Have you had a private parking invoice? (1 Viewer)

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
This may be of interest even if you have already paid it.

Why I'm suing all UK parking companies. Help by sharing.

Quote: I'm not some mysterious parking enthusiast with a vendetta against the parking companies. I have two First-class Law degrees from Cambridge (at Bachelor's and Master's level): I know an injustice when I see one. I'm taking all the parking firms to court to get everyone refunded for good reasons.

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Had 2. Asda and Aldi...
Both the fault of women in the family who use my car, go shopping and then pass me the mess to deal with. !!

Used the web for research and especially pepipoo.com ..
Ignored both and never paid a penny...

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
Whilst I agree it is an injustice I can't see anything ever being done about it and I imagine with the money these guys are making their lawyers will be bigger than his lawyers...

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 24, 2009
bedworth warks
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
2009 previously a tugger for thirty years
I didn't go on his web site to look and whilst I am in agreement in principal with his sentiments about these people praying on the unwary/ill-informed.

I have to question wether he will be asking for donations in support of his proposed law suit has he seen a way of raising a lot of cash for himself?

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
I didn't go on his web site to look and whilst I am in agreement in principal with his sentiments about these people praying on the unwary/ill-informed.

I have to question wether he will be asking for donations in support of his proposed law suit has he seen a way of raising a lot of cash for himself?

Ahh.. Now you are thinking like I do !
I guess I have just been around the interweb too long and see a scam everywhere..

PJGWiltshire

Free Member
Mar 11, 2013
Arundel
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2009
Although the guy is trying to get the law changed it will take time. If any MH owners get a so called parking ticket( in fact they are just invoices) whilst say in a supermarket car park do not pay you will never need to pay if you follow the guidence on pepipoo.com. I have had a few as I have a tag axle and the parking companies of various supermarket that use so called enforcment think they can charge when it is a free car park. They are very easy to beat with a template appeal. If anybody needs any help PM me

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
Would have thought that if this bloke is a well versed in law and as clever as he says he is, he would know his chances of claiming damages from every parking company, on every occasion on behalf of every person given a parking invoice is probably good as mine to become the first person driving a motorhome to find a parking spot on the moon

Reactions: GJH

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
Although the guy is trying to get the law changed it will take time. If any MH owners get a so called parking ticket( in fact they are just invoices) whilst say in a supermarket car park do not pay you will never need to pay if you follow the guidence on pepipoo.com. I have had a few as I have a tag axle and the parking companies of various supermarket that use so called enforcment think they can charge when it is a free car park. They are very easy to beat with a template appeal. If anybody needs any help PM me

I just advise people to read up on pepipoo. No matter what you do.. If they wish.. They can take you to court and you can lose (the amount you lose is obviously what we all hope stated cases sort out) and people should be aware of this.

Furthermore... This has reminded me. Inconsiderate drivers who park selfishly and with no regard for others or for the owners of land need to be dealt with in some way.
Getting rid of clamping was good. But that doesn't mean it's a free for all.

Oct 27, 2013
Portglenone, Northern Ireland.
Funster No
MH
Elddis Magnum185GT
Exp
Since July 2012
Just been looking at Pepipoo. Seems to be all about speeding or have I missed something? Can't find owt about parking fines etc.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
There has been a bit in the press recently about private parking charges. Apparently they cannot charge a penalty for overstaying, only a charge which reflects their loss. So if they charge say £3.00 for an hour of parking and you stay for two, they can only charge you for the extra hour, which would be £3.00. What they can't do is try and charge you £80 or £90 or whatever. This counts as a penalty and is not permissable in contract law unless you have explicitly agreed.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
There has been a bit in the press recently about private parking charges. Apparently they cannot charge a penalty for overstaying, only a charge which reflects their loss. So if they charge say £3.00 for an hour of parking and you stay for two, they can only charge you for the extra hour, which would be £3.00. What they can't do is try and charge you £80 or £90 or whatever. This counts as a penalty and is not permissible in contract law unless you have explicitly agreed.
It depends whether or not they can show that the difference is an administration charge of a reasonable amount - the extra that it costs them to pursue the payment over the supposed direct loss. The amounts that they end up with are often not far different from those which apply to fines in a local authority car park and it can be argued that if it is justifiable for LAs to charge that much why not for a private company?

Whether the opinions of a brand new law graduate with no practical experience (and who apparently, prior to going to university, "spent 5 years as a computer game developer, creating online games that were played by millions." even though he is still only 22) remains to be seen but a definitive court ruling is probably required to clarify the matter.

As sure as eggs are eggs, though, if the court does rule against the current charging model for private parking it is bound to be replaced by another because companies are not going to stand for their car parks being overrun by commuters and others blocking their customers. They will come up with schemes which force payment, such as pay on exit barriers - which could well end up costing everyone more, not just those who breach current parking contracts.

Jazzbow

Free Member
May 13, 2012
West Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
new
I'm more interested in his effort to get the DVLA to stop providing our details.

OP
OP
John & Joan

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
Email from challengethefine.com
Parking firms this year will give out more fines than santa does gifts

Ok that isn't true.
Thank you for opening the email though – only around half of you will do that!
And within that half, only about 10% of you will share this onto someone else.
That means around 5% of the mailing list are doing all of the work!
To the 40% who read this and do nothing: if you want to see the DVLA and parking firms destroyed in court (as well as see people/ yourself compensated), you'll need to put in *slightly* more effort! Just share this and get others to join in. I've made it really easy :)

200 people signed up yesterday.
Please forward/ share and let's get 500 to join today :)

Michael Green, Founder
www.challengethefine.com

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
if you want to see the DVLA and parking firms destroyed in court
Now that, if anything else, puts me off. Why is that people take a destructive attitude rather than constructive?

If parking in this country isn't allowed to be controlled it will disappear, to the detriment of all of us. If anyone doesn't want to be charged what they think is an excessive amount to park it is totally in their hands - go and park elsewhere.

Nov 6, 2013
S. Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
The usual
Exp
Since the beginning
Surely if you enter into a privately owned supermarket car park, you do so under their T&Cs ?
If, for example, there's a limit of 2 hours parking and you overstay:
1. Why shouldn't you be expected to pay ?
2. Who the hell wants to waste 2+ hours in a supermarket ?

If truth be known, Michael Green (owner of the website), got caught and "fined". Rather than accepting he was in the wrong, he's now going to waste a large chunk of his life (and money) on a pointless quest.
Too many people today think / believe they have a God given right to life for free, or at the expense of others.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Surely if you enter into a privately owned supermarket car park, you do so under their T&Cs ?
If, for example, there's a limit of 2 hours parking and you overstay:
1. Why shouldn't you be expected to pay ?
2. Who the hell wants to waste 2+ hours in a supermarket ?

If truth be known, Michael Green (owner of the website), got caught and "fined". Rather than accepting he was in the wrong, he's now going to waste a large chunk of his life (and money) on a pointless quest.
Too many people today think / believe they have a God given right to life for free, or at the expense of others.
That's why I say have some sort of overstay charge that you pay there and then and cut out all these parasite firms, courts and all the rest, must be a better way!

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
If truth be known, Michael Green (owner of the website), got caught and "fined".
I didn't realise that. I thought, from looking at his web site, that he was just another of those people who picks the "facts" to match his case.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
That's why I say have some sort of overstay charge that you pay there and then and cut out all these parasite firms, courts and all the rest, must be a better way!
How do you do it though?
If a motorist pleads that he has no cash on him the parking warden can hardly march him to an ATM (assuming he has a card).
The companies which enforce the rules are there because it is cheaper (as with so many matters these days) for companies to outsource the work. The alternative of supermarkets and the like doing their own enforcement would be for the higher cost to be passed on to all customers.

As posted previously, perhaps one way would be pay on exit barriers - but the costs of installing and maintaining those would have to be met and people who overstayed would still complain.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Yes but if you knew
How do you do it though?
If a motorist pleads that he has no cash on him the parking warden can hardly march him to an ATM (assuming he has a card).
The companies which enforce the rules are there because it is cheaper (as with so many matters these days) for companies to outsource the work. The alternative of supermarkets and the like doing their own enforcement would be for the higher cost to be passed on to all customers.

As posted previously, perhaps one way would be pay on exit barriers - but the costs of installing and maintaining those would have to be met and people who overstayed would still complain.
Yes but surely it's better fo everyone if you know you were going to pay a reasonable charge on the way out , probably on a riseing scale say £2 first hour then a pound an hour more for every extra hour, like £3 for next hour £4 for the next and so on, if you know when you go in you have got to have some form of payment to get out , you would make sure you had it.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Yes but surely it's better fo everyone if you know you were going to pay a reasonable charge on the way out , probably on a riseing scale say £2 first hour then a pound an hour more for every extra hour, like £3 for next hour £4 for the next and so on, if you know when you go in you have got to have some form of payment to get out , you would make sure you had it.
That would work if there were no time limit but not if it were a 1.5 hour or 2 hour maximum as so many car parks are. There would still need to be a disincentive to long stayers.

Perhaps a standard £100 charge with a £98 discount for those who left within 2 hours would work :D

Nov 6, 2013
S. Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
The usual
Exp
Since the beginning
I wonder how Mr Green would feel if one of us used his drive / parking space for an over nighter ?
Kinda handy as he's on the way to the ferrys/tunnel.
Registrant Name: Michael Green
Registrant Organization: Michael Green
Registrant Street: 9A Tunbury Avenue Walderslade
Registrant City: Chatham
Registrant State/Province: XX
Registrant Postal Code: ME5 9EH
Registrant Country: GB

I'm sure he'd be the first to cry if someone parked on his private property ... even though he feels the need to do it to others how and when it suits him !

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
That would work if there were no time limit but not if it were a 1.5 hour or 2 hour maximum as so many car parks are. There would still need to be a disincentive to long stayers.

Perhaps a standard £100 charge with a £98 discount for those who left within 2 hours would work :D
That is the disincentive if they are going to keep paying more, in my example they would be paying £9 for three hours as opposed to £2 for one hour and so on £14 for four hours, £20 for 5 hours

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
That is the disincentive if they are going to keep paying more, in my example they would be paying £9 for three hours as opposed to £2 for one hour and so on £14 for four hours, £20 for 5 hours
Sorry, I mis-read "a pound an hour more for every extra hour, like £3 for next hour £4 for the next and so on" as being £3 for 3 hours, £4 for 4 hours and so on. Yes, I agree, that might well work, it all depends on how desirable it is to keep to a 2 hour limit.

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
A mate of mine runs an enforcement company, not a parking company. He manages several industrial sites including felixstowe dock. He doesn't bill you for parking, he bills you for tresspass.

Ian

Reactions: GJH

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I'm sure he'd be the first to cry if someone parked on his private property ... even though he feels the need to do it to others how and when it suits him !
I was taken to task by someone elsewhere for daring to suggest that a woman who had ignored large signs and parked for way over the time allowed had brought her troubles on herself. I then found that the person who criticised me runs a company on a trading estate with private parking for the businesses and signs warning about the consequences of unauthorised parking :LOL:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back