buying a gunny for them long nights (1 Viewer)

BONZO

Free Member
Mar 1, 2012
Rotherham
Funster No
MH
Kon tiki 30ft
Exp
Dose anyon know witch gunny is the quietis one to run M.H. The winter is not doing it for my sola panels so when off the grid we tened to run out of power as the heating runs off batt as well (blow. Air ) tv. Lights. Not a problem in summer.
Ps and is there a good output to look out for.

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
Just for basic running of electrics, ie charging , Low voltage Micro wave ...

A Honda 1L.... Economical reasonable to run and tucked up in the right place (And Chained to M.Home) about the best for reliability...

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
What's a gunny?

Thanks
If thats a genuine question...its a generator.

If its having a dig at poor spelling....thats contravening forum rule #1.

As a new member you maybe dont know rule #1 but its in the forum rules.

Rule 1 Be Nice.

This is a civilised place for public discussion. Help us make this a great place for conversation by always working to improve the discussion in some way, however small. If you are not sure your post adds to the conversation, think hard before posting. Be agreeable, even when you disagree

We do not allow personal attacks of any kind against other members of the forums. Offensive, insulting, profane or vulgar remarks are strictly not allowed. As is telling others to "get a life" or that they or their comments are "stupid" "Crap" or "Bullshit". If you strongly disagree with a post then your reply should address the post and not question the intelligence or parenthood of the poster. Instead, provide reasoned counter-arguments that improve the conversation. There are plenty of forums that allow members to be discourteous toward each other, this is NOT one of them.

Spelling and grammar pedants are never nice, correcting other members spelling or grammar even in jest is strictly forbidden.

Last edited:

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
Bonzo in answer to your question there seems to be general dislike of generators purely for the reasons you outlined. They are really unpopular at sites and many think they spoil wild camping and increase your chance of being moved on.

Honda do some good machines that are quieter than the rest and small too but they are on the pricy side.

What sort of time are you planning to be off grid? Could you boost your battery capacity enough to charge when you are on MHU?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
If thats a genuine question...its a generator.

If its having a dig at poor spelling....thats contravening forum rule #1.

As a new member you maybe dont know rule #1 but its in the forum rules.

Rule 1 Be Nice.

This is a civilised place for public discussion. Help us make this a great place for conversation by always working to improve the discussion in some way, however small. If you are not sure your post adds to the conversation, think hard before posting. Be agreeable, even when you disagree

We do not allow personal attacks of any kind against other members of the forums. Offensive, insulting, profane or vulgar remarks are strictly not allowed. As is telling others to "get a life" or that they or their comments are "stupid" "Crap" or "Bullshit". If you strongly disagree with a post then your reply should address the post and not question the intelligence or parenthood of the poster. Instead, provide reasoned counter-arguments that improve the conversation. There are plenty of forums that allow members to be discourteous toward each other, this is NOT one of them.

Spelling and grammar pedants are never nice, correcting other members spelling or grammar even in jest is strictly forbidden.

I think the reply was probably intended to be humorous given that it's obvious that that the OP was referring to a generator, at least it was to me, so reading the riot act is well over the top and I don't remember anyone being given a policing role, thats up to Jim. On the other hand, I expect the OP is capable or reporting the post if upset by it.

Teddyj

Free Member
May 10, 2013
St Neots
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2009
Yes I thought it was a generator,but had never heard one called a "gunny" so I just asked the question, not having a dig at the O P
Your reply I feel was rather unnecessary, but thanks for the apology.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
To answer the OP.. Honda make the quietest petrol generators.. the 1kva, Model EU1000i,being the smallest and quietest.. however.. noise is relative.. on a quiet night, even a whisper quiet Honda can be heard miles away and apart from annoying neighbours.. the constant drone will do your head in..

At almost £1,000, to buy plus running costs, that would pay for a lot of nights on a CL with an EHU ..

IMO Winter in a van is best spent 'on grid'. You can then enjoy all the toys, watch TV , run the heater blower or an electric heater.. without fear of a flat battery and a freezing cold van..

Last edited:
Aug 30, 2012
Home of the war horse
Funster No
MH
burstnar T640
Exp
We have a kippor 750 watt not the most powerful thing in the world but it will charge up battery's and run a very small 500 watt fan heator
But it is a little :xrofl: more noisy than a Honda
And would take a long time to charge up batterys to any where near full
We can go off grid for about 3 days in winter on leisure battery's before getting into trouble 2 batterys 100 amp each
I would look at increasing your battery size or fitting 2 or more if you have space
Or do a little research on B to B or A to B chargers that way you can run van engine to charge up your leisure batterys very quick this will be my next project for our van
And don't worry about spelling on here their not a bad old lot and there are some on here who are just as bad
me included at times spellchecker rules I would be lost without it :)

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
actually a gunny sack is what soldiers put bodies in........... if it gets cold enough, hee hee

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
To answer the OP.
As you are not going to be using it for hair friers and the like, even a small 600w jobby will fill your need
Personally I would look at a 1000w one to cover a few more bases,,,,

The three main contenders are
Honda ( Mega expensive but bloody good )
Kipor .. Reasonably priced and have owned them on and off for the last 8 years.. not had any issues apart from the occasional brain fart and I sell them on.. then go and buy another bugger !
And the new option that is becoming very viable.. The Clarke models
Until last year I knew no one who had one of the wee blue beastys.. Now know about 5 or 6 out there and nary a negative word from the owners

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
WRONG !

FUN survives because we all police it. That's why we have a REPORT button to tell Jim because he has not the time to read every post.

WRONG Fun does not depend on members policing it. Rather they police themselves with the result moderators are not needed. On occasions we use the report button and Jim polices the forum. As he says don't respond let us deal with it,( if rules are being quoted)I do not believe anyone should take it upon themselves to police the forum, or but in on other people's posts by quoting rules at them other than Jim. Of course we may, and often do post opposite views or disagree but if a post breaches a rule its up to Jim to deal with. True he can't read everything, that's what the report button is for, to draw matters to his attention so he can deal with matters as he sees fit either publicly or by PM. There are no moderators on Fun as I understand matters (apart from Jim) long may it remain so.

It is accepted the post I referred to came over a bit harsh and fair play, apologies were offered. My view, to which I am entitled, is that I am very much against people acting as moderators and I stand by that. I intend no offence. But that is my view.

Last edited:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
My view, to which I am entitled, is that I am very much against people acting as moderators and I stand by that. I intend no offence. But that is my view.

It's pretty obvious that all 3 of us have one thing in mind, FUN. John was just protecting a member. You didn't like his wording but I'm sure you agree with his sentiments.

We are all here because of moderators, Nazi moderators in a dark place. No moderators are good. Moderators have the power to pull messages. Moderators are judge an jury when in fact fit for neither purpose. We don't have any powers, we just express opinions. I expressed an opinion that John had a right to his opinion, I wasn't bothered about the words, I knew what he meant. And you expressed an opinion on my opinion.

We're all on the same side here and I'm certainly not offended and hope you aren't.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
The only posts on this thread I am tempted to report come from a couple of life members. Chill out guys, a bit of humour is the best way to make your point. Not hectoring.

And to save anyone looking it up hectoring is posh-speak for bullying.

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
Dose anyon know witch gunny is the quietis one to run M.H. The winter is not doing it for my sola panels so when off the grid we tened to run out of power as the heating runs off batt as well (blow. Air ) tv. Lights. Not a problem in summer.
Ps and is there a good output to look out for.

Pity you not in Spain you could have bought my nearly new Honda 10i :xblush:

Dazzlin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 31, 2012
La Marina, Costa Blanca.
Funster No
MH
1986 Hymer A Class
Exp
From 2013
Quietest is in fact a fuel cell. Converts alcohol to electricity with almost no noise and no horrible exhaust.

Pity about the price though.

Only like converting alcohol to hangovers!
Thought quietest was solar? Lol

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back