Free Member
Nov 18, 2009
Bolton
Funster No
MH
hymer exsis
Exp
10 years
I've never actually done it but I often wonder what happens if we do run out. I know in the old days it was OK to run out of petrol; you just poured another gallon into the tank. But I seem to remember that running out of diesel was a bleeding job (no pun intended). Is it still the same or do modern engines have some sort of cut off valves that prevents all the bother?

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
I thought all modern diesels self primed. They drain down when you turn the engine off so the fuel line isn't left pressurised and the same process that repressurises the fuel at start will prime the fuel system if you've run out?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
the mk7 transit can be very difficult to get away if you run out of fuel.. even changing the fuel filter can lead to problems if you don't brim full the new filter before trying to start it..
that's my experience anyway.
ta andy

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
I will have to be careful with my mk5 then. My mondeo starts fine after running out thankfully.

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
I thought all modern diesels self primed. They drain down when you turn the engine off so the fuel line isn't left pressurised and the same process that repressurises the fuel at start will prime the fuel system if you've run out?

No not all self prime, Fiat/Peugeot?Citroen have a priming pump in the tank that pushes the fuel up and the system can self bleed but Ford, Renault and Mercedes to name just 3 don't have the primary pump and will not self bleed, Fords are notoriously difficult to prime.

And the diesel systems do not drain down when switched off.

D.

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
You have to be careful when you change the fuel filter in a Vivaro, well the 53 model

You have to follow the instructions otherwise is a pain so they dont self prime

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting

They might depressurise between the common-rail & the high pressure pump but the actual diesel line from tank to pump is always full.

Running out; doesn't bear thinking about for me in any vehicle:xsad:(n).
Just in case you do run things close with fuel, here running out is actually an offence.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Not your problem if you have decent breakdown cover.

No breakdown cover in Spain for a local, means no insurance. I believe its compulsory with your insurance, that's why its illegal to tow.

Jan 22, 2013
London SE
Funster No
MH
A class Adria vision I707
Exp
since 1971
[QUOTE="dave newell lvs, post: 1223685, member: 4733"but Ford, Renault and Mercedes to name just 3 don't have the primary pump and will not self bleed, Fords are notoriously difficult to prime.

Not quite, my Renault master 2500 cc 2008 G9U engine has a low pressure pump in the tank and a squeeze ball by the fuel filter plus the high pressure pump on the engine,
But you would be foolish to run dry as the high pressure pump gets it lubricating from its fuel and would reduce its life if you tried to self prime only,
Basically don't run out!

D.[/QUOTE]

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
Its getting more and more like just being in Spain is an offence.
Yes they do have some that'll have you falling about. :)
Another one to catch you out is that it is illegal to wash your vehicle except in the garages & stand-alone car washes. That includes in your own fence & gated property !! :xlaugh:

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Hi.
It costs the same to FILL a half full tank,as to fill a tank HALF full... Here endeth the "Umpteenth" things to no about transport LOL !!!
You will find,that if the Red "Low fuel" light starts a winking miles from anywhere,serious damage can be done to the drivers seat,as your buttocks start trying to eat it.,. N'uff said.
Tea Bag

Stephen & Jeannie

Free Member
Aug 27, 2008
Gobowen near Oswestry !!
Funster No
MH
Sold and bought a Caravan
Exp
9 years !!!!
Hi.
It costs the same to FILL a half full tank,as to fill a tank HALF full... Here endeth the "Umpteenth" things to no about transport LOL !!!
You will find,that if the Red "Low fuel" light starts a winking miles from anywhere,serious damage can be done to the drivers seat,as your buttocks start trying to eat it.,. N'uff said.
Tea Bag
My 4000 th. post says......

OH how true!!! Happened to me in Spain a couple of years back.....in the sodding dark ! Pulled on to the closed garage forecourt in the back of beyond and stayed the night until they opened ! Now that's wild camping !
Lesson learned, always fill up when down to one third full !:notworthy2::notworthy2::notworthy2:

AuldCodger

Free Member
Nov 25, 2009
?
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
I may be wrong ( it has happened in the past ) but if your battery gets tired while self priming do not attempt a bump start. I am led to believe that is a big no no with modern diesel engines ???

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
I may be wrong ( it has happened in the past ) but if your battery gets tired while self priming do not attempt a bump start. I am led to believe that is a big no no with modern diesel engines ???
It is a definite no-no with the transits, they've hydraulic chain tensioners & the lack of oil pressure & a jump start will in 9 out of 10 cases do damage.

AuldCodger

Free Member
Nov 25, 2009
?
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
Must show this thread to the other half, two members agree I am right :D still doubt she will believe it possible :(

Bartyfixedit

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 11, 2014
Maidstone Kent
Funster No
MH
Self Build Ducato L4H3
Exp
Since 1987
My understanding is that you must NEVER try to bleed the high pressure side on a common rail engine; If you do, you risk a high pressure injection injury which at best results in amputation of the affected body part and at worst can kill you. Common rail injection pressures are massive!!!!! Over 15,000 psi!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:whatthe:
If you have run out then the system should self bleed before the battery is flat. If not seek a jump start or professional help. Do not go anywhere near the injectors with a spanner.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
It is a definite no-no with the transits, they've hydraulic chain tensioners & the lack of oil pressure & a jump start will in 9 out of 10 cases do damage.
Be interesting to see some proof of this.......

Why doesnt the chain jump with a fully charged battery.....if the oil pressure is lost then it will be lost regardless of battery state

It will be no different to a jumper lead start.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
A jump start can spike the ECU....no other reason not to use jump leads.

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
Which transits? Mine has a belt. I have no idea how I would even start to think about bump starting it though so I'm fine..

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
Jogged one of the last remaining grey cells, that was exactly what I was warned. At least I remembered "no jump start"

A jump start can spike the ecu of any modern vehicle if it isn't done right.. The answer is to do it right. Jump starting is always the method of choice to start a car with a flat battery regardless of the cause of the flat. You can't bump an auto anyway and trying to bump start a 3.5tonne vehicle is a pretty much non starter.. excuse the pun.

Nov 2, 2008
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
PVC, S&L Iveco
Exp
45 years
The reason is on a transit the starter motor turns the engine over in a slow controlled manner (sort of soft start) not a sharp shock as can be in a bump start.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I just carry a couple of gallons of diesel and if I am getting twitchy I can put some in for another 40 miles.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back