Free Member
Oct 26, 2014
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
Coach
Exp
Swift Sundance 630G
My Swift Sundance 630 2007 lives on the drive and when at home I run an extension from the garage and plug in my Maypole maintenance charger which is wired to the engine battery.

I was wondering about plugging in the EHU and running the battery charger from one of the 240v sockets inside the MH.

My thinking is that this would keep both batteries charged.

I have no idea re split relays. It has no switch over switch.

Your thoughts.........

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
As long as it isnt a cheap anologue charger and the vehicle is secure then i see no reason why not.

A multistage charger will not overcharge your battery....an anologue charger probably will.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
that's exactly what I do on the current van with a maintenance charger. Must get round to fitting an equivalent to the battery master though. this shares the built in charger or solar charge if fitted to the engine battery from the leisure. just 3 wires to fit and under £22
Broken Link Removed

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 30, 2008
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since Dec 2008 after 10 years caravanning
Why use a battery charger when your m/h has a built in one that when on EHU it will charge both Batteries ?,

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Why use a battery charger when your m/h has a built in one that when on EHU it will charge both Batteries ?,
because on many vans, they dont charge both automatically and you either remember to switch between them each week or so or you fit a relay/baterymaster

Feb 8, 2014
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Eldis Majestic 115
Exp
Vans and tugs since mid 70's
my thought as well, unless preserving or extending the life of the van charger?

OP
OP
Patcherelli

Patcherelli

Free Member
Oct 26, 2014
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
Coach
Exp
Swift Sundance 630G
As far as i can tell it doesnt charge both and it doesnt have a switch to swap it over.
This is all i have

The charger is proper digital staged jobby designed for constant attachment long term.

Was just checking to see if anyone could think of anything I'm missing cos it seems too straight forward and I'm a pessimist. Lol

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    123.1 KB · Views: 18
Dec 30, 2008
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
25591, member: 33989"]As far as i can tell it doesnt charge both and it doesnt have a switch to swap it over.
This is all i have

The charger is proper digital staged jobby designed for constant attachment long term.

Was just checking to see if anyone could think of anything I'm missing cos it seems too straight forward and I'm a pessimist. Lol[/QUOTE]
On your control panel if you press the symbol of vehicle cab,a red light will illuminate providing you are on EHU and you charger is switched on, both your batteries are then charging.

Eric

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I do that in my van and in previous vans. I had one of the small CTEK chargers permanently wired into the vehicle battery and plugged in inside the van. Then when I was on EHU I automatically got the vehicle battery topping up.

OP
OP
Patcherelli

Patcherelli

Free Member
Oct 26, 2014
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
Coach
Exp
Swift Sundance 630G
25591, member: 33989"]As far as i can tell it doesnt charge both and it doesnt have a switch to swap it over.
This is all i have

Was just checking to see if anyone could think of anything I'm missing cos it seems too straight forward and I'm a pessimist. Lol
On your control panel if you press the symbol of vehicle cab,a red light will illuminate providing you are on EHU and you charger is switched on, both your batteries are then charging.

Eric[/QUOTE]

Thanks. I know when not on EHU that diverts power from the engine battery to the MH but didnt know it worked in reverse.
And it definitely does both at once?

Is that ok to leave long term?

Dec 30, 2008
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
What i do with mine, which is the same van, I switch cab charger on about once a week for about 4 hrs or so and that keeps it topped up,
hope it works for you.
Eric

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back