No 240 volt supply? (1 Viewer)

longdog

Banned
Apr 16, 2013
Funster No
We're having a house full this Christmas so I popped out to the van, (2009 reg Ace Adventurer), to run a hoover over the inside only to find no 240v supply!

Now I leave the van hooked up on my driveway and it was OK yesterday, the leisure battery was charging and everything was hunky-dory, now today, zilch! The 12v is fine but the liesure battery is not charging and the 240v 3 pin sockets don't work, the Truma isn't working and neither is the 'fridge. None of the circuit breakers have tripped and no fuses have blown.

I have done the basics regarding the 240v supply from my house to the van and that's all fine. My suspicion is that it is the Nordica Electronica power supply/battery charger that has failed. Can anyone offer any suggestions on my somewhat sketchy description please?

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
An electrician would measure the voltage both sides of the circuit breakers.
Have you operated the test button on the RCD in your van? if it does not trip you either have no earth or NO supply

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2013
S. Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
The usual
Exp
Since the beginning
I assume you've checked the basics - all breakers (and RCD) are switched on ?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 29, 2011
Urmston, Manchester
Funster No
MH
Former owner.
Exp
June 2012
I had a similar problem recently, the electrobloc was not charging leisure batt, 240v system still worked though.
I was told to check output of leisure batt without EHU and again with EHU there should be quite a difference, mine stayed the same so had to send away for repair.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
like most things it will hopefully be simple, once you know what it is

we occasionally have to switch our power supply on and off to restore correct operation

good luck

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
We're having a house full this Christmas so I popped out to the van, (2009 reg Ace Adventurer), to run a hoover over the inside only to find no 240v supply!

Now I leave the van hooked up on my driveway and it was OK yesterday, the leisure battery was charging and everything was hunky-dory, now today, zilch! The 12v is fine but the liesure battery is not charging and the 240v 3 pin sockets don't work, the Truma isn't working and neither is the 'fridge. None of the circuit breakers have tripped and no fuses have blown.

I have done the basics regarding the 240v supply from my house to the van and that's all fine. My suspicion is that it is the Nordica Electronica power supply/battery charger that has failed. Can anyone offer any suggestions on my somewhat sketchy description please?

The power supply/battery charger failing wouldn't stop the sockets, heating and fridge from working though so its unlikely to be the root cause. Is there power at the socket that your hookup lead is plugged into? Is that socket a 16 amp blue type or a standard household 13 amp socket and you use an adapter lead? If the latter then check the fuse in your adapter lead's plug.

D.

dabhand

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2014
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Concorde carver E35
Exp
Since 1993
On my van there is a switch on the habitation panel which turns off 12 v power to the habitation area, it is not an RCD as at the fuse board, and has been switched off inadvertently in the past. See if you have one!

dabhand

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2014
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Concorde carver E35
Exp
Since 1993
Check for fried mice, sound like the guy in the chippy don't I!

OP
OP
L

longdog

Banned
Apr 16, 2013
Funster No
An electrician would measure the voltage both sides of the circuit breakers.
Have you operated the test button on the RCD in your van? if it does not trip you either have no earth or NO supply

Yes, I have tried the RCD re-set and no, it doesn't trip.

I am using my EHU (orange) lead with an adaptor for my household 3 pin socket.

I have checked and swapped fuses, I have 2 EHU leads and have tried both without success. There simply does not appear to be any power at the RCD panel.

I haven't checked the connections on the adaptor lead, I will do that this morning and let you know what I find.

Many thanks for your contributions and suggestions so far, I really appreciate it.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
just for a sanity check plug something into the socket you are using to be sure it is live, presuming you haven't already done that or used a multimeter to check for 240V

OP
OP
L

longdog

Banned
Apr 16, 2013
Funster No
The power supply/battery charger failing wouldn't stop the sockets, heating and fridge from working though so its unlikely to be the root cause. Is there power at the socket that your hookup lead is plugged into? Is that socket a 16 amp blue type or a standard household 13 amp socket and you use an adapter lead? If the latter then check the fuse in your adapter lead's plug.

D.

Hi Dave,

There is power at the socket in my garage and the socket is a domestic 3 pin socket. The plug has a 13 amp fuse and that has been swapped and checked. I have just checked the adaptor lead and that appears to be fine too.

No RCDs on my domestic supply have tripped and none in the van either, in fact, when I press the Test button on the RCD panel in the van nothing happens.

If I start the engine and check the display panel, then it shows that the leisure battery is charging normally, (although I guess this is separate to the Nordelectronica power unit/ charger?

OP
OP
L

longdog

Banned
Apr 16, 2013
Funster No
just for a sanity check plug something into the socket you are using to be sure it is live, presuming you haven't already done that or used a multimeter to check for 240V

Hi David, yes, done that! However, thanks anyway because 9 times out of 10 it is something simple that has been overlooked and I am scratching my head and waiting for the light bulb moment and hoping it's nothing serious.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Nordelectronica power unit/ charger?

If this unit has an off switch, just try switching off and on again, I can see it will sound unrelated, but our too clever for its own good Hymer has sometimes had odd electrical issues, we have twice fixed them by this procedure. The seller told us about this problem and the fixing tip after we had paid the money

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Thanks, but what exactly does this mean?
As you have nothing working then either the live or the neutral is broken.
An electrician would test with a voltmeter at the end of the hook up lead between live and neutral and live and earth. Both should read mains voltage.

Another cause of the test button not working is that the switch is already in the OFF position

OP
OP
L

longdog

Banned
Apr 16, 2013
Funster No
As you have nothing working then either the live or the neutral is broken.
An electrician would test with a voltmeter at the end of the hook up lead between live and neutral and live and earth. Both should read mains voltage.

Another cause of the test button not working is that the switch is already in the OFF position

Thanks again, I have 2 EHU leads, one that I keep in the van the other I only use when my van is parked up outside my house. As I have no power with either, then I guess it is safe to say that the issue is on the van?

On the Nordelectronica unit, there does not appear to be an on/off switch, just the 4 trips and a re-set button.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Yes that is fair to assume as it WAS working. I'm not familiar with Nordelica kit.

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
I'm not familiar with your MH but you have no power getting to your board, the fault must therefore be between your socket and board. Do you have any way of testing connections other than using the MH? Saying you have two wires, do you have 2 adapters as well?

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Then it can only be a loose connection either on the RCD itself or the back of the hook up point on the van wall. Disconnect the mains lead from the van before removing covers

OP
OP
L

longdog

Banned
Apr 16, 2013
Funster No
Took the unit out, can't see anything as obvious as loose or chewed wiring, guess it's a trip to an electrician after Christmas

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
As both your leads dont work i would suspect the 230v wiring between the hookup socket and the fuse box could be mouse chewed.

Also, try pushing the RCD trip lever all the way down then back up.

Dont know that type but some do need manually setting in both directions before power is resumed.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
No good Brian. That will show voltage but does not prove a circuit.
You need a voltmeter live to earth and live to neutral to prove

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
No good Brian. That will show voltage but does not prove a circuit.
You need a voltmeter live to earth and live to neutral to prove

Of course it's good, if a live wire goes dead half way problem solved. Neutral fault is a bit of a problem.

But these volt sticks are essential to all MHs, very quickly find if you tripped the outside post breaker or it's inside.

Happycampers1

Free Member
Jun 18, 2014
St Leonards, Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon Tiki 665
Exp
Might sound like a stupid answer but we lost all our 240v recently and we were connected to EHU. I tried everything including checking each fuse. It turned out that I had put something in the locker where the fuse box is and it had knocked the switch off. Really annoying but glad it was simple. I know better now!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back