LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
Can anyone tell me if during the MOT the mechanic would have any reason to remove the front fog light bulb housing?

We had the van MOT'd which it passed, but had to take it back for front to back brake pipes to be replaced. Driving home tonight, all of one and a half miles, the front bumper caught fire!! After arriving at the campsite following the obvious dithering of "where is that burning smell coming from, look under bonnet, back to dash, back to bonnet, look down SHIT the bumpers on fire, dash to hab door to get fire extinguisher, put fire out and admire the new hole in the bumper. Needless to say very very unhappy.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Believe nothing should be removed, repaired, etc at an MOT.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
He would be in deep sh!t if he did and it was proved he caused the fire.

A tester cannot dismantle or remove anything during a test.......the vehicle must be tested as presented........simple failures on bulbs etc can, at the testers discretion, be repaired after the test but before a test is recorded as complete but not physically during a test.
it still has to be recorded as a fail then a pass.
saves having to book a retest for a very minor repair.
not all garages offer this.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Sandra I don't really get your question, you drove home from the MOT without an issue, then returned for the brake pipe work, following that extra work you had the problem

I still cant think why the bumper or fog light would be involved with the brake pipe change, but the MOT bit seems irrelevant

edit = thinking about it, there isn't much space on Hymers for working, it is quite likely the bumper might have been removed, that might disturb the fog light

I am presuming it is the fog light that has 'caught fire'

Last edited:

teddybard

Free Member
Aug 21, 2012
warwickshire
Funster No
MH
c
Exp
5 years
So sorry to hear -- wishing you all the best in sorting it out and hoping it doesn't spoil your imminent plans because you so deserve it all to be ok after the time and effort you have both put into your new lifestyle -- be lucky -- :xThumb:
Sheila and Roger :xsmile::xsmile:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
I cant see any reason for the mot tester or the mechanic changing brake pipes to remove a bumper. on the good side, at least it happened locally and not abroad and you noticed the fire before it really took hold and did massive damage

OP
OP
Armytwowheels

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
So we are left with scenario #1 they change the bulb, or knocked the bulb housing out while doing the brake line replacement.
Or scenario #2 all work recently done is just a coincidence and the bulb housing was working it's way loose and this would have happened sooner or later.

Thanks Roger and Sheila, we have until Monday to sort this out before we leave the and until the 27th before we leave the UK. Colin will try to repair the fog light tomorrow but has taken loads of photos of the damage in case we do need to take it further.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I cant see any reason for the mot tester or the mechanic changing brake pipes to remove a bumper. on the good side, at least it happened locally and not abroad and you noticed the fire before it really took hold and did massive damage
Neither can i.......

The pipes will be in the same place whether it be an A class, C class or Bob the builders van....at the rear of the engine bay and down the inner wing panels, certainly no further forwards.
front to rear pipes will follow the engine bulkhead from the master cylinder and along the chassis to the rear.

sadlonelygit

Free Member
Jan 28, 2014
forest of dean
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
since 1975
on our old (1996) hymer both front fog lights had melted their housings. front fogs aer not tested for the MOT and are a fair way from the brake pipes! glad you caught it before serious damage was done.

teddybard

Free Member
Aug 21, 2012
warwickshire
Funster No
MH
c
Exp
5 years
Reading other forums I think its a Hymer Problem probably not the MOT garage (Who did the Mot by the way?)

OP
OP
Armytwowheels

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
Thanks for the replys. We haven't had time to get it fixed yet but have to give the garage some credit for offering to repair it for free when we are back in the spring.

Life has been stupidly busy getting everything sorted for our new life style, this little hic up nearly pushed us over the edge. Sounds a bit dramatic but it's all been a bit stressy. Still hopefully this time next we will be enjoying the snowy slopes of the alps.

Silkcut1105

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 3, 2011
Swansea
Funster No
MH
autotrail chieftain
Exp
Since 1991
colin ive a good idea ???? take mike and carol with u hes great at putting out fires.get it sorted and enjoy your hols .take spare bulbs .

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Life has been stupidly busy getting everything sorted for our new life style, this little hic up nearly pushed us over the edge. Sounds a bit dramatic but it's all been a bit stressy. Still hopefully this time next we will be enjoying the snowy slopes of the alps.

:cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:
Now take a DEEP BREATH, count to ten then start again.
:xcool::xcool::xcool::xcool::xcool::xcool:

Nope, it don't work for me either:xrofl:

PS: You've got a PM (conversation)

Happy Christmas

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread