SUGGY

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 23, 2011
scunthorpe
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
I Just found out about this , DDI , protection .

( maybe everyone else knows but me ? ) :Eeek: ,

If a company takes a Direct Debit for the wrong amount or on the wrong date
( also a few more reasons ) the bank will refund your account ,

I closed my Orange mbl account at the begining of September,

On the 24 November they took £156 from my account, ( no TX or Bill was sent to me ) ,

After many hours on the phone to Orange to no avail , ( They did admit that i did not owe them any monies ) .

So, i contacted my bank ( Halifax ) ,

They asked a few questions and under the rules of D D I they are refunding the £156, Result !:devil:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
I always found that Halifax are diametrically opposite Barclays when it comes to good service.. I personally do not actually bank with Halifax but have regular dealings with them and always think they do their level best to get things sorted out..
Barclay on the hand do their level best to do sweet fanny adams ! ( though perhaps this is just my local branch.. no idea nationally as I try to avoid them like the plague ! )

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Interesting....... That was a result.

....cue inevitable precitable Barclays bashing post........

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
We had a similar problem when we left Talk Talk, they simply would not stop taking the Direct Debit payments.
In the end we cancelled the DD with the bank and got an immediate refund.
However the bank informed me that although they had cancelled the original Direct Debit, that there was nothing stopping Talk Talk setting up a new one as they still had a signed Direct Debit mandate from me, which the bank was required to honour, until such times as I cancelled it again.
The moral of the story is that if you call your bank to stop a DD, keep checking your statement just in case the company sets up a new DD without you noticing

OP
OP
SUGGY

SUGGY

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 23, 2011
scunthorpe
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
The Indemnity (sometimes termed Guarantee) is printed at the foot of each DD form.

Thing is there was no form as itwas set up over the phone a long time ago when phones were the size of Breeze Blocks never mind House Bricks , ( i still have my Motorola MBL )

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
Thing is there was no form as itwas set up over the phone a long time ago when phones were the size of Breeze Blocks never mind House Bricks , ( i still have my Motorola MBL )

Is that the one from around 1989 with the hand set fitting on top of a very large battery, even came in a big bag with a strap :)

OP
OP
SUGGY

SUGGY

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 23, 2011
scunthorpe
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Funny you should say that Grahamwhen i made a new contract with Tesco they did'nt send me nowt ....

joncris

Free Member
Jan 11, 2011
Where it matters
Funster No
MH
Rimor Katamarano 12p +
Exp
The DD guarantee has been around for some time. The problem is that the banks continue to refuse to implement it AND some don't train their staff to even know it exists. Hence banks refuse to honour the so called guarantee Many consumers only get refunds AFTER complaining to the Banking Ombudsman or they even have to sue their bank forcing them to honour the guarantee

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
Strange. Mind you, thinking about it, I can't recall setting up a DD over the phone.

For a while now banks have allowed paperless direct debit. They are supposed to read out The direct debit guarantee and point you towards where it is written (paper or email). Cancelling the DD at the bank should prevent them from setting it up again but doesn't always and claikming indemnity gets you the money back but usually triggers collection procedures by the company as they will get notified straight away as well

Reactions: GJH

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back