Digi-scoping anyone ? (1 Viewer)

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Just bought a second hand Opticron spotting telescope and interested in using it for taking photos.

Have tried it just holding my Fujifilm X100s camera to the eyepiece , that works ok but it really needs a mount.. but as far as I can find out the only way to mount it is to use a universal compact camera mount which is a bit clumsy ..I contacted Opticron and they only supply the universal mount..

I could buy a mount for my Nikon DSLR but that is more kit to carry ..

Or buy another compact camera with mounting kit from Opticron..

Looking for advice about the best way forward.. getting it wrong is expensive..

Result with hand held Fuji x100s camera ..quite pleased with this but would have been better if camera mounted properly..
BROKEN LINK

to give an idea of distance.. same view... (TV aerial on Chimney) no scope.

BROKEN LINK

Last edited:

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
I too have an Opticron scope and have sometimes thought about digiscoping. I'll watch this thread with interest.

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
This is interesting......... The scope must have been very well supported. Jim, any idea as to what shutter speed and lens aperture you used for that?

Looks like a good thread in the making :xThumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
This is interesting......... The scope must have been very well supported. Jim, any idea as to what shutter speed and lens aperture you used for that?

Looks like a good thread in the making :xThumb:

hi
thanks
Scope on tripod.. but still has camera shake due to being just held against eyepiece.. scope was on 20x magnification..

Camera setting. 1/60 at f2 ISO 800

Photo very slightly cropped to get rid of vignetting

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
I have a Swarovski scope and various Swarovski digiscoping attachments which I wanted for bird and wildlife photography but found by the time I had it set up the target had usually moved.:xdoh:

So after a few failed attempts I gave up ....... anyone interested in the attachments? (the scope is not for sale)

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
I have a Swarovski scope and various Swarovski digiscoping attachments which I wanted for bird and wildlife photography but found by the time I had it set up the target had usually moved.:xdoh:

So after a few failed attempts I gave up ....... anyone interested in the attachments? (the scope is not for sale)
Have you been in the rsbp shop at Minsmere it has some good displays for ideas.

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
yeah.. i can see that being a problem.. just back from Bawdsey Quay and a few more trials ..

nice sunshine, but too cold and windy.. brrrrrrrrrr
We love it down at BQ, it's a beautiful spot and fully intend to camp down there sometime in the new year when it's a bit warmer.

I have given up trying to photograph the little critters when out and about now and just happy to spot them through the scope or bins.

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Yes, certainly have:xThumb: .... and many of the other reserves too but not currently looking for anything new.
Well that was a bit of a cock up but I was using my phone without my glasses:xblush:
So I am going to try again with Jim.
Scotjimland.....Have you been in the rsbp shop at Minsmere it has some good displays for ideas.:xgrin:

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Martin has his Nikon camera mounted onto the celestial telescope using bits he got from ebay. Northern Optics was the supplier if I remember.

He has used it as a terrestrial scope as well. Amazing.

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
@Jean-luc thanks.. hadn't seen that one..

this is the one I was considering..
Opticron UDCA Digital Compact Adapter

and the reply to my enquiry to Opticron

Dear Sir

Thank you for your enquiry. Looking at the product specification and accessories available for your camera there does not appear to be any way we can make a direct connection between either camera and your telescope eyepiece. This means you have the following options open to you;

1. use the camera hand held

2. buy a universal bracket adapter like the 40849 UDCA http://www.opticron.co.uk/Pages/udca.htm

3. purchase a VG-180 DCC camera kit http://www.opticron.co.uk/Pages/telephoto_menu.htm It’s duplication of a sort, but it does mean you have a made to measure set-up ready to fit to your scope.

Whichever option you choose, the 40810 HDF T is the best eyepiece to have fitted to the scope for photography. It uses the same insert as the 40933 HR2 eyepiece and is supplied in the 50305 kit.

If you want to talk any of this through with one of the staff here please feel free to phone us anytime during office hours on the number below.

Opticron Sales

Tel: Broken Link Removed

Fax: Broken Link Removed

Email: sales@opticron.co.uk

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
ha ha.. you mean should I win the lottery... :xrofl:

don't do eating out ... sarnies and a flask :xThumb:
Their jacket potatoes or soup is very tasty as well as a number of other delights. It is nice to push the boat out occasionally spoil yourself. Sod the expense....... :xwink:

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
ScotJimland, I notice that Opticron have suggested you could talk to a member of staff. I have found them really helpful regarding a couple of queries I had. Also, when one of our pairs of 8x42 Imagic binos (mine not my wife's) started to lose its coating on the objectives, they replaced the lenses under their lifetime warranty without question and very quickly. The binos were about five years old at the time.

BTW what's with this @billbloggs link stuff in the replies? I've noticed it a few times in this new forum format. The link you put is not me by the way. There is another JL who joined in August but he has a hyphen and I don't. We had a similar potential for confusion when both members of 'facts'.

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
BTW what's with this @billbloggs link stuff in the replies? I've noticed it a few times in this new forum format. The link you put is not me by the way. There is another JL who joined in August but he has a hyphen and I don't. We had a similar potential for confusion when both members of 'facts'.

@JeanLuc sorry about that, .. the @ before the username alerts the user that they have a post addressed to them .

am calling them next week before I decide..

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Their jacket potatoes or soup is very tasty as well as a number of other delights. It is nice to push the boat out occasionally spoil yourself. Sod the expense....... :xwink:

pushing the boat out often leads to losing said boat.. :xwink:

seriously.. we rarely ever eat out.. not just because of the cost, although that plays a major part, it's more to do with quality and value for money which is totally lacking at most eateries.. fish and chips from a proper chippie being the exception ..ie one that doesn't use frozen chips or fish xroll:

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
Is the @link what puts a red Alert flag next to your name at the top right? If so, is it automatic or do you have to do something for it to happen? I just assumed that if I quoted someone in a reply, the alert flag would be automatic.

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Is the @link what puts a red Alert flag next to your name at the top right? If so, is it automatic or do you have to do something for it to happen? I just assumed that if I quoted someone in a reply, the alert flag would be automatic.

yes.. both ....
quoting and using the @ sign (with their user name) give an alert..
as you type the user name after the @ sign a drop down box comes into view to select the name.

Oct 1, 2007
Kirby cross further from londin
Funster No
MH
Between Motor homes
Exp
since 08
Just bought a second hand Opticron spotting telescope and interested in using it for taking photos.

Have tried it just holding my Fujifilm X100s camera to the eyepiece , that works ok but it really needs a mount.. but as far as I can find out the only way to mount it is to use a universal compact camera mount which is a bit clumsy ..I contacted Opticron and they only supply the universal mount..

I could buy a mount for my Nikon DSLR but that is more kit to carry ..

Or buy another compact camera with mounting kit from Opticron..

Looking for advice about the best way forward.. getting it wrong is expensive..

Result with hand held Fuji x100s camera ..quite pleased with this but would have been better if camera mounted properly..
BROKEN LINK

to give an idea of distance.. same view... (TV aerial on Chimney) no scope.

BROKEN LINK

many moons back i spoke to a twitcher
asked him how good his pics were
using a telescope and camera
i Also asked how he mated them

his reply was a plastic tube on the lens of the camera
atached to the eye piece on the telescope
suitably sized both ends so to speak

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
many moons back i spoke to a twitcher
asked him how good his pics were
using a telescope and camera
i Also asked how he mated them

his reply was a plastic tube on the lens of the camera
atached to the eye piece on the telescope
suitably sized both ends so to speak

yes.. that is basically what you require.. (y)

it's a bit like saying a camper van is just a van with a mattress on the floor.. :xlaugh:
both are correct..

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back