Staysure, waste of money (1 Viewer)

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
i have touched on this before but no one seems to think it's a problem, they have just been on the phone so I have asked the direct question, do you have to book a return ticket at the same time as your going out one, and it was an emphatic yes, even if it is a yearly multi trip policy.
So in effect even though we had paid £150 each we were not insured last year when we were away five weeks without a return ticket, so what's the point of having it, ok for short trips when you more than likely won't need it any way, but no use at all if you are going for more than 30 days together or on an open ended trip.
Anyone know different?

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
I doubt any others are different! If this the case no problem. With tunnel frequent traveller being so flexible will book a return in future...Have changed crossings 4 times in the past, its easy online....

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
The return trip clause has been mentioned many times. Often by me after I found out.. We took Staysure out for the 2013 season and like many others used to book a single ferry ticket out and buy another online a few days before the return.. Someone mentioned the return trip clause and I moved from Staysure when they hiked the premium up for 2014...
Currently with LV, I did query the return trip with them on the phone and they said it was fine.. Never managed to get it in writing though...

Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
Where's the logic in that clause? I can't see how it affects anything. I never book returns nowadays until a day or two before because of the silly prices that ferry companies like DFDS charge for changes to the booking. I never imagined that would have an effect on the road insurance. Does this also apply to travel and breakdown policies?

OP
OP
chaser
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Where's the logic in that clause? I can't see how it affects anything. I never book returns nowadays until a day or two before because of the silly prices that ferry companies like DFDS charge for changes to the booking. I never imagined that would have an effect on the road insurance. Does this also apply to travel and breakdown policies?
This is not road insurance, this is travel and medical

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
Who says that you have to use the return ticket? Book a cheap return (Calais to Dover for example) pick a ridiculous time, like 2 in the morning, you can get them for about £50. Then come home when you feel like it, either before or after?

[Edit to add]
On a number of occasions I have booked return travel because it made the ticket cheaper than one way, even though I had no intention of using one leg of the journey! Might be worth looking into.

Last edited:
OP
OP
chaser
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Who says that you have to use the return ticket? Book a cheap return (Calais to Dover for example) pick a ridiculous time, like 2 in the morning, you can get them for about £50. Then come home when you feel like it, either before or after?

[Edit to add]
On a number of occasions I have booked return travel because it made the ticket cheaper than one way, even though I had no intention of using one leg of the journey! Might be worth looking into.
Yes you are quite right, not disputing there are probably ways around it but for anyone who doesn't know about it will be blissfully traveling about haveing paid their £200 or whatever, totally without any insurance because of this, as someone else mentioned you could book the tunnel back at the same time then alter it at a later date, but if they have the slightest chance of not paying out on a technicality , you can bet your bottom dollar they will do.

Feb 25, 2013
Staffs
Funster No
MH
A big white thing ???
Exp
3 yrs, (tenting and tugging before)
I was told that it is a holiday insurance and if no return is booked it is not classed as a holiday. So invalid insurance. She did say all holiday medical insurers have the same policy and the only way round it is to get backpackers insurance!!!

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
Same here with Staysure last year. Didn't read the small print until 3 weeks into our trip. Emailed them and they said if I booked a return while I was in France we would be covered.
Made sure I booked a return this time when we booked with carefree. C&cc club.

Bruce

Free Member
Aug 12, 2012
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER FLAIR
Exp
TWO YEARS
Just another thought we had a short break to Majorca in October, while we were there a lady had a nasty fall down the stairs and fractured her skull and had to receive an emergency operation .Her son had to fly over straight away and when handling her insurance was told that because she had alcohol in her blood stream her insurance was null and void. This lady was not drunk by any means, so this indicates that anyone that takes a drink on holiday will have wasted their time taking out insurance in the event of an accident. Any thoughts on this.................Bruce

Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004

[Edit to add]
I booked a really cheap return with said DFDS, needed to get back a day early, they charged me 3 times the original 2-way cost for the single return journey, and the ferry was nearly empty, about 30 cars on board, cerainly less than a hundred. So I have never used them since, which I reckon has cost them quite a few hundred pounds. Of course, they don't know that, but I do. So there!

Last edited:

bryandh

Free Member
Jan 17, 2011
Malaga, Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class. FFB Tabbert 570
Exp
Since 2010
Like Tonka and other funsters on the Morocco 2013 trip, we had an "open ended" return ticket purchased from the famous Carlos in Algeciras. In an attempt to cover all the bases, we like many others took out what we believed to be appropriate and adequate medical cover for the trip........... with Staysure!!!! Alarming to now discover that we were not covered for our stay as our return portion of the trip although purchased, was not a dated return.
Many thanks for the heads up, will study small print more closely in future, and will certainly avoid Staysure.

Regards, Bryan

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2011
Urmston, Manchester
Funster No
MH
Former owner.
Exp
June 2012
Just another thought we had a short break to Majorca in October, while we were there a lady had a nasty fall down the stairs and fractured her skull and had to receive an emergency operation .Her son had to fly over straight away and when handling her insurance was told that because she had alcohol in her blood stream her insurance was null and void. This lady was not drunk by any means, so this indicates that anyone that takes a drink on holiday will have wasted their time taking out insurance in the event of an accident. Any thoughts on this.................Bruce

Just shows they will find any excuse not to pay out on a claim.

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
And there can't be many people who don't take a drink when on holiday. So any insurance must be void? Whether a return is booked or not?

OP
OP
chaser
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Just got to make sure your e111 or whatever they call it now is up to date, then I think the others are pretty much useless in our situation

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
I can no longer get cover for pre-existing medical conditions - and have a feeling that if I did fall ill on holiday it would be blamed on the pre-existing..... so if and when we do venture across the channel will see if the household insurance can be extended to cover the contents of the motorhome. Otherwise motorhome contents might be uninsured or at our own risk. I am not suggesting anyone else does this - it's just a possibility I am thinking about.

Okay so repatriation won't be covered if I fall ill but as I am happy to say I would be treated elsewhere in Europe if necessary I don't really see a problem with this.

cruiser

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 12, 2012
northampton
Funster No
MH
coach built elddis 400
Exp
since 1978
can someone tell how to win.

OP
OP
chaser
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I can no longer get cover for pre-existing medical conditions - and have a feeling that if I did fall ill on holiday it would be blamed on the pre-existing..... so if and when we do venture across the channel will see if the household insurance can be extended to cover the contents of the motorhome. Otherwise motorhome contents might be uninsured or at our own risk. I am not suggesting anyone else does this - it's just a possibility I am thinking about.

Okay so repatriation won't be covered if I fall ill but as I am happy to say I would be treated elsewhere in Europe if necessary I don't really see a problem with this.
Stay sure don't insure your contents, I think it's only medical and just what you can get in a suitcase, it's geared for an hotel holiday of a fixed time not motorhomes specificly

OP
OP
chaser
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Don't know if there is a moterhomers all in insurance , going to do a bit of digging!

stcyr

Free Member
Apr 11, 2011
Normandie
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
On & off, since 1966 - fulltime since 2005
We had to change a booking just once, with DFDS, when the car broke down. They charged us €10.
For about 20 crossings over the last couple of years we've always booked single trips (only due to not knowing at the time how long we wanted to stay in the UK) and every time but 2 it worked out cheaper than booking a return.

OP
OP
chaser
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Okay so repatriation won't be covered if I fall ill but as I am happy to say I would be treated elsewhere in Europe if necessary I don't really see a problem with this.[/QUOTE]
Have often thought about this as well, unless you were really very ill and couldn't move , if you have someone with you , the very nature of a motorhome means you could lie in bed in the back while your partner brings you home, sorted:xThumb:

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Have often thought about this as well, unless you were really very ill and couldn't move , if you have someone with you , the very nature of a motorhome means you could lie in bed in the back while your partner brings you home, sorted:xThumb:[/QUOTE]

And you can stop as often as you want to rest - travel by ambulance or ambulance car is very uncomfortable. Luckily I've never needed air ambulance.

Or you rest up on a site somewhere until you can fly home by commercial airline or be driven home in easy stages as said above.
(sorry the quotes got mixed up)

injebreck99

Free Member
Dec 5, 2011
norfolk
Funster No
MH
Low profile C Class
Exp
Since 1997
I've been trying to get travel insurance for our trip to see family in Vancouver next year, policy prices have risen dramatically , because of where we are going, my turning 70 next year, and existing medical conditions, nothing that bothers be I might add, so we may knock the trip on the 'ead and tour Europe in the M/H instead.

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
I've been trying to get travel insurance for our trip to see family in Vancouver next year, policy prices have risen dramatically , because of where we are going, my turning 70 next year, and existing medical conditions, nothing that bothers be I might add, so we may knock the trip on the 'ead and tour Europe in the M/H instead.

I haven't used this organisation personally, but my sister recommended them highly for obtaining travel insurance for pre-existing medical conditions at competitive prices. She's used them and is pleased with the cover she has been able to obtain.

http://www.payingtoomuch.com/

Mike

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back