.

Buying a MH is not that much of a problem for the Midlands as CLS (member here) will always act on our behalf and comes to you door.

Thanks for the support.:thumb:

Peter

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Thats been said quite a few times that we should either move or open up in the Midlands but you are talking something like £2.5m to open another Johns Cross and frankly I should have retired 6 years ago! never mind looking for more expansion.
Peter

One thing is clear, you are not a retiring type, you'd curl up die in a week. People of your age with experience, enthusiasm and cash are what can save the country and show the lazy young 'uns how to do it.

£2.5M, maybe not, you'll not be surprised to find vacant premises available at attractive cost/rent in 2009 will you. Sounds like you've even got the right person to run it lined up. I'll bet the other successful Peter would stock it for you. Tempt. Tempt.

Lampie

Free Member
Nov 2, 2007
Derby
Funster No
MH
C Class RV
Exp
I have a cessna 152 that I fly out of Derby airfield, love it just wish there were more days in the week then I might get to go up a bit more often.

Lampie

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
The ultimate price too.

Is it really worth that much ?

Brian.
Every penny i reckon Brian.

Alternatively you could go for either a 1993 727 which he has for sale at just a tad over £2 million, or a 1994 Learjet at £1.8 million......but all the 'chavs' go for tat like this.

Now the 1956 Aerocar......thats real style!
Can't think why the damn things never took off! :roflmto:

Autoquest

Free Member
Oct 13, 2008
Small EU backwater
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2007
I fly an EC135 helicopter for a living but I wish I was fulltiming.... :winky:

PS - Hello everyone, my first post.

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
One thing is clear, you are not a retiring type, you'd curl up die in a week. People of your age with experience, enthusiasm and cash are what can save the country and show the lazy young 'uns how to do it.

£2.5M, maybe not, you'll not be surprised to find vacant premises available at attractive cost/rent in 2009 will you. Sounds like you've even got the right person to run it lined up. I'll bet the other successful Peter would stock it for you. Tempt. Tempt.

Hi Brian,

I never rent premises, neither do I have stock on sale or return, sorry, not tempted to expand. It takes far more than one person to run a good dealership and its not like the car trade in any respect, the staff need in depth knowledge of the leisure industry.

Getting too big doesnt make you good in this trade.

---------------------------

Autoquest welcome to FUN the place to be for friendly info and camaradie, keeps the revs up and dont drop that collective too quick!!!!

Your EGT will always stay cool in here!

Peter

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007

No problem. Fair swap. When do you want to collect this Burstner and give me a few lessons before you drive off into the sunset ?

NOTE: I'd better make this clear - JOKE - because anyone who would swap an EC135 for MH must be mad.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
With the Aerocar you could drive to the Supermarket.....and then fly back home. Sheer class! :roflmto:

It's a fine dream. Dreams usually are.

Reality, on the other hand.......

From a Yank's point of view, way too small a car.

From a pilot's POV, it would be like rigging and re-rigging a glider. Pain in the bum, find a helper, pray it's doesn't start raining, pray it doesn't start a gale, pre-flight. Repeat at other end. Drive. Repeat at other end.

A lot of fuzz to go and buy a pint of milk.

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?

Very Nice....I would look forward to going to work every day.:Cool:

BTW Welcome to the Site.:thumb:

Stephen & Jeannie

Free Member
Aug 27, 2008
Gobowen near Oswestry !!
Funster No
MH
Sold and bought a Caravan
Exp
9 years !!!!
When i was in the RAF i used to tool around in a Canberra PR9 out of Wildenrath ! (for the "cognoscenti" fuelled on AVTUR !!) and in my thirties (late !) i used to jump out of Cessnas at Shobden in Herefordshire. (fuelled with petrol i believe, high quality though ! YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE !!, see you Thursday for the quiz!!) I always wanted to jump a Hercy Bird , but alas not to be ! Now i have a motor home and memories, but what memories...as Shakespeare said in "As you like it" "I would not change it ".......:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :thumb: :Blush:.....................................Not bad grammar and spelling eh. Wildman ? .......hee,hee !!!!....Happy New Year to everyone !!!! :Cool:

OP
OP
Bunny

Bunny

Free Member
Oct 25, 2008
Devon
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
So many pilots, maybe it is the trend that you go from flying to motorhomes.

I love flying especially aerobatics and IFR flying in bad weather and could never get enough of it.

I found however that I seemed to be spending more and more money and less and less time with my family.

Last May I decided to call a halt to flying (for a bit) and since we have had our motorhome I ‘haven't really’ looked back.

I can see a time however in the not too distant future when I'll have to go off and fly again.

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
When i was in the RAF i used to tool around in a Canberra PR9 out of Wildenrath !
:Blush:.....................................Not bad grammar and spelling eh. Wildman ? .......hee,hee !!!!....Happy New Year to everyone !!!! :Cool:

Tool around???????????????????? hee hee, you were saying about spelling.:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

owlgirl

Free Member
Jul 7, 2008
Funster No
Does anyone fly?

Yes I have Flown in a few planes - but was notthe Pilot :Doh:

Stephen & Jeannie

Free Member
Aug 27, 2008
Gobowen near Oswestry !!
Funster No
MH
Sold and bought a Caravan
Exp
9 years !!!!
Tool around???????????????????? hee hee, you were saying about spelling.:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:[/"

"Tool around" was the vernacular of the day then, I presume you thought i meant "fool around", back to the drawing board Roger....:beer::moon::whistle::secret::active:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back