vaillant water heater (1 Viewer)

D

dru

Deleted User
Hi guys, I would be obliged if anyone could tell me how to light and operate the Vaillant gas water heater as fitted to the Autosleeper I bought recently - I have tried the net but can only find the more modern version instructions. Hope the photograph helps -- any info much appreciated, thanks, Drew
photo:

htr.jpg

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
I am sure they are all the same (assuming it is gas) turn the knob to small flame position and hold in whilst the pilot is lit (press the igniter, you will hear it click until pilot flame lights) then wait approx 30 secs before releasing the knob, if the flame goes out you need to hold the knob in longer. Then turn to the large flame position and away you go. If the pilot goes out no matter how long you hold the knob in then you probably have a defective thermocouple, they are not expencive to replace, under a fiver.

OP
OP
D

dru

Deleted User
vaillant htr

Hi Roger, thanks for reply - have you any idea what the little red button just above the taps on the front cover is for? and yes it is gas. Sunny up here in SW Scotland but brrr cold!!! Merry Christmas, Drew.:Smile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
if the red button is not the igniter, press it, does it click? No, then it is the gas feed, hold it in and keep pressed whilst you turn the igniter which will be one of the others, keep it pressed in for about 30 secs to make sure the thermocouple gets hot.
you should have two or three controls, one lights the pilot (sort of start and run positions may be push to ignite) the other regulates the temperature and possibly a third if it has a seperate igniter.

FRESHMAN

Free Member
Oct 7, 2007
north yorshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since may 07
vailant water heater

hi
looks to me as if the little red button is just the marker to tell you what setting you have got the water heater on.yhe bottom knob is the temprature control,you turn it clockwise to make the water hotter.:Smile:

adventure

Free Member
Oct 16, 2007
somerset
Funster No
Exp
25 years
Hi Drew

To operate your water heater do the following, switch on the water pump and make sure you have free flow of water from your hot tap, switch off tap, make sure your gas is on and the gas tap for the water heater is switched on ( there will be a seperate isolater but this is probably already on) the red spot is just a marker, turn the knob clockwise until you hear a click, you have just tried lighting your water heater it will kost likely not light as if it has not been used for a while you will nedd to bleed the gas through to do this turn the knob 3/4 of the way around but not far enough for it to click hold in this position for about 2 mins the pilote is very small and will take some time to get the gas through.
then turn the knob fully until you hear a click, now turn the knob back fully and then around again until it clicks, do this three of four times in succesion, on the third and fourth clicks look inside the small hole above the red spot and you should see a flame, when you see this flame keep the knob fully turned for at least two mins, release the knob and carefully turn it back until the little flame symbol on the knob lines up with the red spot, if the flame stays lit switch on the hot tap and the burner should kick in :Smile:

Easy

It is most likely you will still struggle to light the heater the reasons and explanation are to long to go into but if you pm me I can give you my number so you can ring me if you need more info

This is correct I fix these all the time

Nick

OP
OP
D

dru

Deleted User
vaillant heater

Hi Nick, really appreciate the instructions you have given and will try to operate the heater when the weather improves a bit as it has turned pretty cold up here - minus 3 to 4 and have drained the tanks as a precaution against frost damage. Just getting to grips with the autosleeper as you will see from my previous post and giving it a makeover ready for better weather (we hope). Thanks again, Rgds, Drew

Braunston

Free Member
May 21, 2008
Funster No
Hi,

If you haven't already drained the water heater i would suggest that you do, there is or should be a small screw on the right hand underside of the water section, (as you face the heater) which is at roughly a 45deg angle, the slot in the head will take a 2p piece if you remove it it will drain any trapped water in the heater itself.

hope that helps,

Hi Nick, really appreciate the instructions you have given and will try to operate the heater when the weather improves a bit as it has turned pretty cold up here - minus 3 to 4 and have drained the tanks as a precaution against frost damage. Just getting to grips with the autosleeper as you will see from my previous post and giving it a makeover ready for better weather (we hope). Thanks again, Rgds, Drew

nozzel

Free Member
Apr 6, 2008
Birmingham West Midlands
Funster No
MH
C Class & RV US
Exp
43 years
We have the same heater fitted in our Talisman,but the manual is in storage till at least May.
I'll try to help in steps
Check the flue is clear (no birds nest etc)
Switch on water pump. Turn on a HOT water tap...water comes out OK....if not there's a water shut off valve at the back of the heater just where the water supply pipe goes into the metal casting. Its a small grey/white knob....turn anti clockwise.....water runs now.....OK.

If the heater has not been used for some time the gas pipe must be cleared of air.....make sure the gas is turned on at cylinder and the heater stop valve (mines at floor leval,in a group, in the locker under the cooker). Now this is when I use one of those long hand held gas lighters. Turn the large knob on the front (2 black dots and a flame) clockwise. You'll feel it snap as it operates the spark ingniter and then comes to a stop.....hold it against the stop (this is letting the air out and the gas to flow) at the same time put the gas lighter to the pilot light. It may take some time to clear the air out, its a long pipe from the valve to the heater at a low pressure.
When the pilot lights up, take away lighter, but hold the knob in that position for at least 15-20 seconds to allow the thermocouple to work, then loose the knob.(don't turn it) the pilot light should stay on. If it goes out turn fully back, then start again but hold for 20-25 seconds.

Turn hot water tap on, main burner will light, it may smell due to dust/fluff, flame should be blue with a touch of white on the top.......control the water temp with the smaller knob
(clockwise hotter)

The next time you light it you should only need to turn and hold the large white nob. Well may be 2-3 times after that I use the lighter. If you see it spark you know it air not gas your trying to light.

WARNING
Don't leave water in the heater in the winter if you do and it freezes ice will split the diaphram. Many $$$$$ to repair if you can get the parts.

Drain system

Turn off the inlet water at the stop valve (grey/white knob..clockwise) next to it there is a small metal pipe about 3/8"dia 2"long with a brass cap nut on the end. Open all hot water taps, then remove cap nut to drain heater. If you've a good pair of lungs, get your head into the sink and blow the remaining water out.

Hope it all works for you.....I've all the manuals for the 1992 Autosleeper Talisman equipment I'll scan and email any part too you, It won't be until we return from the USA . May.

OP
OP
D

dru

Deleted User
water heater

Hi nozzel, thanks for the very helpful instructions on the heater and the advice. Would not have thought to use a gas lighter to ignite the pilot and have taken that on board, thanks also for the tip on draining the unit - I have only opened the taps and will certainly make sure the unit itself is properly drained, thanks again, Rgds, Drew. :thumb:

D

Divauk

Deleted User
Hi guys, I would be obliged if anyone could tell me how to light and operate the Vaillant gas water heater as fitted to the Autosleeper I bought recently - I have tried the net but can only find the more modern version instructions. Hope the photograph helps -- any info much appreciated, thanks, Drew
photo:

htr.jpg

Hi Dru - I have the same water heater as you in my Autosleeper and have been told the diaphragm is broken (probably frost damaged) and that I will need a replacement boiler. The water has been drained from it, coz there's a sticker on it saying so. The trouble I have is that I'm not sure what model this boiler is, can't seem to find it on the web, just the more up to date ones, like the problem you had. I know you can get replacement diaphragms, I just need to know which one to get. Did you manage to get a manual for the boiler? Do you know what the model number is?

chuck

Free Member
Mar 16, 2011
south
Funster No
MH
truck conversion
Exp
20 years
photo:

htr.jpg
i no this threads a bit old but have just had a right pain getting one of these heaters to work the info here has helped me a lot thanks but for future ref for people finding this info .after getting the heater working properly after changing a couple of parts i still had the problem that the water was only comeing through luke warm even with the water down to a slow trickle .the cause was i was running butane. changed it over to propane and bingo scorching hot water at a good presure the reason is propane runs at a higher presure and produces a fiercer flame .propane also works well down to 30 minus where as butane will only work down to 4or5 minus so better in the winter or colder countries
i now know why for the last 10 years my grill wont toast a piece of bread faster than 20 minutes.hopes this helps any future visiters to this thread.
chuck:thumb:

littlehouse

Free Member
Jan 25, 2011
Decize France
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Driver 52
Exp
valliant heater

Thanks, Adventure! I tried your advice (just before buying a new one) and it works fine, I'll probably donate the saved cash to a Scottish distillery or a similar type of charity Cheers, Little House.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back