Motorhome Of the Year 2015 plus video reviews of 8 models (1 Viewer)

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
And one for N+B Flair, if you have a spare £200k you could own one, but wait for the ZF 8 speed auto though.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Wombles

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
We have Best Of 04 (2014 model) & love it but think this years Chausson models layouts weren't as good & Benimar shone out at the NEC show in the under 6m for design & price.

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
Watched the Flair video, interesting disinformation. He pointed to the 130 litre black tank and said it was the freshwater tank!! This new tank size [130 or even 170 as an option (170 exceeds the 40 us gl black tank on my US RV)] and re-plumbing of the black and grey is a new and excellent feature for the new Flair, yet not only does he fail to mention it but attributes the tank to something totally spurious. Also missing the point that the Flairs grey and fresh water tanks are in the double floor, positioned such that they can be removed through the garage for any service work. Makes you wonder what other glib comments are unfounded in these reviews??

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I got the same disinformation from a Concorde dealer at the NEC, put the fresh water in the Alde gas heater exhaust they said, then suggested what was actually the diesel tank, after that I stopped believing anything they said and decided we best stick with the old Flair.

OP
OP
Wombles

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Don't necessarily agree with reviews that say these models are best (still haven't watched video yet!) but videos give an idea of the new models & can save wasted trips travelling to see them at dealers. An example is the Chausson - much as we love ours we wouldn't choose the model that won as it has a garage door on the rear so can't fit a standard bike/box rack:( At the NEC show they had this one fitted with a high up rack above the door but that immediately ruled this one out for us. The Benimar was impressive with a layout & fittings like ours being Trigano group (obviously we like that!) plus design additions for the UK which improved on ours but only sleeps 2 whereas ours sleeps 3/4 so a big let down there (although 4 belted seats) plus don't know how good shell design is on Benimar & warranty length & small print so didn't compare with Chausson track record & 10 year shell warranty when we bought. It's all down to personal choice & what suits you - certainly have never found dealer sales staff very knowledgeable & always double checked any facts & figures.

gozomike

Funster Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 16, 2010
Warwickshire - sometimes - but not often
Funster No
MH
Wildax Constellation
Exp
Since August 2008
To me it's which manufactures lend them a 'long term test van' will get the best reviews. They seem to miss some of the vital area's. I have looked at a number of vans over the last couple of years, most of the ones from well known manufacturers had very small water tanks, poor storage with the main area's blocked with heaters, batteries and those cardboard air pipes, yet none of this is ever mentioned. They all seem to want a window in the toilet/shower room, I prefer not to be seen in there and find the sky light works for me.

As said they do give a little idea of the vans but are not good enough to be of any real use.

As for vans of the year, pick one from each manufacturer and you would not be far out.

One of my first thoughts when I saw the one I now have was that it had been designed by someone who uses them and has tried it out.

Feb 8, 2014
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Eldis Majestic 115
Exp
Vans and tugs since mid 70's
Yep another win for Chausson :xThumb:

just had a look at the kitchen, very small work area, doesn't look big enough to hold 2 plates with the sink open, and if you pull the bed down it covers the seating area so there is nowhere to sit if one of you wants to stay up unless you sit in the loo!! big oversize shower but hope its not a pot sink? still at 41k they'll sell well I should think.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Not too sure I like any of the new offerings
Kitchen areas are in general small, they seem to rely heavily on captains chairs and seem to make poor use of available space compared with older vans

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Want proper in depth reviews you can't beat the German mags...yet to see MMM weigh anything!

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
All the magazine reviews are crap in my opinion. The very worst are the CC magazine reviews!

The reviews would have more credibility if the authors actually dared stray away from fully serviced campsites and stayed in them for more than one night!

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Two posts in a row commenting on very small kitchens but they still keep producing van with very small kitchens, the Flair kitchen has got smaller since our 2006 van yet the overall vehicle has got bigger. One bright light on the horizon for kitchens in German vans might be the latest Concorde Credo or Hymer Duo as these both have larger kitchen work areas.

I do agree that these test are pretty worthless though as it only one person view based on how they use a van (if you use one at all) or how they think the viewer/reader uses a van.

Feb 8, 2014
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Eldis Majestic 115
Exp
Vans and tugs since mid 70's
Really could do with some input from our fulltimers on how they manage in these micro kitchens. We seem to have acres of workspace at home even with a dozen appliances cluttering it - microwave, toaster, phone, wine rack, sandwich toaster, bread bin, kettle, knife rack, tea-coffee-sugar jars:xsurprised:

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Two posts in a row commenting on very small kitchens but they still keep producing van with very small kitchens, the Flair kitchen has got smaller since our 2006 van yet the overall vehicle has got bigger. One bright light on the horizon for kitchens in German vans might be the latest Concorde Credo or Hymer Duo as these both have larger kitchen work areas.

I do agree that these test are pretty worthless though as it only one person view based on how they use a van (if you use one at all) or how they think the viewer/reader uses a van.
Yes, kitchens are an issue......... On the last comment, fully agree; I suppose that one view is better than none and at least it gives some sort of idea

Jul 3, 2008
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 700
Exp
since 1998
For me the best Van of the year is the van that ticks all the boxes (as near as dammit) for what suits me and for what I use it for

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back